Bird shot for brown bear?

Birdshot first to scare it off, slugs to shoot at it. Why not all slugs? Can't fire warning shot with a slug? Stupid plan but a happy ending.

Well, I knew a guy that had HP/FMJ/HP/FMJ/HP/etc in his mag. Because he may need to shoot through a door. ???

Hell, Dave Chapelle has a whole gun routine. Birdshot. Buckshot. LOL

This event clearly proves that guns can save lives. Guns are just a tool, but its the user who determines how that tool is used. In the hands of a criminal guns kill but in the hands of an armed citizen guns can save lives, and they do every day.
Unfortunately, state and local laws also play a huge role in determining how firearms are used. I have read many stories where pre-teens, both boys and girls, have successfully used firearms to defend themselves and their siblings while their parents weren't home. Here in MA, the kid would be charged with possessing a shotgun without an FID and possession of ammunition without an FID. The parents would be charged with improper storage of the shotgun. All felonies!

Unfortunately, state and local laws also play a huge role in determining how firearms are used. I have read many stories where pre-teens, both boys and girls, have successfully used firearms to defend themselves and their siblings while their parents weren't home. Here in MA, the kid would be charged with possessing a shotgun without an FID and possession of ammunition without an FID. The parents would be charged with improper storage of the shotgun. All felonies!
And child endangerment.

Birdshot first to scare it off, slugs to shoot at it. Why not all slugs? Can't fire warning shot with a slug? Stupid plan but a happy ending.
Do you really want to shoot a bear out of season if it is only doing a bluff charge? If it is still coming after the bird shot, a second later you can give him some slugs

not sure why the adults were not carrying a .44 mag revolver, or bigger...just in case

Do you really want to shoot a bear out of season if it is only doing a bluff charge? If it is still coming after the bird shot, a second later you can give him some slugs

not sure why the adults were not carrying a .44 mag revolver, or bigger...just in case
If its attacking me, yes. I absolutely want to shoot and kill it out of season.

If its attacking me, yes. I absolutely want to shoot and kill it out of season.
depends on the situation. if it is far enough away, i would try to scare if off.
these game wardens/park rangers are itching to jack you up on such a thing. hell, in a lot of parks guns are forbidden! Guns confiscated, paying lawyers to get you off the hook.....

The only problem with that is you only find out if it's a bluff or not when it closes that last 20 feet in the blink of an eye and kills the living shit out of you in the most horrific way one can imagine.
Other than that though....

A guy who used to guide us on boar trips told us of watching his business partner being decapitated by an Alaskan grizzly before he ever had a chance to get a shot off.
He said that was bad enough , but having to pack the guy's body and head out in different packs and frames was worst.
His advise was that is the bear didn't back off right away to start shooting as far out as you could reasonably make good shots , because you may need them all.

I’m guessing maybe it’s because you can kinda sorta just fire bird shot all willy-nilly and not hurt anyone (Dick Cheney shot a dude in the face), whereas a slug is going to f*** someone’s day up if your “warning shot” hits them.

I would use Brenneke slugs for brown and grizzly bear. They are like remote-controlled hole saws! Penetration is incredibly deep and the hardened lead slugs punch a large-diameter hole. If they hit bone, like a leg or shoulder, they will smash it to pieces and drop the attacking bear instantly.

In reading Capstick or Roark it was said that if a client on Safari wounded a leopard, the PH would load birdshot and go into the bush because they won't move until you're right on them, the shot will be close - as in feet, not yards - and at a few feet, the shot hasn't spread. It's like a 1-1/4 oz. slug.

I'd still prefer slugs.

I would use Brenneke slugs for brown and grizzly bear. They are like remote-controlled hole saws! Penetration is incredibly deep and the hardened lead slugs punch a large-diameter hole. If they hit bone, like a leg or shoulder, they will smash it to pieces and drop the attacking bear instantly.

I can attest to that.
I help cut up about 12-16 deer a year.
Those Brennekes make a very unique and big hole.

Back
Top Bottom