• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big win for carry licensing

Big win for carry licensing — misdemeanor pot conviction no basis to deny

Pro-Gun New Hampshire General Counsel, attorney Evan Nappen, has won a significant court case involving concealed carry licensing in New Hampshire. His client was denied a NH non-resident carry license solely due to a 34 year old misdemeanor marijuana conviction received when he was 18 years old. The State was stubbornly enforcing their administrative rule (which, by the way, has no basis in law) that makes any misdemeanor conviction for drugs an automatic denial.

In the article published a week ago on this website, attorney Nappen announced a public hearing on changing the NH Department of Safety’s rules for denial of a non-resident carry license, and made the crucial point that NH authorities often mistakenly rely on the overly restrictive rules used by the DOS/State Police for non-residents to deny resident carry licenses. Further, his article went on to argue that the DOS Administrative Rules went beyond the law, and should be changed to bring fairness to both NH residents and non-residents. (See (http://pgnh.org/public_hearing_on_nh_carry_license_rules_that_threaten_gun_rights_please_be_there .)

Now, attorney Nappen has won an important court case that stands for two legal issues regarding concealed carry licensing in New Hampshire. Quoting the judge’s decision: first, that “there does not appear to be any articulable, legitimate reason for the disparate treatment of residents and non-residents”; second, that “the provision precluding the issuance of a pistol permit [sic*] for an out of state resident based upon a misdemeanor drug conviction is unreasonable on its face.”

Put these two elements together, and you have a judicial precedent (though not binding on other courts) that can be used in other, future appeals of NH licensing denials, for both residents and non-residents, that a misdemeanor drug conviction should no longer be used as an automatic basis for denying concealed carry licenses. Given how often NH police and courts deny licenses because of such misdemeanor convictions, this precedent will prove to be instructive.

We believe that this is a step toward defining the “suitable person” language in the state’s carry licensing law to mean that anyone who isn’t prohibited by law from possessing a gun shouldn’t be prohibited from concealed carry.

The case against the NH State Police was decided on October 22, 2012, in Concord District Court by the Honorable Judge Boyle. This is the third case on NH non-resident license denial taken by Attorney Nappen — and not only has he won all three of these cases, he is the one who defacto established that non-resident denials could be appealed in court (and Concord District Court in particular); previously, denials could be appealed only in administrative hearings within the Department of Safety — where the process is unfairly slanted against the gun owner.

This is great news!! If only I had the 1500 dollars Mr. Nappen charges for denials, I may be able to finally defend my family's life outside of my home.
So is NES gonna start a fund to help thehoyt with the Attorney's fee's?

I got $50 I can give now, with possibly more if I get a raise in the new year (I took a 20% pay cut with my new job and am currently scraping by for now).

“there does not appear to be any articulable, legitimate reason for the disparate treatment of residents and non-residents”
But we're still happy to charge non-residents an order of magnitude more for the concealed carry license. OTOH, the plastic card issued for NR is much nicer than the onionskin receipt we get :)

But we're still happy to charge non-residents an order of magnitude more for the concealed carry license.
Yeah, there are sooo many things to love about New Hampshire. Getting money from the folks down in MA (for booze, tools, gun permits) is one of them :)

OTOH, the plastic card issued for NR is much nicer than the onionskin receipt we get :)
Ah, but you see: The nice plastic card is done in Concord. The cheapo paper can be done by any city or town, on their own, without any special equipment. Well, except perhaps a pen. Most town offices have one of those, even the little town I live in.

This is great news!! If only I had the 1500 dollars Mr. Nappen charges for denials, I may be able to finally defend my family's life outside of my home.

It'd be worth trying to save up for it. You can open carry in NH without a permit though.

I am now in this same boat. Received my denial for non resident pistol permit in NH. I had a misdemeanor pot charge from 10+ years ago that I pleaded no contest. No other incidents on my record. NH said I am unfit to get a license and I had the option to appeal. Keep in mind I sent them a copy of my "no restrictions" Ma license. Not sure if I should appeal or just open carry in NH everywhere I go....

But we're still happy to charge non-residents an order of magnitude more for the concealed carry license. OTOH, the plastic card issued for NR is much nicer than the onionskin receipt we get :)

In Concord by the SP - the City of Concord issues tissue paper. I did the "Photocopy, shrink and laminate" thing with mine and leave the original in the safe with the passport, BC, etc.

I am now in this same boat. Received my denial for non resident pistol permit in NH. I had a misdemeanor pot charge from 10+ years ago that I pleaded no contest. No other incidents on my record. NH said I am unfit to get a license and I had the option to appeal. Keep in mind I sent them a copy of my "no restrictions" Ma license. Not sure if I should appeal or just open carry in NH everywhere I go....

You have a couple options (kind of).

First where was the pot charge? Mass or NH? Or some other state? If NH, you can annul the record and make it as if you never we convicted. A member here was in your exact same boat (minus the Mass LTC because he never got one in mass). He annulled, then reapplied and got his NH P&R.

If your conviction was in Mass or another commie state that does not allow for annulment of a record, then you have no choice but to appeal.

There are several NH attorneys that appeal License cases. They are:

Penny Dean
Evan Nappen
Seth Hipple

Penny is wicked expensive (thousands).
Evan is less expensive and experienced but pushed forth a recent case in the most idiotic of ways possible (which resulted in a loss).
Seth is younger but has won license cases and has done some pro-bono. I get the impression he does not charge Penny Dean like rates.

I would avoid Penny on cost alone, especially because this is a licensing case and not a self defense one. Evan as you can see might be losing his game. At this point, unless I see compelling evidence otherwise, I'd recommend talking to Seth Hipple for a license case.

I wonder if there might be an advantage in getting a few folks together to be represented as a group? I don't really know how these things work.

I'm also really interested in fighting for the RKBA for medical cannabis patients in MA, though I'm not sure where the state stands officially on that.

You have a couple options (kind of).

First where was the pot charge? Mass or NH? Or some other state? If NH, you can annul the record and make it as if you never we convicted. A member here was in your exact same boat (minus the Mass LTC because he never got one in mass). He annulled, then reapplied and got his NH P&R.

If your conviction was in Mass or another commie state that does not allow for annulment of a record, then you have no choice but to appeal.

There are several NH attorneys that appeal License cases. They are:

Penny Dean
Evan Nappen
Seth Hipple

Penny is wicked expensive (thousands).
Evan is less expensive and experienced but pushed forth a recent case in the most idiotic of ways possible (which resulted in a loss).
Seth is younger but has won license cases and has done some pro-bono. I get the impression he does not charge Penny Dean like rates.

I would avoid Penny on cost alone, especially because this is a licensing case and not a self defense one. Evan as you can see might be losing his game. At this point, unless I see compelling evidence otherwise, I'd recommend talking to Seth Hipple for a license case.

It was in NH and I was under the impression it would be washed away after 6 years. I guess I have to try to have it annulled. It's funny how people say Ma is the commie state, but clearly not in this case. Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do. Not sure if hiring a lawyer is the way to go. Especially when all the license will allow me to do is conceal carry.

I'm also really interested in fighting for the RKBA for medical cannabis patients in MA, though I'm not sure where the state stands officially on that.
This is tricky, since:

1. The state courts are marsupial in nature, and the fix is in when it comes to gun cases. Even if you win (possible, but unlikely), you would still be lying on a 4473 when declaring you are not a user of illegal drugs if you have a MM card and currently use MM products.

2. The federal courts are a it more neutral, however, federal law is clear - someone who is a "user" of an illegal drug is a prohibited person under 18 USC 922(g). A federal suit would need to convince the court to declare this aspect of USC unconstitutional; it would not be a civil rights case against the state of MA.

There is a way to successfully remove a single MJ possession conviction from your Mass record. See MGL Ch 94C § 34

blah, blah, blah upon the expiration of such period the court may dismiss the proceedings against him, and may order sealed all official records relating to his arrest, indictment, conviction, probation, continuance or discharge pursuant to this section; provided, however, that departmental records which are not public records, maintained by police and other law enforcement agencies, shall not be sealed; and provided further, that such a record shall be maintained in a separate file by the department of probation solely for the purpose of use by the courts in determining whether or not in subsequent proceedings such person qualifies under this section.

There is a way to successfully remove a single MJ possession conviction from your Mass record. See MGL Ch 94C § 34
The interesting part:

Any conviction, the record of which has been sealed under this section, shall not be deemed a conviction for purposes of any disqualification or for any other purpose. No person as to whom such sealing has been ordered shall be held thereafter under any provision of any law to be guilty of perjury or otherwise giving a false statement by reason of his failure to recite or acknowledge such arrest, indictment, conviction, dismissal, continuance, sealing, or any other related court proceeding, in response to any inquiry made of him for any purpose.

So, one does not even have to mention this on question 10 (but, if you go that route, be prepared to hire an attorney as it is unlikely the issuing authority will be cognizant as to the legal fiction allowed under 94C/34).

I have spoken to a very reputable attorney who failed to get a 94C sealing for his client on a marijuana conviction as the court found it not "in the government's interest" (note the use of the word may, rather than shall, in the statute). My understanding is the court knew the person was trying to get his firearms rights back and did not want to see that happen.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

The conviction was in NH. Seems like I would have to spend a lot of time and money to get the right to conceal carry in an open carry state. Anyone with a drivers license can buy a gun in NH. I find it insulting they would call me unfit. I don't even do drugs. I bet the licensing officer drinks alcohol though. Hmmmm what kills more people, alcohol or marijuana??

So, one does not even have to mention this on question 10

In theory, no. I have always advised my clients to disclose it.

It depends on if the chief is looking for an excuse to deny or not. Some would be more than happy to issue the license, but for a conviction of a controlled substance.

I consider question 10 to be more of a truth test (or memory test), since the PD has better access to the court records than the applicant.

The conviction was in NH. Seems like I would have to spend a lot of time and money to get the right to conceal carry in an open carry state. Anyone with a drivers license can buy a gun in NH. I find it insulting they would call me unfit. I don't even do drugs. I bet the licensing officer drinks alcohol though. Hmmmm what kills more people, alcohol or marijuana??

Are you going to appeal? If so I will do what I can to help defray any costs (like setup a gofundme or something along those lines). Last I checked Nappen charged $1,500 for license cases. Not sure what Seth Hipple charges. Nappen does have experience fighting this for non-residents. I am not too trusting of him at the moment though due to a recent case he royally screwed the pooch on. If you want I can put you in contact with someone at NHFC or one of the other NH firearms organizations.

Are you going to appeal? If so I will do what I can to help defray any costs (like setup a gofundme or something along those lines). Last I checked Nappen charged $1,500 for license cases. Not sure what Seth Hipple charges. Nappen does have experience fighting this for non-residents. I am not too trusting of him at the moment though due to a recent case he royally screwed the pooch on. If you want I can put you in contact with someone at NHFC or one of the other NH firearms organizations.

I sent my letter out recently to appeal. I will keep you updated.

Received my refund check, notice from the states lawyer, and the court date. I received them all TODAY!! The court day is set for this Thursday!! It says I can only file for a continuance with 10 days notice. I am only given 3 1/2 days notice of the actual date. Like how that works? Not sure what to do. I would have to take the whole day off work short notice and I have no lawyer or anything. This should go well.

File for continuance anyway.

You will have to show up for court and indicate what happened.

If at all possible refuse to move forward based on lack of notice / preparation.

You've not had adequate time to prepare and you have a right to be prepared. You might need to state how long you think you will need to prepare, so have an estimate.

Sorry. This sucks.

Received my refund check, notice from the states lawyer, and the court date. I received them all TODAY!! The court day is set for this Thursday!! It says I can only file for a continuance with 10 days notice. I am only given 3 1/2 days notice of the actual date. Like how that works? Not sure what to do. I would have to take the whole day off work short notice and I have no lawyer or anything. This should go well.

That blows. And the state attorney is being a dick.

Give any of these attorneys a call and do so ASAP.

Evan Nappen: http://www.efnappen.com/
CALL TOLL FREE

(888) 4-GUN-LAW

E.F. Nappen Attorney at Law, PC
280 Pleasant Street, 1st Floor,
Concord, NH 03301

Office: (603) 223-0001
Fax: (603) 223-0007

[email protected]

Seth Hipple: http://nhlegalservices.com/contact/

Mon-Fri: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Note: if you have an emergency situation requiring immediate legal assistance such as an arrest, police detention, or use of self-defense, call us immediately. After business hours, call our main line (877-645-2909) and press the pound key.
Contact Information
Address
22 Bridge Street
Second Floor, Suite 3
Concord, NH 03301

General Office Email
[email protected]

Phone
603-856-0202
Toll Free
877-645-2909

Fax
603-546-7456

Stephen T. Martin, Esq.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: Extension 1

Seth J. Hipple, Esq.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: Extension 2

I don't have the $1500 or more to pay for an attorney.

It doesn't cost $1500 to talk to an attorney about a legal issue over the phone. It only costs money when you decide to use them. Seth might be cheaper. Tell him Harrison sent you if you call him. I've personally talked to Seth (informally).

And if need be I will start a thread here to try and raise money for this. Same goes for the FB group I am a part of that has tons of NH 2A activists.

It doesn't cost $1500 to talk to an attorney about a legal issue over the phone. It only costs money when you decide to use them. Seth might be cheaper. Tell him Harrison sent you if you call him. I've personally talked to Seth (informally).

And if need be I will start a thread here to try and raise money for this. Same goes for the FB group I am a part of that has tons of NH 2A activists.

This. Call the attorney. I'm sure we can rummage up some money here to help out. I'll throw in.

This. Call the attorney. I'm sure we can rummage up some money here to help out. I'll throw in.

Also, a denial by NH will affect him come renewal of his LTC in Mass. In fact a denial in NH may cause Mass to deny his renewal. Effectively denying him his 2A rights.

IMHO, it is our duty to help him out. All because the NH DoS is being a bunch of dicks and not following the decision linked in the very first post of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom