Border Issue

Ok, so this baffled me, and the friend it happened to. He pulls up to the Canadian border to enter their land.

The CANADIAN border agent asks him if he had any of his handguns in his possession at the moment.

Ok, WTF? How is THAT information getting passed to them????

He has a concealed carry permit in NY, and was crossing the border at a NY crossing. Thoughts anyone?

Maybe just poor wording. I would not think that they would have that info unless he used a carry permit for ID.

I believe that Canadian Customs always asks about firearms when Americans enter their country. If you want to confuse them, just try answering "yes" sometime and then producing the proper paperwork to bring them in - I think they have more experience dealing with illegal handguns than legal ones.

Thats a standard question and just one of the many ways they ask it. I've been asked evertime I cross in a big truck ( which was quite a few )

Yes, they asked about HIS handguns. Not firearms, HANDGUNS,

He said he about fell out of his truck, because the message was quite clear.

Scary stuff. How would they get that info, anyway?

Ok, so this baffled me, and the friend it happened to. He pulls up to the Canadian border to enter their land.

The CANADIAN border agent asks him if he had any of his handguns in his possession at the moment.

Ok, WTF? How is THAT information getting passed to them????

He has a concealed carry permit in NY, and was crossing the border at a NY crossing. Thoughts anyone?
How do you know that they actually knew he owned guns? My guess is they didn't have any special information about him, but that they ask that question of a lot of people, based on profiling (drives a pickup truck, etc.).

Yes, they asked about HIS handguns. Not firearms, HANDGUNS,

He said he about fell out of his truck, because the message was quite clear.

Scary stuff. How would they get that info, anyway?
What makes you think they knew anything? They just ask that question of many people. It's no skin off their back if the driver says "huh? I don't own any guns."

They're just bluffing. No need for a tinfoil hat.

I found it odd that I wasn't asked about guns, drugs, or booze by the unarmed young lady working the customs booth on the way into Canada.

Coming back was a little more like I had imagined it with questions and such. Kinda comforting, actually. And they let me slide on a little extra duty free booze that I had planned on paying tax on. Good times.

Handguns are illegal in Canada but long guns are not. This time of year there are lots of hunters crossing the border to hunt for deer and carabou. Being that long guns are so common this time of year maybe they are just narrowing their search criteria down to handguns to be more efficient as the hunters know they have to declare and present forms to bring their hunting weapons into canada. I also highly doubt they have information on who is liscened and who is not. Just a speed bump in translation or grammar on their part.

I agree they are just messing with your head, that it's a trick question.

But what if you had a handgun with you that wasn't yours, perhaps one you borrowed? That would make "No" a truthful answer wouldn't it?

Somehow I think they wouldn't be very amused.

It's been my past experience that when crossing into Canada, if they run your ID, then they will know EVERYTHING about you that our Fed., state & local .gov's do. Up to amd including the last time that you took a poo.[thinking]

Your buddy's agent was just reading from his script, no need for the tinfoil. As long as he was within the laws of the countries he had nothing to worry about.

Picture 15 guys in a couple conversion vans pulling up to the border with a whole lotta firepower in the back at 3am...thought the guard was gonna freak we were there awhile. but in typical canadian dedpan fashion he handed us back our forms and id's he walked away wishing us a "good trip'eh".

we got to camp that evening and had another thanksgiving dinner that could not be beat.

Keri

<'tard>.
Personally, I line the inside of my Mathews SoloCam camo baseball cap with foil so as not to draw attention to myself. Just need to be careful when uncovering the noggin'. A tip I got from Gozer the Traveller. Everybody knows that all of your background info is a mere keystroke away from any government agency, foreign or domestic (except for the French), that runs your plates....even if it was a rental.
</'tard>

Back
Top Bottom