Boston Globe, Daily Beast on "3D-printed gun" allegedly used in Rhode Island murder

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
The Daily Beast: Couple Gets Engaged, Uses 3D Gun to Murder Ex’s Mom: Cops
A just-engaged couple have been charged with murdering a 54-year-old Rhode Island woman, pumping 9mm bullets into her chest with what appears to be a 3D-printed gun, police said.

A photo of the suspects in bed, posted shortly after the shooting, bore the caption: “We some fighters and some shooters.”
Detective Sgt. Christopher LeFort of the Pawtucket Major Crimes Square said investigators are still examining the murder weapon, “but it does appear to be 3D-printed.”
The Boston Globe: Couple charged with killing mother in Pawtucket with 3D-printed gun
This handgun looks like the 3D printed gun that shows up in photos with Doherty on a Facebook account, LeFort confirmed. The Facebook photos show the gun as it’s being made.
Providence Journal: Pawtucket teen, N.Y. fiancé face murder charges
The gun that detectives seized was a 9mm made with a 3D printer, Lefort said, adding that the weapon is similar to a greenish handgun wielded by Doherty in an image posted on Facebook.
4 pics of the firearm, with context:

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=123842792436760&set=a.101328448021528&type=3&theater

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=113523146802058&set=a.101328448021528&type=3&theater

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=113924046761968&set=a.101328448021528&type=3&theater

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=119539656200407&set=a.101328448021528&type=3&theater

Pretty disgusting, hope they aren’t allowed contact from their respective prisons. Glad they caught them but clearly this will be used against law abiding citizens. That “custom mag well” though. :/

Last edited:
Looks like an 80% to me too! The Globe will lie as much as the NYT will. They are all owned and controlled by the same basic entity!

I just don't even understand the mentality of these types of individuals. Let me take a picture with my gun and post it to my social media. I literally can't even fathom.

it's kind of hard to understand mentality of crazy person set on murder.

So what's the scoop, they think that it may have been "prevented"? Is murder still illegal?

I don’t know anything about 3D printers to comment on that aspect, but I do know that psycho murderers gonna murder either way.

If they didn’t have the gun, they would’ve just stabbed or bludgeoned that poor woman to death.

It’s like saying if I don’t have a car then I can’t travel anywhere. Except for a bus or a train or a plane or an Uber etc etc.

PS F the Globe propaganda machine.

Me and my son have been 3D printing stuff for 4 years. Even with the article's mediocre picture quality, I can tell that if the frame was 3D printed, the printer was a "factory grade" one costing many thousands of $. No $750 printer can do what the pictures show.
Rhode Island has been trying to pass a ban on 3D-printed firearms as well as conventional home-built firearms since at least last summer. That could explain why Detective Sgt. Christopher LeFort of Pawtucket Major Crimes made the false claim. He probably knows the public will never know the difference and the rags will simply go along with it to play to their readership.

I don’t know anything about 3D printers to comment on that aspect, but I do know that psycho murderers gonna murder either way.

If they didn’t have the gun, they would’ve just stabbed or bludgeoned that poor woman to death.

It’s like saying if I don’t have a car then I can’t travel anywhere. Except for a bus or a train or a plane or an Uber etc etc.

PS F the Globe propaganda machine.

The media has been pushing 3d printed guns as a problem for a while now. There arent really any repeat use ones printed for obvious reasons. It's just part of a long game agenda to get them banned even if they really don't exist in meaningful ways.

That'a P80 grip. The only part that is probably confusing the cops is that the owner straight up painted it. He even says as much in the description on the last picture. The brush lines probably look like FDM lamination lines. No consumer grade 3D printer is going to get the P80 stippling right, and call me prejudice, but those two in the mug shot ain't figuring out sh*t for 3D printing, let alone getting this type of result. I've been 3D printing for 8 years and I'd be hard pressed to print a P80 grip that looks that accurate with the stippling, even with a pro-sumer delta printer.

The media has been pushing 3d printed guns as a problem for a while now. There arent really any repeat use ones printed for obvious reasons. It's just part of a long game agenda to get them banned even if they really don't exist in meaningful ways.

Oh I fully get that. My comment was just being able to ID from the photos if something is 3D printed or not. 👍🏻

Oh I fully get that. My comment was just being able to ID from the photos if something is 3D printed or not. 👍🏻

It looks injection molded.

consumer grade printers will leave a shit ton of artifacts like stinging, visible lines, seems, etc. some plastics are easier to work these issues out with and others allow for post printing finishing to remove a lot of it. That said I suspect the people here are right, it's one of those 80% glock frames.

3d printing is awesome (im actually printing stuff right now), but it's not particularly good at the demands of a firearm.

A couple of genuine losers.
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 11.50.11 AM.png
And no I don't believe for a minute that the gun was a "3-D printed gun". Just more fake-news propaganda from the Globe.
Some of my guns have 3-D printed parts (magazine blockers to comply with the 10-round limit). Does that make me a criminal?

I know some pretty smart guys that are working with 3D printers; they're not doing anything as complicated as that frame - and these two barely look smart enough to tie their shoelaces.

The gun in the pics, according to the article is NOT the supposedly 3D printed one. Those pics are from the shooter's social media posting. The only "proof" that a 3D printed gun is the statement by the police officer.

And I don't believe him. Poly 80's are simple to complete; I'm certain that's what's pictured here. After numbnuts finished figuring out how to tie his shoelaces - he finished a Poly80.

Homegirl is an addict. Those aren’t hickeys on her neck. She’s shooting up in her EJ because the other spots she could get a vein are infected, or too full of scar tissue. That’s deep into using.

Detective Sgt. Christopher LeFort of the Pawtucket Major Crimes Square told Daily Beast the murder weapon “does appear to be 3D-printed” and added, “It’s the first one I’ve seen used.”

Maybe the gun used is not the same as the gun in the photos.

I can't imagine this Detective not knowing what a P80 is.

If the gun used was the same as the P80 in the social media posts, that Detective is an idiot that needs to be schooled.

Maybe he does not know the difference between an 80% lower and a 3D printed gun.

If the shooter has an actual 3D printed gun there is no reason for him to use it if he has this P80.

Trying to reason this out.

It is more likely that the P80 was used and the detective has no clue about guns.

Homegirl is an addict. Those aren’t hickeys on her neck. She’s shooting up in her EJ because the other spots she could get a vein are infected, or too full of scar tissue. That’s deep into using.
She is the classic definition of a SKANK

3D printed handgun is just so gay and impossible. to be anything decent you would need to buy most of everything other than the frame. i would just buy a gun or make one out of a piece of pipe.

From the article linked by the OP, bold added by me.

LeFort said it was not clear where the couple obtained the weapon. He said it appeared similar to a gun Doherty was holding in a selfie posted to Facebook on New Year’s Eve.

The pictures in the article are not of the firearm used in the murder. They're scraped from social media by the press.

I still call BS on those idiots printing a gun. That's just crap put out by the cop and published far and wide by a media that knows very little about firearms.

OH NO GHOST GUNS
OH NO 3D PRINTED GUNS
THE SKY IS FALLING - WE NEED MOAR LAWS.

morons - all of them - the kids, the cop for saying that, and the press for printing it.

Back
Top Bottom