• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best value AR upper

BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt. You get what you pay for. You'd be happy with any of these

It comes down to who makes their own parts, who makes parts for them and how well do they inspect each part.

At this point I doubt Colt actually makes anything anymore?

Continental Machine is from what I understand one of the largest manufactures of AR parts in the USA.
Also it would be good to Know the 2 largest manufactures of gun springs in CT probably supply most if not all the AR builders out there.

In the end it's a result your looking for that matters. If your looking to dump copious amounts of cheap ammo through a AR and hits on torso are good enough there's no need to spend more on a standard mil-spec barrel or buy a match grade barrel.
If your trying to put your shots in the X ring go for a decent barrel and good ammo.
I picked up a NM AR upper for a friend because he likes how mine shoots.
He then buys a cheap clamp on A2 rear sight....plastic elevation wheel and pot metal POS. Then runs cheapest steel cased through it....why can't I get good groups.... was the next thing out of his mouth.

Have fun with it Don't buy cheap just to buy cheap try to find a good deal on a known decent product

all depends on what you mean by "value" I see value as best quality at an reasonable price. Others see value as cheapest possible parts that wont fall apart.

Another important aspect is what is the gun used for? if its going to be defensive weapon get a better quality upper. If your building it just to toss in the safe or a budget build/beater then you can get a cheaper one. But if it comes to protecting me I get the best I can, and I choose BCM

Another one that I didnt see get alot of love in this post is Spikes Tactical. They make very good stuff

Last edited:
Is it morally okay to put a BCM upper on an Anderson lower? Personally, I think this crosses the line.

yeah, don't do that. you can get aero lowers for like $20. far better quality. if you're going to cheap out on $20 you're in the wrong hobby.

all depends on what you mean by "value" I see value as best quality at an reasonable price. Others see value as cheapest possible parts that wont fall apart.

Another important aspect is what is the gun used for? if its going to be defensive weapon get a better quality upper. If your building it just to toss in the safe or a budget build/beater then you can get a cheaper one. But if it comes to protecting me I get the best I can, and I choose BCM

Another one that I didnt see get alot of love in this post is Spikes Tactical. They make very good stuff
I never cheap out. I'll spend for 7075 vs 6061.

This'll be a lightweight, shoulderable AR. Sport shooting, hunting, home and national defense against tyranny and terrorists (but then I repeat myself).

It'll have a 14.5 or 16 inch "precision" barrel, keymod handguard, red dot or 1 - 6x scope with lighted reticle, etc.

Back
Top Bottom