• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Gun and Rifle Association

Can anyone recommend this gun club?

I just moved into Boston and I'm looking for a range where I can train with my Glock.

Proximity to the city is important because I don't have a car and I'd rather not have to use Zipcar every time I visit the range.

Thanks, folks! [grin]

I'm a member. Been so since '94, but primarily because it's so close to where I live.

From a facility standpoint, it's admittedly not the best in the world, but it'll do. There's about 12 or so stalls. Max distance is 15 yards. No restrictions on handgun ammo, but if shooting a rifle/carbine, you're limited to frangibles. Lighting could be better, but it's adequate. The hours on the weekend is good (9:00am to 9:00pm), but during the week, it opens up at 2:00pm or so (they rent the place to law enforcement during the week). They also hold a lot of safety and training classes as well in the facility.

The part I like best, and probably another reason, why I've stayed for so long is because the folks who volunteer to maintain the place and the members are really nice people. Many are LEOs or veterans like myself. Good folk to converse with and hang out at the club. Various matches are conducted on most Sundays. Massad Ayoob has been known to visit the club on various occasions at events.

The T-Station is practically next door to the range so you don't have much walking to do during inclement weather. If you ever do drive to it, parking can be difficult during the week if you want to park right out front, but it's pretty good on weekends. Of course, you can always just park around the corner at the shopping mall.

I'm a member. Been so since '94, but primarily because it's so close to where I live.

From a facility standpoint, it's admittedly not the best in the world, but it'll do. There's about 12 or so stalls. Max distance is 15 yards. No restrictions on handgun ammo, but if shooting a rifle/carbine, you're limited to frangibles. Lighting could be better, but it's adequate. The hours on the weekend is good (9:00am to 9:00pm), but during the week, it opens up at 2:00pm or so (they rent the place to law enforcement during the week). They also hold a lot of safety and training classes as well in the facility.

The part I like best, and probably another reason, why I've stayed for so long is because the folks who volunteer to maintain the place and the members are really nice people. Many are LEOs or veterans like myself. Good folk to converse with and hang out at the club. Various matches are conducted on most Sundays. Massad Ayoob has been known to visit the club on various occasions at events.

The T-Station is practically next door to the range so you don't have much walking to do during inclement weather. If you ever do drive to it, parking can be difficult during the week if you want to park right out front, but it's pretty good on weekends. Of course, you can always just park around the corner at the shopping mall.

+1 Thanks, Brian48, great info! I wonder if I could visit sometime just to check it out. Do you know who I should contact?

Boston is my 'home' club. True - the facilities aren't the greatest but the club is very lenient and incredibly welcoming to new comers. They've allowed me to do pretty much anything I want with my 'ladies groups' and last year they allowed me to affiliate them with USPSA and hold matches there. They hold matches every Sunday, ranging from pins and plates, PPC and action shooting. Unlike some clubs, you can draw from the holster and we regularly set up USPSA type practices. There's a 'core' group of folks that frequent the club so you'll usually find someone there to 'hang' with and pick their brain, if you want. More of a 'social club' type of atmosphere, especially on Sunday mornings. I also teach the safety class there on Saturdays.

You can pm me if you want and I'll show you around. I'll be there next Saturday teaching, there will be a pins and plates match on Sunday, starting at 9am and then on the 29th, there will be a USPSA match.

Donna

***** DON'T park at the shopping mall!!!!!!! They tow!!!!!!!

What is the policy for family members? I take my 9yo son to Braintree all the time, but the by-laws at first glance seem to say you need a LTC to shoot. Not a show-stopper, especially since I now live 1.5 miles away.

A member can bring a guest who pays a $10 guest range fee. I am a member there also. It is convenient to Boston and not too busy when I go.

Membership Range Fee $2.00
Guest Range Fee (family) * $5.00
Guest Range Fee ( Non Family) * $10.00

Are those RANGE FEES, per hour ? or, how long ?

I find BGRA is a good place for a quick weeknight practice session. Like every indoor range, you'll want to shoot plated or CMJ bullets.

Hello, does this range have a working website? Can't seem to find one.

How is this range now? Last post is from 2013. If I want to check it out, should I just stop by?

www.bostongunclub.net
Website was rebuilt by a member in not quite a professional manner and then never updated a few years ago. Edit: now I see that even that site is now down. Well shucks!

If you want information stop by there after 3pm during the week and speak with Pat. I'm still a member but haven't been there in years as the facility upkeep and infrastructure was less than desirable for an indoor range. Supposedly there have been "improvements" in the past year. Looking at the roof from the Red Line that doesn't appear to include any upgrades to ventilation system.

This is a first as far as I know for the BGRA outside of membership and classes:

Our Range Is Now Open To The Public
  • $75 Cash per person.

• Full hour of shooting fun.

• Includes gun (.38 revolver or 9mm semi automatic) ammo, firearms orientation, eye and ear protection, targets, and certified range officer.

• Additional ammo available at retail price.

• Must be 18 or older with a valid I.D.

• If you are a MA LTC holder, you are welcome to bring your own gun and ammo. The cost will only be $55.

• Coming soon: An assortment of long guns will be available.
Individual and group shooting

Is by appointment only

To schedule a shooting session please email Gary at:

[email protected]

I'm looking to join a club in the Boston area, and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the ventilation system in the indoor range and the overall cleanliness of the place? I'd love to have a nice spot to plink in the winter, but not if I'll be inhaling tons of lead each trip.

What is minimum distance to targets for non-matches? I love shooting the dot torture drill (https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture) but it's for 3 yds and from the holster

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom