Bird Hunting

This is my first year (pups too) hunting birds (quail and pheasant) and i am looking for a bit of info.

is there anything more needed than a hunting license to hunt quail and pheasant? like stamps?

i read that only quail can be hunted in zones 11-14, is this true? what about pheasant?

thanks in advance [grin]

One thing to mention on quail, if you flush a covey, just make sure you are very aware of where your dog is. Quail tend to stay low and I have seen some near misses where the hunter swings with a quail and pulls the trigger right by where the dog is. I dislike hunting quail because of this. Be careful and good luck.

orange hat orange shooting vest if you are in an area with a lot of pepole gun and some ammo.

also have fun it took me 2 seasons of going a few times a year to figure out where the phesants accualy live and get one try to look along farm roads and bushes near a path i was being a db and wandering straight through the middle of cornfeilds before i figured that out lol.

You can't buy a license without a wildlands stamp. It's already on the license. It's actually more of a tax than an actual stamp.

One thing to mention on quail, if you flush a covey, just make sure you are very aware of where your dog is. Quail tend to stay low and I have seen some near misses where the hunter swings with a quail and pulls the trigger right by where the dog is. I dislike hunting quail because of this. Be careful and good luck.

thanks for the advice. i wouldnt shoot too low, if i came home with holes in my dog my wife would disown me!

I started in Mass but locals knew when the guy was coming to drop off the pheasants. It wasn't much for hunting. I've hunting grouse in VT and NH. Maine seems to be the grouse Mecca but long ride.

Back
Top Bottom