Biathalon?

Biathlon?

Anyone know of any other than the olympics?

This would be a fun event to try to put together.

Maybe even a winter triathlon with running, skiing, shooting.

Or, pistol, rifle, skiing?

A gun club with some decent real estate would most likely be necessary.

Anyone like this idea?

Otherwise, I'd just be interested in general, or maybe will try it in a non-competitive way myself this winter. Or just compete with myself and a stopwatch.

Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Coyote33 said:
Or, pistol, rifle, skiing?

I like the triathlon idea... But how bout instead of "piston, rifle and skiing"
Something more along the lines of..

Pistol
Rifle
Beer

That I would do!

Adam

Cross-X said:
Derek will be in for the rifle -- beer legs.

I dunno how much of a pistol guy he is.

After all, the slogan isn't "Every Marine a pistolero!"

Darius,

We can be a team, I'll shoot the long gun, you shoot the short gun, and we will do the running as a three legged race. [wink]

derek said:
We can be a team, I'll shoot the long gun, you shoot the short gun, and we will do the running as a three legged race. [wink]

What? I just assumed everyone does the 3 legged race solo. ;-)

Remember, the beer part of the race is last.

Coyote33 said:
derek said:

What? I just assumed everyone does the 3 legged race solo. ;-)

Remember, the beer part of the race is last.

[lol] That depends on how cold it is that day. [wink]

Nickle said:
derek said:
[lol] That depends on how cold it is that day. [wink]

Like cold will stop you from drinking beer. I've seen the pics of you Ice Fishing where you grew up. Colder there, than Northern VT, for sure.

[lol] I was referring to being able to run a three legged race solo. [wink]

Never thought about that, but you aren't either African-American or French, so you couldn't run the 3 legged race solo on a good day anyways.

What's 10 inches long and white? Nothing.

So, back on subject.

ARE THERE any biathalons in MA or New England this winter? I imagine there are, but not sure about it.

Is there interest in this? Anyone know even the slightest about how they work, either olympic or other? Anyone think it would be fun to try? Anyone interested in putting one together?

Sorry for the late entry, but the Northe Leominster Rod and Gun Club has had a biathlon before. The trick is, I believe, that it takes a while to get enough people interested and committed to do it. You can try them and see if its still goes on. I know that it has been done in the winter and in the summer.

Fort Kent, ME is one of the training sights for the Olympic Biathalon teams. They've got the groomed trails and the range, but I don't know if they allow public access.

And, oh, I forgot, they are also 8 hours +North of Boston. [shock] Heck, I can get to NYC faster than I can get up to the top of the County.

My idea of Biathalon is me here, shooting at home on my 100yd range, then getting on my old Panther to shag targets.

Coyote33 said:
So, back on subject.

ARE THERE any biathalons in MA or New England this winter? I imagine there are, but not sure about it.

Is there interest in this? Anyone know even the slightest about how they work, either olympic or other? Anyone think it would be fun to try? Anyone interested in putting one together?

Let me rephrase that...

Wouldn't it be neat and fun to have an amateur type of biathalon where non-Olympians can compete and have some fun? Think of it as a bowling pin shoot on skis. Has anyone ever heard of creampuff triathalons? They are basically watered down, entry level events for people who want to get out and have some fun and get a little exercise and competition at the same time.

In Central Maine we have a similar sport....it just involves driving down flooded Skidder-roads in a 4X4 to a sandpit with the truck bed filled with Guns, ammo, and sutable garbage for plinking (TVs, Computers, Old Appliences et al)

Usally an all-day event!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Just so you know, the Headquarters of the US Biathalon is a very short distance from my workplace. When they mention Colchester, VT and Biathalon, that's about 1/2 mile or less from my office, on the same little post.

Sounds interesting. There was also a bike/shoot ride for motorcycles on the MAF list.

Anyhow, start a new post on that if you could, please.

I want to find any more info/interest on biathlons here.

Thanks.

A man named Fred Meyer is working on his third summer of very informal biathlons at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club. He stated at the club meeting last Thursday that they will resume in June, Friday evenings, 6:00. They run a loop (approximately 2K as I recall), then shoot paper targets with 22 rimfire, then run, then shoot, etc. They don't have the fancy steel targets of the Olympics, so they score the paper after they're complete and add appropriate time penalties. But it's really more about enjoyment and personal improvement than competition.

reply to coyote33:
i think checking the us biathlon link that was provoded is a good start; there is usually a novice, amateur, expert catagory to advance to as you improve. but beware these people are pretty serious so even "novices" may blow you away! there was a guy in my clycling club who was on the UVM team and i think there were events all around new england, not just maine.. and it is not just for college teams.

olympic biathlon competitors are top athletes in my opinion. to cross-country ski at full tilt, then stop, get your pulse rate down, and fire off 5 shots? unreal...

Last edited:
I saw one of these advertised recently in the GOAL newspaper. It is for a "snowshoe biathlon" with blackpowder guns. It says in the spirit of the event, that it will be regardless of the weather. I wonder if they'll make you wear snowshoes if there is no snow. Maybe mountain bikes would be better.

Back
Top Bottom