Bill to Criminalize Expired Licenses and Photograph all Lawfully Owned Firearms

Y'know, Brother Len, I'm so glad that you mellowed out last year when you stopped being a moderator. I know that even though some of the idiots in our government are reading your opinion of them, they're grateful that you're a kinder, gentler, LenS. [laugh] [laugh]

I certainly wasn't easy on these sub-morons as a Mod, nor did I need to be. I was supposed to be easy on you guys (the NES community) and once I came back and started reviewing old PMs (to purge the junk) I came to realize that I was more than a bit harsh as a Mod at times . . . for which I belatedly apologize to all that read this, and I sincerely mean it.

For reasons which I won't explain right now, I have a lot more to lose right now for posting what I did than I ever did as a Mod, but if it torques me, you'll hear from me about it. [wink]

Required photos of registered guns - True?

I was in a Dick's today and was told by one of the clerks who is an avid gun guy, that in MA, when LTC's are renewed, there will be a requirement to provide a photograph of EVERY REGISTERED gun the gun owner possesses.

Can this possibly true? Is this proposed, an actual real requirement, or misinformation?

I can just imagine the state doing this to further drive gun owners out of MA and further solidify the Democrat grasp on the state's political future.

Can you imagine the burden on some gun owners? I know one guy who owns over 1,000 guns. Think he'll comply or move?

I also see this, if true, as a scheme to ferret out more 'black weapons' and other 'offensive firearms'. Can you imagine how the state would perceive your photo showing that you had converted your Ruger 10/22 to a tricked out 'tactical simulation' of a higher caliber black rifle? How will they perceive laser grips and other 'user modifications'?

I sure hope this is just BS.

I know it is not a current requirement as of Dec 08, sounds like BS.

They are supposed to be slashing bugets I can't imagine them adding the software and disk space they would need to process all the photos.

Wasn't this idea "floated" as a future initiative somewhere in the Commonwealth? It seems to me that I heard this rumor recently, IIRC some legislator wanted to make it a law or something.

It's a piece of proposed legislation that GOAL got their hands on. It's is by no means law, nor, as far as I know, has it even yet been introduced as a bill. BTW, I believe the copy of the text GOAL has is a little messed up. I'm pretty sure the proposal is to have pictures of the serial numbers of each gun, not the whole gun.

http://goal.org/templates/Lantiguabill.htm

This is not a rumor, but not yet law. This is tied to a bill doing away with the "grace period" of an about-to-expire LTC. Also on the same bill is a proposition to criminalise the possession of firearms without a valid LTC/FID .

Its on GOAL's page.

Get active and make this NOT happen!

Wasn't this idea "floated" as a future initiative somewhere in the Commonwealth? It seems to me that I heard this rumor recently, IIRC some legislator wanted to make it a law or something.

It was contained in a bill that a bunch of people were wetting their pants over a week or so ago.

I called Lantigua's office and talked to his aid. This is indeed what the bill is asking for. The aid didn't know all the details but this is a, poor, reaction to something that happened in Lawrence where a lawfully owned gun was lost or stolen and not reported. So, Lantigua's illogical reaction is to require everyone to send in pictures of the serial numbers.

As far as I can tell, they hadn't thought through the amount of beaurocrasy it would take to deal with all these pictures. I said that it's an onerous burden on lawful gun owners in an already onerous state. Further, I told him it would cost a lot of tax money to administer whatever system would keep track of these pictures. Then, I told him a more logical solution would be a fine for not reporting a lost or stolen gun though even more logical would be actually punishing those who stole the gun.

Also, with regards to the first part of the proposal, I told him that it took me 2.5 months to get my LTC when it should take 40 days. So, if this happened during my renewal (the same process), he's be turning me into a felon when I hadn't actually made any illegal action. The aid said (paraphrasing) "well I don't think it's calling for making it a felony but there may be jail time associated". I told him that's marginally less bad.

Finally, he stated they didn't want to put burdens on lawful gun owners or infringe on their rights. I retorted that the first part of the legislation threatens to jail someone for simply possessing a gun that he or she is legally allowed to own but for a one day lapse in licensing.

In any event, he stated that they've gotten a number of calls and emails about this. I did my best to have civil discourse with him and hopefully something sunk in. We'll see if the rep calls back.

MODS,
Thanks for moving my previous post from the new thread to this thread where it obviously belongs.

Thanks also to all those who replied who put me in the right direction.

PaulD,

Thanks for the effort and the info.

Let me see if I have this correct...
The new law proposes a criminal penalty for owning guns with an expired LTC or FID.
Since, as you point out, the renewal process itself takes longer than the period defined in law, so MANY people may find themselves in this status.
THEN, of course, once you are tagged with the criminal violation, you are no longer able to renew or get an LTC or FID, because you're a criminal.
Therefore, all of your guns are forfeited?

You can't make this stuff up!

Last edited:
It's a piece of proposed legislation that GOAL got their hands on. It's is by no means law, nor, as far as I know, has it even yet been introduced as a bill. BTW, I believe the copy of the text GOAL has is a little messed up. I'm pretty sure the proposal is to have pictures of the serial numbers of each gun, not the whole gun.

http://goal.org/templates/Lantiguabill.htm

jdubois,

Even given that the requirement is for photos of the serial numbers (which makes ZERO sense), the vast majority of gun owners won't likely have the equipment or wherewithal to photo just serial numbers. This would require use of a digital camera's macro function to avoid photographing the whole gun, while allowing the serial number to be legible.

They would end up with lots of photos of entire guns with serial numbers visible.

There is STILL the onus of the photo task itself for owners of many guns and the whole issue only makes sense if they believe gun owners are lieing about their serial numbers on the paperwork or too incompetent to enter them correctly.

This is a REALLY BAD idea on so many levels and I will do everything that I can do to make sure it progresses no farther.

. . . The third section of the bill would require all lawful gun owners to supply the licensing authority with photographs of all the rifles, shotguns and handguns they own. . . .

Lets hope Interceptor doesn't read this.

Wait a minute. What am I saying? Doh!

On a more serious note, probably half of my guns don't HAVE serial numbers to photograph.

I really feel for you guys in Mass. I was born and raised in North Attleboro but moved to RI when I was a teen. It's hard to believe that's the cradle of independence. Isn't that why they are the only state left to celebrate Patriots day? They have forgotten that they were the beginning of the war for Independence and freedom. What a shame.

If Sam and John Adams, and all the original Patriots could see it now, they would not believe this is what they fought and died for. When will we say "enough". I think the time is coming soon.

This would never happen. Seriously what is the point of pictures. That the stupidiest thing i ever heard. If they want pictures of the firearms why in the hell are we registering them? If someone with authority really wanted to know what I have they just have to pull me up in the system and it will tell them.

If that person is stupid enough not to know what the gun looks like by the make/mode/serial etc already privided they shouldn't have access to a computer.

If they want to know what my guns look like tell them to google it. [laugh]

On a side note though, all gun owners should have pictures of their guns showing serial numbers stored securely in case of theft. Even though we all do the legal thing and lock up our guns properly they can still get stolen. It would also help prove the condition of the gun if it is being reimbursed through insurance.

The point of the pictures is to annoy us and those that would apply for a permit down the road. Nothing more, nothing less. It's harrassment.

See you're annoyed right?[grin] Don't forget too that you're now repsonsible to know when your permit expires. The nanny state wants you to be responsible now that it costs too much. We should learn from this and make sure everything costs them too much.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom