• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big brother to Ruger 10/22, need help in larger caliber rifle choice

Due to MA restrictions and a shoulder injury, I am looking for a larger caliber rifle than a .22 that meets the following: (Ruger 10/22 is great, so looking for something that might be its 'big brother'.)

1. Has a mag that holds at least 5
2. Light weight (as possible), but accurate
3. Larger than .22, but common and inexpensive
4. Can take a red dot
5. Easy to get

M1 is out due to weight. Bolt actions no good as only single shot. No idea if there are rifles in 5.56 other than ARs that meet MA restrictions, but that would work as well. Hopefully those with more knowledge of rifles than me, which is probably everyone, can suggest something. Thanks.

Not a rifle caliber, but maybe a pistol caliber carbine in 9MM?

Ruger PCC
Hi Point 995TS
Beretta CX4

Rifle caliber:. Not sure about weight.
Ruger Mini 14 5.56

Ruger Mini 30 7.62x39

Due to MA restrictions and a shoulder injury, I am looking for a larger caliber rifle than a .22 that meets the following: (Ruger 10/22 is great, so looking for something that might be its 'big brother'.)

4. Can take a red dot
5. Easy to get

M1 is out due to weight. Bolt actions no good as only single shot. No idea if there are rifles in 5.56 other than ARs that meet MA restrictions, but that would work as well. Hopefully those with more knowledge of rifles than me, which is probably everyone, can suggest something. Thanks.
Mini 14 Ranch rifle. My wife has the stainless version. 5 or 10 round mags MA legal. .223 caliber.

Tavor or Kel-tec bullpups in 5.56 might fit what you need. Not exactly 10/22or mini14 but if you’re looking for a semi w 16” barrel that shoots 5.56 it may work for you.

Last edited:
As others have said, the Mini 14 in .223 is the obvious best choice. Even with the low recoil of .223, slap a gel recoil pad and enjoy hours of comfortable centerfire shooting.

The old Ruger .44 Carbine is quite collectible these days, cost around $1K on GB.

Ruger PCC, it's kind of like a 10/22 on steroids.
Ambi controls, (limited by gen of mag you have for Glocks).
Glock magwell comes with the PCC.
Available in a couple different chassis.
9mm or .40 - Yes I KNOW they're not rifle calibers, but OP said " 3. Larger than .22, but common and inexpensive "

4. Can take a red dot
5. Easy to get

Any specific cal your thinking and what is your expectations for accuracy.
Most ammo is tough to get at the moment.
That said
the 9mm carbines are fun , light , and accuracy is what you expect from a pistol cal carbine.

I forget the model number. But Ruger had a .44magnum that was basically a 10/22 on steroids. Think it had a 5 round detachable mag.

Saw one for sake at one of the last gun shows. Always kinda wanted one.

Small but powerful. Henry 357 lever action.
I was thinking a lever action in a pistol caliber as well..

or if you are a 10/22 fan., what about a bigger caliber 10/22 like a 22 magnum?

or a ps90 is a blast. Depending on your budget

Last edited:
I forget the model number. But Ruger had a .44magnum that was basically a 10/22 on steroids. Think it had a 5 round detachable mag.

Saw one for sake at one of the last gun shows. Always kinda wanted one.
post 5 sadly out of production

OP you don't want the Marlin Camp Carbine...... it's on my short list and they are getting hard to come by [wink]

As others have said, the Mini 14 in .223 is the obvious best choice. Even with the low recoil of .223, slap a gel recoil pad and enjoy hours of comfortable centerfire shooting.

The old Ruger .44 Carbine is quite collectible these days, cost around $1K on GB.

Haha gel recoil pad on a .223 ? What? Anyone weighing over like 120 lbs can run a .223 rifle all day with a plastic stock.

The obvious centerfire thing to own if you like Ruger, live in MA, etc etc is a Ruger PC Carbine.

If you are open to iron sights a min 14 (or 30 for that matter) are great simple semi auto iron sight rifles. They both can take an optic but personally I see those as more eloquent with sights.

4. Can take a red dot
5. Easy to get

remington 7615 not exactly on the best seller list in the current market

I forgot about these, they went out of business before they got out in any numbers
Kingston Armory M1 garand 22lr

M1 Carbine is the answer.
wm_8268611.jpg

With a rail like the following for mounting a red dot (which isn’t a permanent mod and can be reverted)

The M1 Carbine is a real hoot to shoot. Virtually no recoil, but there is some muzzle flip. Super light weight. Plenty of preban 15rnd mags.

Ammo can be hard to come by when stopping by a local gun store, but was easily purchased from target sports before the ammo drought this year. Russian steel cased ammo is like 7 MOA and I avoid it like the plague, but I’ve been pleased with Aguila FMJ.
There are even JHP options now or things like Lehigh’s Cavitator that will turn it into a legitimate deer rifle or self defense rifle (if your old mags are reliable, and mine are with new springs). The Lehigh cartridge (or Underwood loading) look like gimmicks, but they work, and they’re also the most accurate M1 Carbine cartridges I’ve shot.

And in my experience the m1 carbine feels like it has less recoil than the 9mm carbines like Ruger and Hi Point. Doesn't seem possible, given how much more
energy the .30 carbine cartridge has yet that is what it feels like to me.

M1 Carbine is the answer.
wm_8268611.jpg

With a rail like the following for mounting a red dot (which isn’t a permanent mod and can be reverted)

The M1 Carbine is a real hoot to shoot. Virtually no recoil, but there is some muzzle flip. Super light weight. Plenty of preban 15rnd mags.

Ammo can be hard to come by when stopping by a local gun store, but was easily purchased from target sports before the ammo drought this year. Russian steel cased ammo is like 7 MOA and I avoid it like the plague, but I’ve been pleased with Aguila FMJ.
There are even JHP options now or things like Lehigh’s Cavitator that will turn it into a legitimate deer rifle or self defense rifle (if your old mags are reliable, and mine are with new springs). The Lehigh cartridge (or Underwood loading) look like gimmicks, but they work, and they’re also the most accurate M1 Carbine cartridges I’ve shot.

And in my experience the m1 carbine feels like it has less recoil than the 9mm carbines like Ruger and Hi Point. Doesn't seem possible, given how much more
energy the .30 carbine cartridge has yet that is what it feels like to me.

Your feeling is accurate. M1 Carbine is operated by a short stroke piston. Most 9mm carbines (except for delayed blowbacks like the MP5, B&T APC9, and CMMG Banshee), use simple blowback mechanisms and rely on really heavy bolts to slow movement and allow for the chamber pressure to lower before opening up. These heavy bolts result in worse recoil and are why most 9mm ARs actually feel like they have a little more recoil than 5.56 ARs.

The OP mentioned a shoulder injury. Do you often have bad luck reading?

My assumption was OP was saying the rifle needs to be light, a lot of folks with those permanent tears and basically makes one weak in a certain direction, particularly lifting up with ones arm extended.

My assumption was OP was saying the rifle needs to be light, a lot of folks with those permanent tears and basically makes one weak in a certain direction, particularly lifting up with ones arm extended.
This is exactly the issue. Not so much the issue of recoil as much as holding the rifle. I have between 30 and 70% of the strength of what it used to be holding something perpendicular to my body, and they higher you lift, the less strength I have. Putting a gallon of milk on the bottom shelf of the refrig, no issue. Trying to put in on the top shelf, can't be easily done with my left arm.

ARs are about 6.5 lbs, I appreciate the recs on the Ruger Mini in 5.56, it seems to be the lightest. A 9mm carbine I don't think has the same range/accuracy as the Mini? Also saw the Rem pump 7600, but can't find the wt spec

Back
Top Bottom