Bonafide AK?

So, in the world of AKs, I am contemplating grabbing a CAI Romar WASR AES10B. Is this considered an AK or an AK variant? Either way I think I will grab it I just wanted to get some more info. If anyone could help shed some light on WASRs or AKs in general that would rock.

AK vs Variant

A true AK is a machinegun - everything else is just a variant [rolleyes]
Variants are good or bad - If you get a good shooting WASR out of the box /you are lucky,but -will have a good working gun forever. I have one from 1989 as a rental - and it must have 500,000 + rounds through it. They are amazing when they work - and you will figure out if it does very quickly.
On a good note - If it sucks,Century will take it back until it works!!

I believe those AES10B's are Romanian copies of the RPK (but in semi-auto, obviously). I've heard they're more accurate than the WASR-10's but a lot heavier due to the longer heavier barrel.

I believe those AES10B's are Romanian copies of the RPK (but in semi-auto, obviously). I've heard they're more accurate than the WASR-10's but a lot heavier due to the longer heavier barrel.

Yeah it has a longer barrel. Thanks forel the input, I hope it is somewhat accurate!!! :)

The Romanian AKs are usually at the bottom of the desirability scale.

At least they used to be cheap...

I've got two WASR-10/GP's (converted to be MA compliant [thinking]) that have never given me any trouble. Ok, they look and feel a little junky. But they shoot straight, and what the heck good is an AK that isn't junky? [laugh]

Hands down the most fun I've had at the range yet!

I tried to catch mine on fire at the last NES car shoot. [smile]

100_0648.jpg

These guns rapid fire so easily that people have asked me if I was bump firing.

I say buy it!

At least they used to be cheap...

I've got two WASR-10/GP's (converted to be MA compliant [thinking]) that have never given me any trouble. Ok, they look and feel a little junky. But they shoot straight, and what the heck good is an AK that isn't junky? [laugh]

I have a WASR-10, I had to send it back to century for a canted front sight. It has sharp edges and a horrible finish. But, I've put a ton of rounds through it and it has never malfunctioned.

I sacrificed the wood furniture to get a better deal on a great shooter, my Saiga 7.62

The furniture can be easily swapped out of course, and there is only a slight modification necessary to get it to accept standard AK mags...

but it is probably the best built receiver for the money.

The black furniture is kind of growing on me however... and I was able to pick up modified mags at Bob's in Salisbury.

I sacrificed the wood furniture to get a better deal on a great shooter, my Saiga 7.62

The furniture can be easily swapped out of course, and there is only a slight modification necessary to get it to accept standard AK mags...

but it is probably the best built receiver for the money.

The black furniture is kind of growing on me however... and I was able to pick up modified mags at Bob's in Salisbury.
I love the evil-black furniture on my Saiga-7,62 [wink]

The Romanian AKs are usually at the bottom of the desirability scale.

You forgot Hesse/Vulcan arms. I don't think I've ever seen a more horrendously built rifle in my entire life. Everything with that stamp on it is
pure unadulterated shit, no two ways about it. I don't think they make AKs anymore, but ive seen a few of them turn up for cheap money... and "there's a reason" for
that. [laugh]

-Mike

so the general consensus is I should get it, eh? DONE AND DONE. here we go, burning money on something that is not a necessity (in the eyes of the fiancee)

You forgot Hesse/Vulcan arms. I don't think I've ever seen a more horrendously built rifle in my entire life. Everything with that stamp on it is
pure unadulterated shit, no two ways about it. I don't think they make AKs anymore, but ive seen a few of them turn up for cheap money... and "there's a reason" for
that. [laugh]

-Mike
You're not talking about the Hesse Saiga's are you?

I have a Polytech that I bought about 20 years ago and it still shoots and looks great after thousands of rounds. If you find one it'll be alittle expensive but a great rifle. Krebs builds some nice Ak's but they are also pretty expensive.

You're not talking about the Hesse Saiga's are you?

No, I've never seen one of those, or at least not one that said saiga on it. The gun I handled was an underfolder or something like that, and it was by far the worst AK I'd ever
seen in my life. It was preban and like $600, if that gives you an idea of how much of a POS it was. (This was a couple years ago at FS, but even then a preban AK was always more than a grand). Apparently Hesse used to make their own receivers.... well, those were definitely shit. [laugh] I remember when I pulled the charging handle on
that thing, I couldn't even get it to go all the way back without farting around with it a bit. That's how bad it was.

-Mike

I have a WASR-10, I had to send it back to century for a canted front sight. It has sharp edges and a horrible finish. But, I've put a ton of rounds through it and it has never malfunctioned.

That sounds about right. Mine had a canted front sight so I drove out the small pins and re-aligned it. The magwell is machined out to accept high cap mags and I believe they use a rock or possibly a piece of rebar to do this.
New in box it had a ton of metal filings in the receiver from their precison machining and the mag fits like a gun version of a hotdog in a hallway.
Aside from that, these things perform like any AK variant. They will shoot any type of ammo, laquered, zinc coated, brass, steel, anything.
You can clean it when you file your taxes and be fine. They are slightly more accurate than throwing the bullets but they are a lot of fun to shoot.
In short, its a sloppy, nasty, loose gun that you can shoot all day and put away without any issues.

No, I've never seen one of those, or at least not one that said saiga on it. The gun I handled was an underfolder or something like that, and it was by far the worst AK I'd ever
seen in my life. It was preban and like $600, if that gives you an idea of how much of a POS it was. (This was a couple years ago at FS, but even then a preban AK was always more than a grand). Apparently Hesse used to make their own receivers.... well, those were definitely shit. [laugh] I remember when I pulled the charging handle on
that thing, I couldn't even get it to go all the way back without farting around with it a bit. That's how bad it was.

-Mike
Well you can check you my Hesse Saiga-7,62 at the next shoot [grin]

When considering CA WASR/-10 (AK variant)rifle.Look for an arrow w/a TRI-ANGLE around it stamped on the reciever,that mark, is on the better quality guns.The fit & finish is rough,but mine is a reliable & accurate shooter.Overall its good value(IMO).

Last edited:
Everyone has thier own taste in variants...I love my preban chinese Norinco's and my postban Poly..but my SAR2 is my favorite rifle.I personally have never had an interest in Bulgies,Hungarians,Maadi's or Tantals....kinda like the Ford vs Chevy.

AK afficionados (which I AM NOT) state that the milled Polytech Legends are the closest you will ever get to a real Russian early milled AK-47. The one being sold in the classifieds even has the "evil" bayonet...that's worth the price of admission right there, really piss off a liberal!

That sounds about right. Mine had a canted front sight so I drove out the small pins and re-aligned it. The magwell is machined out to accept high cap mags and I believe they use a rock or possibly a piece of rebar to do this.
New in box it had a ton of metal filings in the receiver from their precison machining and the mag fits like a gun version of a hotdog in a hallway.
Aside from that, these things perform like any AK variant. They will shoot any type of ammo, laquered, zinc coated, brass, steel, anything.
You can clean it when you file your taxes and be fine. They are slightly more accurate than throwing the bullets but they are a lot of fun to shoot.
In short, its a sloppy, nasty, loose gun that you can shoot all day and put away without any issues.

ROTFL!

I have 3 Arsenals, 1 47 and 2 74s. I think that they are all the balls. The 47 is a milled receiver and it is my "if you could only have one gun" gun.

Back
Top Bottom