• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big brother to Ruger 10/22, need help in larger caliber rifle choice

M1 Carbines are really fun!
As to the 10/22 Ruger even has a model that looks like the M1 Carbine: Ruger® 10/22® Carbine Autoloading Rifle Model 21138

Dint OP want a “Big Brother” to the 10/22, meaning a larger (e.g., combat effective?) caliber — something in a pistol caliber cartridge or lightweight rifle caliber that may be easier to manage with a shoulder impairment?

two suggestions for OP and the brain-trust:

Keltec SU-16. Polymer frame (lightweight), integrated bipod, low-recoil .223/5.56 rifle cartridge.

Bullpup rifle configuration (pick your platform). Most of the weight is in the back, compact form factor makes it easy to negotiate. Uses standard capacity rifle mags, low-recoil .223/5.56 caliber

The Ruger PC series (in 9mm or .40) would be a natural progression up from the 10/22, if a pistol caliber is acceptable to you. The handling is very 10/22 like and the current ones include iron sights and have an optics mount. There is also Ruger and Glock magazine capability with the mag well adapters.

An M1 carbine or Mini-14 would also have similar ergonomics to the 10/22, if you were trying carry over shooting mechanics.

This is exactly the issue. Not so much the issue of recoil as much as holding the rifle. I have between 30 and 70% of the strength of what it used to be holding something perpendicular to my body, and they higher you lift, the less strength I have. Putting a gallon of milk on the bottom shelf of the refrig, no issue. Trying to put in on the top shelf, can't be easily done with my left arm.

ARs are about 6.5 lbs, I appreciate the recs on the Ruger Mini in 5.56, it seems to be the lightest. A 9mm carbine I don't think has the same range/accuracy as the Mini? Also saw the Rem pump 7600, but can't find the wt spec

Accuracy is subjective. The trouble with either a PCC or Mini is they are only accurate in a practical sense. Good for shooting cans, hunting, etc, if you want to shoot off your shoulder 95% of shooters couldn't tell the difference but off a rest you aren't going to get 1 MOA out of those sort of guns.

Mini's are really handy, fun to shoot, totally worth owning, kinda the obvious thing for a MA resident to go buy if they don't want to play the games required to own an AR.

I would say, if you just want a center fire rifle for general use and are not dead set on having an optic, get a Mini. If you want that red dot experience look at a PCC. If you want to drive tacks with a scope pickup something bolt action. That's the simple thing IMO. Outside of MA an accurate AR could do all that, its just less attainable in your state (still an option but not as straight forward as buying a new one off the shelf).

A 9mm carbine is just as heavy as a .223 AR.

Most blowback 9mm carbines use a very heavy bolt and buffer. So they weigh just as much or more than the same gun in .223.

An AR can be had for under 6 lbs. It doesn't get much lighter than that.

The only real question then is if you want the low cost of a pistol caliber round or the greater flexibility and range of a rifle caliber round.

This is a fully functional AR I built for not a lot of money for backpacking that weighs in at 5.2 lbs with an Aimpoint Micro T1 on it. (4.95 lbs with Magpul MBUS sights)
It is very light in the barrel where it matters most to you and because of the (small and light) single chamber brake, it barely recoils.

1599674554953.jpeg

Last edited:
I have between 30 and 70% of the strength of what it used to be holding something perpendicular to my body, and they higher you lift, the less strength I have. Putting a gallon of milk on the bottom shelf of the refrig, no issue. Trying to put in on the top shelf, can't be easily done with my left arm.
How might using a sling to pull the stock into your right shoulder
to stabilize the hold affect your situation?
Aggravating or helpful?

This is exactly the issue. Not so much the issue of recoil as much as holding the rifle. I have between 30 and 70% of the strength of what it used to be holding something perpendicular to my body, and they higher you lift, the less strength I have. Putting a gallon of milk on the bottom shelf of the refrig, no issue. Trying to put in on the top shelf, can't be easily done with my left arm.

ARs are about 6.5 lbs, I appreciate the recs on the Ruger Mini in 5.56, it seems to be the lightest. A 9mm carbine I don't think has the same range/accuracy as the Mini? Also saw the Rem pump 7600, but can't find the wt spec

If you have an issue holding the rifle, you don't want a Remington 760, 7600, or 7615. Those guns all weigh approximately seven and a half pounds unloaded and without optics. Most guns you find used will have an optic, typically some sort of 3-9x40 or fixed 3x or 4x, which would add a pound, pound and a half to the gun. Add in that most 760s and 7600s are in .30-06, with .308 taking a far second. There are .223 and .243 7600s and the 7615, but those calibers are rather uncommon. Let me put it this way, the most recent 7600 I handled was in .35 Whelen.

The Remington 7600 is still in production in .270, .308, and .30-06, in addition to a .30-06 18.5" carbine. The new-production .35 Whelen 7600 I handled had very sloppy quality control, worse than a quality AK. This was back around the middle of this past summer, say June or July, before Remington filed its second bankruptcy. Remington made the 760 from 1952 to 1981. Remington introduced the 7615 in 2007 and the rifle was a flop, with not many made, because Remington intended the 7615 for police sales, right when most police agencies and private consumers were embracing $500-1000 ARs (or M4s, for some police).

If gun weight is a concern, go for a M1 Carbine. Surplus M1 Carbines are coming out of Ethiopia currently. New reproduction guns are available for $1000 +/- a few hundred. With 9x19 and probably .45ACP, and definitely 5.56x45/.223, being very high priced currently, something in an non-current service cartridge would likely be easier to find ammo for. I don't handload .30 Carbine but those who do on here claim that it becomes dirt cheap to handload for. The guns aren't 100% reliable but are reliable enough.

The old Ruger .44 Carbine is quite collectible these days, cost around $1K on GB.
Good to know, not that I'll sell it.

but, I have my dad's .44 Carbine, in absolute mint condition perfect in walnut and bluing, with a period weaver scope.

I think he paid like 100 bucks for it in 1970. It was his VT deer rifle for a year or two, total safe queen since then Ive only shot it a time or two.

How about an M1 Tanker Garand from Shuff’s Parkerizing?

That’ll still be heavy, kick a bunch(considering the OP’s desire to reduce weight), and waste a lot of energy. They seem neat though. But I’ll be sacrilegious and ask for my M1 Tanker Garand in 6.5 ManBun.[cheers] My 1943 Garand is all I need in 30.06.

Marlin 336 in 30-30. Remington 760 pump or 742 semi auto in whatever caliber you want. I have a 760 pump in .35 remington. Love that thing, and I can say you'll never really find 30-30 or .35 rem totally stripped off the shelves.

The .308 Winchester may pack a bit more recoil than you seek, but there is a Winchester 100 at a local (to me) shop.
It sure looks like an overgrown 10/22 to me.

Nobody has mentioned the lowly SKS yet. Are these a no go in MA? Ammo is reasonably inexpensive, available and beats most pistol rounds as for ballistics and such. Ten rounds, mild recoil and weight can be lessened by removing bayonets, grenade launchers and so forth.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5VilRZYwoc

Last edited:

i have a rem 7400 in 30-06 7lbs ?

have you tried shooting from your weak side?

Back
Top Bottom