bored and cant get to the range, playing with target software with last garand trip.

mac1911

NES Member
Ok so I like to try and test every garand I own as they did in the overhaul process. Not every rifle was tested after US overhaul they where batch tested.

The basic standard was to hold a 5 shot group under 1.77" while keeping the 5 shot group in a 3.44"w X 5.11"t rectangle with a 1.125" half bull roughly centered in the rectangle. You hold on the "flat" of the bull @ 6 O'clock. target is placed at 27.7 yards. Sights are set: Front sight centered rear windage centered , Elevation 8 clicks up from bottom. They allow front sight drift and +/-2 clicks elevation to get group within rectangle.
This is not a zeroing target just a accuracy and targeting target.... this rifle passed with out issue even with 8 shots. The directions say to shoot 3 warm up shots before the 5 consecutive shots....seems the first shot flyer was well known????

TgtGfx.jpg so by the software this is a sub 4moa rifle with HXP surplus ammo....

so far all my garands have passed this test but only after a really good going through, tighten up the front sight/gas cyl splines and making sure wood fit is really good.... I needed to put a .010 shims on the trigger assembly to tighten this stock up enough to get decent results. I was able to post 4 more 1" groups at 27.7 yards vwith this rifle that day.
Brought out to 100 yards and was able to keep all 10 shots in the black......thats good enough for me

Last edited:
Well, you're having more fun than I am - finishing my lesson plans for next week. One of these days we should hook up and we can dial in my Garand.

T

Well, you're having more fun than I am - finishing my lesson plans for next week. One of these days we should hook up and we can dial in my Garand.

T
Would love to but my range time is always last minute.....I mean really last minute and generally short trip. I will how ever get in touch when I'm heading out the door!
I have all intentions of getting to Pembrokes 1st garand clinic/match in april . I hope to have my Mac--M1 special finished by then. Got email that I may see my stock by mid March?
I zero all my garands @ 25 yards with ammo I intend to use.
Surplus vs reloads.
I move front sight to zero windage. I set my elevation to impact a little over 1/2" low vs point of aim. This gets me darn close @ 100 yards
With only minor correction that you would need anyway depending on conditions. I don't get to hung up on windage or elevation just get it close. It will change from lot to lot anyway. If your shooting mixed ammo it can drive you a little nutty with trying to set the sights.
Once you get dialed in @ 100 and you want to adjust your drum to the hash marks. I come up 2 clicks. Count your total clicks down to bottom. Break the screw free. Then without loosening screw to much return the sights up X clicks. Now with out allowing elevation drum to move loosen the sight screw until you can freely rotate elevation drum to 200 hash mark. Tighten screw snug enough so drum won't move. Raise sight all the way up and tighten the screw. The screw driver tip on the M10 or combo tool fits that,screw nice.

If done correctly bottom out the rear sight and come up your # of clicks from your 100yd zero plus 2 and your 2 hash mark should line up with hash on sight housing.
I don't really bother with all that. A hang luggage tags with sight settings on sling swivel or in the butt stock cavity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom