• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bodyguard 380 and Galloway precision

I just picked up a BodyGuard and I like it a lot. Funny coincidence that I stumbled on to the Galloway website today as well. But I don't think I'll be making any mods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only mod I would be interested in us the mag guts to add an extra round. Other than that I'm pleased with it and carry it the most.

Group buy!

Oh wait, you and I are the only ones on NES who like the BG 380..:)

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

I also carry a Bodyguard! I don't know about going as far as saying I like it but it is easily concealable goes bang every time (so far 350rounds) and I like the added safety of the long trigger pull.
I read a long time ago to pick a carry gun that you can have always at your side, otherwise its the time you don't that you'll need it.
For dress shirts and work my glock 26 is a little too bulky and so I switched to a bodyguard, now it is with me always.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also interested in the extra round mod.

I have no issues with my daily carried bodyguard. After learning where the trigger break is I can reliably pull the trigger to just before the break and squeeze the last bit for some accuracy. Has gone bang every time.

Galloway Precision has a lot of fans on the Ruger Forums for their upgrades for the LCP/LC9. Ruger had to stop selling their trigger bars/hammers b/c people were buying them to do the upgrades. Galloway finally started manufacturing their own. They typically sell out within a couple of days.

If I had a Bodyguard (have no experience with it), I would definitely give the upgrades a shot.

Aloha

I know people hate the Bodyguard./

I think this was due to a number of issues in the first few years of production. As far as I can tell, they have all been corrected. As long as you are ok with the long, heavy trigger pull and the long reset its not a bad pocket gun. I have one and like it.

Well I said I wouldn't, but I went ahead and ordered the trigger bar kit. Should get it soon.

How do you carry your BG 380? I have a pocket holster. Disappears in the back pocket of a pair of jeans. You'd think it's a wallet.

For now I have a small IWB kydex from 508 holsters. I want to get a foxx micro holster. I think I will order the mag guts kit and test its reliability. Let me know how the trigger bar install goes. I might grab the stronger firing on as well for now.

I did order the trigger for the LC9. Quality was good. Cuts were clean and polished nicely. Ended up switching bacl to stock. The angle of the trigger face just didn't work for me or my wife. If/when I get a bodyguard I'll look at the mag kit.

If it works for you.

Aloha

I did order the trigger for the LC9. Quality was good. Cuts were clean and polished nicely. Ended up switching bacl to stock. The angle of the trigger face just didn't work for me or my wife. If/when I get a bodyguard I'll look at the mag kit.

If it works for you.

Aloha

I didn't replace the trigger but did the trigger bar and springs for the LC9.Night and day difference[smile]

I didn't replace the trigger but did the trigger bar and springs for the LC9.Night and day difference[smile]

I hadn't decided on that yet. I might return the triggers for credit (second one came in the mail today) and wait for the trigger bars. They've been out of stock forever! x-(

Though I might be keeping my BIL's Shield and selling one of the LC9s. :D

Aloha

I love my bodyguard, I did want a PM9 first, but settled. I don't have the mag guts but have the recoil spring, bar and trigger--ABSOLUTELY amazing now. The guts will be ordered for my bday

Hi my name is Dvllsn, and I'm a fan of the bodyguard. I keep it's small frame perfectly hidden in my pocket everywhere I go. I'm delighted by it's built-in laser and reasonable stopping power.... (Sob sob sob)
*sniffle* it's just nice to know, that I'm no longer alone. (Crying tears of joy and release)

But seriously, I love this thing.

Boston Strong
9yde7usu.jpg

Let Me know how it goes. Was the install hard?

It was pretty simple..sat at the kids homework table with the tools pictured.
Was done in under an hour, including time searching for the slide release spring which went SPROINNNNG when I opened it up.

...Oh wait, you and I are the only ones on NES who like the BG 380..:)

My wife bought a BG380 a few months ago and rather likes it. She has small hands and real thin fingers can manage to squeeze the trigger with some effort, but a trigger kit may make it much more pleasant for her to rely on.

I have the BG380 with short trigger bar, edge trigger, increased rate hammer spring, and MagGuts. I have the Galloway firing pin as well but haven't installed it because I don't have a site pusher.

If you are getting the short trigger bar, I'd suggest getting the increased rate hammer spring at the same time. I never had light strikes until after the trigger bar install. I went from 0% to 50% light strikes and Galloway wasn't surprised. I just put the hammer spring in and will be range testing on Thu. Will report back.

Note, it's possible part of the problem is my fault, but I don't think so. The Galloway install video points out that the trigger bar shouldn't have a 90 deg angle or you may not get the reduced stroke you're looking for. I added that angle as recommended. Trigger operation is fine and and stroke seems about right.

So far, I'm not a fan of the MagGuts and really want to hear what others think. It's very hard to seat the magazine to the point where I wonder if it could cause problems down the road. Cycles rounds fine once the magazine is in.

Installation was easy with a roll pin punch set. The trigger had a small fitment issue that a tap with well placed screwdriver resolved. The tab that is referred to in the MagGuts instructions isn't blatantly obvious so watch for that.

I think this was due to a number of issues in the first few years of production. As far as I can tell, they have all been corrected. As long as you are ok with the long, heavy trigger pull and the long reset its not a bad pocket gun. I have one and like it.

AFAIK, the firing pin issue hasn't been resolved. Do not dry fire.

I shoot at Nashoba in Acton if anyone wants to try/compare. My schedule isn't the greatest but will do what I can to arrange something. Site-pusher-bribes take priority.

Thanks on the Mag Guts review I may try it still and test it. After that I may just ad the harder firing pin just in case. Here is my 508 holsters quick on and off. I may also try foxx micro holster

Hi my name is Dvllsn, and I'm a fan of the bodyguard. I keep it's small frame perfectly hidden in my pocket everywhere I go. I'm delighted by it's built-in laser and reasonable stopping power.... (Sob sob sob)
*sniffle* it's just nice to know, that I'm no longer alone. (Crying tears of joy and release)

But seriously, I love this thing.

Boston Strong
9yde7usu.jpg

I have something similar with a removable flap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-Bodygua...er-/261164620409?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

My DeSantis with removable flap. Its covered with rubber sticky material so it stays in your pocket when you remove the BG

uploadfromtaptalk1387905998915.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387906050737.jpg

I shot the BG380 with the new hammer spring today. Light strikes reduced but not eliminated. I had to pull the trigger again at least once per 7 round magazine.

I'll contact Galloway for suggestions but looking forward to hearing how others fair with the short trigger bar.

I do find it easier to shoot with the new trigger.

Sent my LC9 to Galloway Precision back in April. Nothing but great things to say about them.

With less than 100 rounds of factory loads, my Bodyguard blew up in my face............lots of blood and a chipped tooth, small punctures in my face, but no tears so all healed well. The frame split in my hand. Sent it back to S&W and they are refusing to honor the warranty. In their letter--- "the LIKELY cause was due to an over pressure round." LIKELY, means they don't really know, but they will not honor the warranty based on their guess. Really pissed, time to talk to my Attorney for medical cost and the 'fear I now have of firing any other firearm built by them

Back
Top Bottom