Boston Delivers! WooHoo!

Kevin l

NES Life Member
NES Member
Record time? Maybe. I was told to expect my license to show up between 6-8 weeks from date of application and it showed up exactly at 6 weeks! Neutered of course, but better than nuthin! This was the most excruciating month and a half I have ever experienced. My wife thought it would be funny to hide the letter from BPD until fathers day. She thought twice about that one after remembering since two days after the application was filed the first thing I went for was the mail instead of dinner when I got home!

Once my app was in at BPD, I was already buying cleaning supplies, looking at reloading presses, storage options, trying to decide what my first pistol, rifle and shotgun would be... Hell, I even put money down on a pistol that is way out of my league, not even knowing if the license would be denied! Man, do I got it bad.

List goes on, like my babbling is. Anyhoo, just thought I'd share with folks who understand my enthusiasm more than my wife does.

Kevin

PS- Any Boston folks interested in applying but discouraged about all the extra BS they put you through; feel free to contact me for any recent details of the licensing procedure or even if you want to get some practice in for the range test. (I'll be transferring that Ruger GP-100 into my name finally [smile])

Congratulations ~ Kevin l ~ on your LTC, I know the feeling well (waiting) but it sure is worth the wait. I think you’ll love your Ruger GP100, I bought a used one recently and really do love everything about it, looks, accuracy, strengh, etc. Which did you go for, the blue or S.S.?

Ruger_GP160.jpg

Ruger_KGP_151.jpg

I know I've become somewhat of a pessimist, but I get bummed out every time I see one of these posts.

First, it's sad that you should have cause to get excited when someone gives you permission to exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution. Second, it's even more depressing when the excitement is over a castrated version of that right.

I'm happy that you're happy.

I know I've become somewhat of a pessimist, but I get bummed out every time I see one of these posts.

Sigh... yeah. I know what you mean. But if you look past that and see only the enthusiasm of a newly interested person, it's not so bad. It's one more to add to the folks who can help us fight for our rights.

Kevin l, congrats on your pending first purchase!

I remember when I got my first license I went from the police station straight to Four Seasons and bought my first gun. It was a great feeling. Congrats!!!! However, he doesn't have an LTC he has a LTNC. (License to NOT carry) haha

Pete

Sigh... yeah. I know what you mean. But if you look past that and see only the enthusiasm of a newly interested person, it's not so bad. It's one more to add to the folks who can help us fight for our rights.

Kevin l, congrats on your pending first purchase!

Indeed, his enthusiasm put a smile on my face as well this morning.

Congrats!

My app took exactly 7 weeks when I applied in Boston two years ago.

Martlet, while I agree in principle, getting a right to possess license in MA is still a good first step on the road of responsible firearms ownership and use. I came from Maryland, which doesn't require a license to possess but has other requirements such as registration for handguns/AWs, waiting periods on the same, and LTCs that are almost impossible to get for non-business owners (state issued, not locally). Thus, as a result, while the very idea that I needed to have a license just to possess firearms and ammo was anathema to me, I had also never considered the possibility that I could CCW. (I still can't, and I don't intend to stay long enough that I move to a jurisdiction where it is possible), but the very fact that these licenses are possible to get in most states awakened me to my God-given rights.

Let us enjoy adding another firearms owner to the family and hope that in the future those with restricted licenses will find themselves in a more favorable jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I understand Martlet's pessimism, but unfortunately, at this point I am going to take what I can get and be happy with it. The only thing that I can do to change things is to continue to write the politicians, support GOAL and the NRA, vote and try to get others to understand and likewise support our RKBA. Living in Boston and MA sucks, but I've got a step-daughter who actually likes to go to school at Boston Latin, so I've got to put her first. We're trying to convince my stepson to go next year because he is sometimes too smart for his own good, but doesn't like the purple school colors. It looks like I'm stuck here for at least one more renewal. Otherwise, I would've been gone long ago.

6Hold- The GP100 that I "own", but asked my brother to help buy is the SS version with 4" barrel. I wanted something that I could practice the range test with, but also be a good middle of the road beginner gun. They changed them so that they have the Hogue grips instead of the wood panel grips. That was a little disappointing because I like the appearance of the panel grips much more, and my pot holder hands have trouble with the tiny molded grips. A friend of mine had a bunch of the original style and gave me a set. Much nicer! I'll be taking possession of this beaut this weekend.[smile]

Bugs100- I joined Braintree R&P. Looks like a nice facility, heard lots of good things about it and can't wait to make use of the membership. Only thing I wish was a little less strict is the guest policy. I've got at least four friends at work who want to consider becoming gun owners, but with a one guest per month policy it will be slow moving.

I'll be spending all but what is necessary to keep my savings account active tomorrow on my first FTF! Only problem, I called all over and no one has any ammo![frown]

Thanks again everyone!

What kind of ammo do you need? A bunch of stores in the area. In Cambridge, you have Roach's which usually has the major calibers in stock. Out in Waltham, you have Law Enforcement Equipment which has a nice supply of everything, and another store near City Hall. Dicks in Dedham isn't too far and has the major calibers. Further out, you've got the big stores like Four Seasons and Collectors which both stock everything.

Keven, IMNSHO, you got a perfect first gun. You'll love it, and the more it's used and cared for, the better it will shoot.

You might look at a good .22 next, it will be cheaper to practice with, and there is always... "One More!"

Good luck

Bill

Now go apply to Maine and NH for a CCW no restrictions and make yourself happier! It will cost you $100.00 for the two of them.

Keven, IMNSHO, you got a perfect first gun. You'll love it, and the more it's used and cared for, the better it will shoot.

You might look at a good .22 next, it will be cheaper to practice with, and there is always... "One More!"

Good luck

Bill

+1 on the .22

What kind of ammo do you need?

Looking for .50 AE, see link for my first acquisition. I tried all the shops around here, no one had it on the shelf. If I have time, I'm going to try Zero Hour in Easton. I know, not a choice piece for a beginner. The temptation was too much to resist. If I ever get a chance to go to a group shoot, I'll be bringing it.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=501414&postcount=60

I have been looking for a nice .22LR revolver to get my wife and kids started, but haven't found what something that catches my eye yet. The Remington 552 rifle in the link above is really nice shooting .22 CB rounds, I think my pellet gun makes more noise.

As for uncastrated licenses, I've got paperwork for CT, and waiting for the next round of UT classes to come around. I think I just missed one.

Here's a cool image the GP100 in action at Riverside Sat. evening.[smile]

GP100_2.jpg

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom