Boston Gun club does a good job of not standing out

We shot matches there in high school (~1980). It isn't like it new building, LOL. We stored .22 lr target rifles AND ammo (dcm program) IN a Boston public high schools. Not even sure if my old high school still has the rifle club or not any more? People's attitudes about firearms back then were a bit different from today.

Some old videos of the range that popped up while I was looking at something else on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped in one or twice while working in the area, wish they had a way for licensed people to do some shooting there. No way I can afford to join just to hit it once or Twice a month.

And yes,I understand how complicated it gets having a range open to the public (aka have gansta-wanabee's at a unnamed place in Attleboro).

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

So how come Volusia county floridas sheriff department is able to run a fully public range in daytona? The amount of gangsters were low...I think shooting should be readily accessible like going to the store or the park.

So how come Volusia county floridas sheriff department is able to run a fully public range in daytona? The amount of gangsters were low...I think shooting should be readily accessible like going to the store or the park.

Because they have a population base that can support a public range and we do not. Pretty simple answer. Move to a gun culture state if you want to go to a public range. Seems simple to me. I can go to my local outdoor range at my club anytime I want, same as when I was a member of Lunenburg and Shirley.

We are back to the shoulds again aren't we. Instead of pontificate either move to Fl or try to change it here.

Another factor is that the a pain in the butt to get license is required to even possess a handgun in MA, and very few ranges where an unlicensed person can go in and rent a gun (for example, MFS is for students and LTC holders only).

Thus, the unlicensed gang banger wannabees concentrate at the very few businesses that will welcome them to rent a handgun without an LTC. In Florida, TX, etc. there are many choices so they do not concentrate at one particular range.

Have you ever BEEN to the range in Attleboro? It works in plenty of less "urban" areas in mass and north... just based on that one example I wouldn't be surprised to see one in boston shut down in a week due to idiots being idiots and trying to act thug...

Another factor is that the a pain in the butt to get license is required to even possess a handgun in MA, and very few ranges where an unlicensed person can go in and rent a gun (for example, MFS is for students and LTC holders only). Thus, the unlicensed gang banger wannabees concentrate at the very few businesses that will welcome them to rent a handgun without an LTC. In Florida, TX, etc. there are many choices so they do not concentrate at one particular range.

I think he is talking about a truly public range operated that's operated as part of the recreation dept. LA County had one, we had one in Colorado Springs. It is not a private business and there was no range fee or gun rentals. You went there with your gun and shot. As I recall you could buy targets, cleaning supplies, soft drinks and snacks. It was just like going to a municipal golf or tennis court. If you have only lived here you wouldn't get it.

I've shot at the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Dept. Shooting Range in FL. Very nice facility that is really the police training range (outdoors) but open to the public on specific dates. Deputies were cool as well.
http://www.pbcgov.com/fdo/admin/shootingrange/

Such a thing just doesn't exist in MA and never will.

Have you ever BEEN to the range in Attleboro? It works in plenty of less "urban" areas in mass and north... just based on that one example I wouldn't be surprised to see one in boston shut down in a week due to idiots being idiots and trying to act thug...

we need to bring shooting to the urban areas more than anything....as in legal shooting....community outreach of sorts....it needs to be more accessible....

BGRA used to host church and Boston Public Schools rifle teams for both practice and competitions until the 80s. The vilification and "othering" of shooting sports in the Boston politics around that time got those programs eliminated. It was around the same era all the local universities save MIT lost their rifle teams/ranges and the city passed the infamous AWB ban.

The club knows it is in a very politically hostile environment and I'm sure the ownership is wary of garnering any unwanted attention from city hall.

Another factor is that the a pain in the butt to get license is required to even possess a handgun in MA, and very few ranges where an unlicensed person can go in and rent a gun (for example, MFS is for students and LTC holders only).

Thus, the unlicensed gang banger wannabees concentrate at the very few businesses that will welcome them to rent a handgun without an LTC. In Florida, TX, etc. there are many choices so they do not concentrate at one particular range.

BGRA used to allow unlicensed members to use club guns to practice for their CCW test as long as they bought ammo sold by the club.

I think BGRA's big problem is their air filtration system. This will not be an easy or cheap problem to fix. The second problem is access. Members should be allowed 24/7 access subject to range closures due to rentals. I work nights and get off about midnight. If BGRA was open at that time I would join.

I think BGRA's big problem is their air filtration system. This will not be an easy or cheap problem to fix. The second problem is access. Members should be allowed 24/7 access subject to range closures due to rentals. I work nights and get off about midnight. If BGRA was open at that time I would join.

Do you really want to walk around that area at 0-dark-thirty??

Haven't been there since the early 90's. They use to let us qualify there, but even then it was pretty run down. Seem to remember a large MBTA Police door decal on one of the office doors.

Not sure if they had any affiliation with the club ?

The real surprising thing is mumbles didn't have the place shut down. He put the last gun shop out of business ( B&D Reloaders ) years ago.

As far as the neighborhood don't think Fieldsy is that bad. It just sucks parking anywhere in the city and that's why i would rather drive to Holbrook

True, but MA has a much higher density of private gun clubs.

because they have too......the laws regarding discharge and the like...the whole gauntlet of hoops make it very difficult to just go shoot on land.....like you might do in Florida or Georgia. that coupled with the fear many gun owners seem to feel about drawing attention....gun culture can only be changed one way.....put more guns in more homes....end of story. i had a talk with my buddy from Georgia the other day and he was talking all NRA speak and my angle was that the goal of current gun owners should be to put a 9mm in every bedroom in every city....its the way to change the culture.

anyway those are my opinions. side note the commonwealth needs more reasonable public ranges.....large outdoor....club like but public......

we need to bring shooting to the urban areas more than anything....as in legal shooting....community outreach of sorts....it needs to be more accessible....

Great idea, in theory. But try putting it into practice in a state where every friggin week you read the GOAL email or an NES alert about yet another community's moonbats trying to shut down yet another club/range/shop/etc.
These nitwits don't want any sort of "community outreach" nor any further "accessible" opportunities for law abiding citizens to shoot a, y'know, a g-g-g-GUN.
And try bringing anything Pro2A-oriented into Boston. Where the mayor is strongly Anti and "knows all about how bad guns are" cuz he was shot when he was young...shot when he was a young Dot-Rat punk, hanging around with other Dot-Rat punks (like me), but that part of the story is "not all that pertinent" in Boston. Guns are bad, cuz politics in the city dictate that guns are bad. The marijuana dispensary on Southampton Street (not far from where Marty - and I - grew up) was OK'd even though Marty "opposed" it, and the meth clinic in lower Southie is "progress" and "helping to straighten out poor, disadvantaged young souls"....
But a new place? One that offers anything that is pro-gun? In the city?

Ever see the movie Donnie Brasco?
"Fuggetaboutit".

I think he is talking about a truly public range operated that's operated as part of the recreation dept. LA County had one, we had one in Colorado Springs. It is not a private business and there was no range fee or gun rentals. You went there with your gun and shot. As I recall you could buy targets, cleaning supplies, soft drinks and snacks. It was just like going to a municipal golf or tennis court. If you have only lived here you wouldn't get it.
Kinda like MDC skating rinks with rental shops and a snack bar?

True, but MA has a much higher density of private gun clubs.

In my experience, law enforcement are worries about the liability of civilians shooting on their ranges, and private clubs are worried about the liability of law enforcment shooting on their ranges. This why they tend to be separate, with the exception of the few ranges that permit their local PD to qual to keep relations friendly.

Back
Top Bottom