Boston clerk "Fired" for not fighting armed robber (CAUGHT!)

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/r...iffer_on_robbery_fallout/srvc=home&position=7

Sides differ on robbery fallout
By O’Ryan Johnson
Saturday, January 3, 2009 -

The serial robber knocking over stores in the South End and Back Bay has stolen hundreds of dollars and may have cost a clerk her job.

A 21-year-old college coed working alone at night was held up last week by the notorious crook with a scar over his right eye. The next day, clerk Tiffany Papadopoulos said, she was fired when she tried to call out of work at Darque Tan, telling her manager she felt unsafe working the night shift alone, the day after she was robbed.

“He walked to the counter. He handed me a note. It was in blue ink. It said, ‘Give me all your money or I’ll kill you.’ I said, ‘Oh my God are you serious.’ I’m doing the rosary in my head. I was like, this is not happening right now,” said Papadopoulos, a Northeastern student. “I just needed a couple days to feel safe again. She (manager Elise Crevier) said, ‘If you don’t come in today at 2 o’clock, you are fired and last night was your last night at Darque Tan.’ ”

Reached by the Herald, Crevier disputed Papadopoulos’ account and denied she had been fired, but declined to elaborate. A second manager confirmed for the Herald that Papadopoulos had been fired after the Dec. 27 robbery but declined to discuss the reason. Darque Tan regional manager Joshua Miller initially told the Herald Papadopoulos was not fired, but then acknowledged she had been. He then said Papadopoulos was paid a sick day for the day after the robbery that she missed, but he claims she “abandoned her job” after that. Papadopoulos said after the initial call in which she was threatened with termination, she heard from no one at Darque Tan.

Police sources said cops who responded to the robbery last week were stunned when Crevier complained that the coed hadn’t fought the robber. Crevier boasted that she herself fought back when the store was robbed weeks before, Papadopoulos and a police source said. Cops told Crevier people should comply with a robber’s demands, then dial 911.

Papadopoulos said she’s hurt by the treatment she received.

“The only person I talked to was my manager telling me I was fired,” she said. “The police officers have called to check on me to see how I was doing. I’ve known them for like 30 seconds. I knew these people for

Last edited:
sounds like time to let all you friends and anyone else who will listen to not use Darque Tan. Poor girl, really, what was she supposed to do? We can get into arguments about carrying a firearm, etc etc, but that doesnt help since the incident is over. I absolutely understand her not feeling safe at her job anymore.

I bet Darque Tan has a corporate policy to not carry and cough up the cash. This manager is probably going to have "issues" if this makes it up the chain. No BS job is worth your life. It is one thing if she chose to fight back, but to be told to fight back is a whole other ball game.

seriously...every chain I know of has a policy of NEVER fighting the robber/shoplifter. Give them the goods and walk away. It's not worth the legal hassle to have an employee or the robber get hurt on your property for the hassle.

She did the right thing....gladly I don't tan, but if i did, I would change places.

Sounds like she's better off not working there. They leave her alone and defenseless and than fire her because she's afraid of getting victimized again. If she was my friend of relative I would tell her to move on and never look back.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/r...iffer_on_robbery_fallout/srvc=home&position=7

Sides differ on robbery fallout
By O’Ryan Johnson
Saturday, January 3, 2009 -

The serial robber knocking over stores in the South End and Back Bay has stolen hundreds of dollars and may have cost a clerk her job.

A 21-year-old college coed working alone at night was held up last week by the notorious crook with a scar over his right eye. The next day, clerk Tiffany Papadopoulos said, she was fired when she tried to call out of work at Darque Tan, telling her manager she felt unsafe working the night shift alone, the day after she was robbed.

“He walked to the counter. He handed me a note. It was in blue ink. It said, ‘Give me all your money or I’ll kill you.’ I said, ‘Oh my God are you serious.’ I’m doing the rosary in my head. I was like, this is not happening right now,” said Papadopoulos, a Northeastern student. “I just needed a couple days to feel safe again. She (manager Elise Crevier) said, ‘If you don’t come in today at 2 o’clock, you are fired and last night was your last night at Darque Tan.’ ”

Reached by the Herald, Crevier disputed Papadopoulos’ account and denied she had been fired, but declined to elaborate. A second manager confirmed for the Herald that Papadopoulos had been fired after the Dec. 27 robbery but declined to discuss the reason. Darque Tan regional manager Joshua Miller initially told the Herald Papadopoulos was not fired, but then acknowledged she had been. He then said Papadopoulos was paid a sick day for the day after the robbery that she missed, but he claims she “abandoned her job” after that. Papadopoulos said after the initial call in which she was threatened with termination, she heard from no one at Darque Tan.

Police sources said cops who responded to the robbery last week were stunned when Crevier complained that the coed hadn’t fought the robber. Crevier boasted that she herself fought back when the store was robbed weeks before, Papadopoulos and a police source said. Cops told Crevier people should comply with a robber’s demands, then dial 911.

Papadopoulos said she’s hurt by the treatment she received.

“The only person I talked to was my manager telling me I was fired,” she said. “The police officers have called to check on me to see how I was doing. I’ve known them for like 30 seconds. I knew these people for

I have never in my life heard of cop - especially a Boston cop - calling to see "how I was doing". She must be hot.

all i can find on facebook:
s500899848_3176.jpg

I bet Darque Tan has a corporate policy to not carry and cough up the cash. This manager is probably going to have "issues" if this makes it up the chain. No BS job is worth your life. It is one thing if she chose to fight back, but to be told to fight back is a whole other ball game.

The small c store owners are ready for action unlike the chain ones.

seriously...every chain I know of has a policy of NEVER fighting the robber/shoplifter. Give them the goods and walk away. It's not worth the legal hassle to have an employee or the robber get hurt on your property for the hassle.

She did the right thing....gladly I don't tan, but if i did, I would change places.

Absolutely - because if they had in their policy that the employee must/should resist - and doesn't provide training, weapons etc on how - and the employee gets hurt or killed they're liable for it. The manager's a moron - if it's true.

The other side is she may have been the worlds worst employee and this was the final straw.

Looks like she was fired for not coming to work the next day, not for failing to 'fight off' the guy.

No one is asking her to be a hero, but folding like a chair is not going to get you much sympathy. Add to that calling out because of a note you read the day before, and any other problems she might have had. You can easily find a better person than that to work your salon.

Looks like she was fired for not coming to work the next day, not for failing to 'fight off' the guy.

No one is asking her to be a hero, but folding like a chair is not going to get you much sympathy. Add to that calling out because of a note you read the day before, and any other problems she might have had. You can easily find a better person than that to work your salon.

If you are not joking then I'd say you must have nerves of steel. You are talking about a young woman who is working part time while she's in college. This woman is alone, working at night when the robber comes in. He hands her a note, she reads it and is struck with fear. I'd say her reaction is normal. The next day, she is still shook up. Granted she is probably more traumatized by thinking about what could have happened to her instead of what actually did. She asks for the night off and is told that if she doesn't report to work she is fired. As far as she is concerned, she is fired. Why report to work if you've been terminated?
The corporation is now saying she was given a "sick day." The victim reports nobody from Darque Tan contacted her to say she was still employed. I think the local manager is an ass for reacting the way she did and not showing any empathy for the victim. The victim is probably better off not working for such a callous manager.
Best Regards.

The only thing outrageous in this story is the headline.

If your employees don't want to come to work, you should be able to fire them.

If your employees are distressed and you value them, you should probably try to work something out with them.

We don't know these people. She could have easily said "I'm never going to work the late shift again". Who's to say that they didn't really like her and weren't willing to try to work it out with her.

Like I said, the headline is the problem.

I have had a number of my stores robbed by both armed and unarmed thugs, I have had employees shot and some pistol whipped. I can say everyone reacts differently. An employee I had that was shot (in the butt on a ricochet) came back to work the next day while another that was handed a note and no weapon was displayed took almost a week before they could come back. I think the right thing to do for any company would be allow the employee to take at least a day to figure out what they want to do, offer some counseling and then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom