best value in a ground blind?

StevieP

NES Member
So I'm thinking I'd like to place a ground blind out SOON, in advance of shotgun deer season, to give the local deer population a chance to get used to seeing it there...

Dick's sporting goods sent an ad in the mail yesterday, and they've got one for $79, but the reviews I'm reading on-line for it are very mixed, with more than a couple comments about quality (ripped seams, etc.).

Anyone got a recommendation for a good-quality, lightweight ground blind, suitable for a solo shotgun hunter? Cost is most definitely a factor, unfortunately. The wife has already complained about how much I've spent on this new hobby of mine...

Thanks in Advance.
-Steve in Grafton

http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/index.html

I've got the Doghouse and the Outhouse. I've also got a hub style when 2 man hunting. Hub style is a PITA to setup and its a lot heavier than spring steel blinds.

Me and my dad picked up a Doghouse back in 2008, Liked it so much, we picked up 2 more for other spots.
Only problem we had with it was when the ice storm hit. the weight on the roof shattered the Cross pieces that hold the roof up. Easy fix.

Me and my dad picked up a Doghouse back in 2008, Liked it so much, we picked up 2 more for other spots.
Only problem we had with it was when the ice storm hit. the weight on the roof shattered the Cross pieces that hold the roof up. Easy fix.

No complaints about the doghouse... it survived an entire winter 12 miles from the Canadian boarder last year.

I've seen a few homemade blinds while out scouting. I think I'll like the portability and ease of setup of the doghouse, not to mention the weather protection. I'll use it for turkey & deer hunting & it'll also pull double duty as an ice fishing shanty.

Back
Top Bottom