Best stock trigger on an AR-15?

The ones I've tested ranged from gritty to downright bad.

I know I can change it out, but am looking for the best trigger in a "wow, my first AR!" rifle. In other words, the lest mucking about I have to do with it, the better. After I get familiarized with the inner workings and function I can drop down the rabbit hole of building one.

NOT in Mass, so suggest away!

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand, your looking for what company makes the best milspec trigger. They all suck if your looking for a "nice" trigger. I had 3 factory stag lowers and all 3 felt different.
If your looking for the best milspec trigger just stop and don't buy another one. Save up for at least a nice trigger.
I did the 15min trigger job on most of my mil spec triggers never made one worse. Worth a try
15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15

You can take the grit out of the trigger by lapping/honing the contact points on the trigger and hammer. A set of JP Enterprise springs (~$13 IIRC for the set) also does a lot to lighten up the trigger. You can also use the JP trigger spring, and stock hammer spring if you want. If you change both, and plan to use milspec ammo (5.56) then remove the 'beak' from the back of the hammer so that it will have enough kinetic energy to lite the [harder] mil. primers reliably.

You can also look at the 50 cent trigger job if you want to. It has nothing to do with the wrapper by that name. [rofl2]

No worries, I wasn't going to base it entirely on quality of the trigger. (Thanks for the RR mention, I hadn't heard of their triggers before)

I know the AR platform is insanely popular to millions, but I can't seem to get worked up over them. I was looking at getting one just because the moonbats keep screeching to take them away, so F them. I just found it odd when I was looking them over at a local shop that the triggers all seemed to be pretty crap. When you can get a very nice trigger on a bolt gun, even the lower priced ones, I wondered if there was an explanation of why the AR triggers were bad, something a newbie like me just didn't know?

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone, it is appreciated.

No worries, I wasn't going to base it entirely on quality of the trigger. (Thanks for the RR mention, I hadn't heard of their triggers before)

I know the AR platform is insanely popular to millions, but I can't seem to get worked up over them. I was looking at getting one just because the moonbats keep screeching to take them away, so F them. I just found it odd when I was looking them over at a local shop that the triggers all seemed to be pretty crap. When you can get a very nice trigger on a bolt gun, even the lower priced ones, I wondered if there was an explanation of why the AR triggers were bad, something a newbie like me just didn't know?

It could be that it has to do with the nature of the AR platform itself. It is a modular system that is highly customizable, and it is in fact highly customized by their owners to suit many different uses. Just as with the other components like barrels, rails, optics, compensators, internal bits and pieces... most owners also like to customize their triggers. Why would I want to buy a stock AR with an expensive heavy military trigger when I'm going to use it on a bench for 300+ yard bulls-eye yard competition? Why would I want an expensive 2 stage whisper light trigger for law enforcement or 3-gun?

Some people simply want an inexpensive generic AR for fun and could care less about specialized mods. Others end up replacing just about everything on it. Often owners figure out after their first AR that its sometimes better to simply start with stripped receivers to build it exactly the way they want.

Last edited:

Its a service weapon , you don't want a trigger that is to light ,
When you buy mil spec your buying to a good enough for GI standard that's it. A 7lb trigger would likely feel like 2lbs in a combat situations.
Often when it comes to equipment for the military it just has to be just good enough. The ar in my opinion has lasted 54 years of service because its a simple robust design and works. Accurate enough for combat and can be repaired easily even in the field.
If you want a AR just to have one grab something with a known reputation as being decently made. I own ARs only because I wanted to shoot NRA service rifle matches out to 600 yards once in a while. I have built several and sold most off over the years. .

I have a coated milspec trigger in one and it’s smooth and a decent poundage (I don’t know the manufacturer). Just picked up a Rock River 2 stage and as nice as it is I prefer Armalite’s 2 stage for a couple bucks more.

The Gi Trigger on my LMT was decent, but I replaced it with a Geissele G2S anyway.
If you look how a GI trigger works, its two flat metal surfaces grinding against each other.
Not a great design for a smooth trigger.
The 2 stages work completely different.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="AR15 Trigger: Two Stage vs Single Stage, Geissele and AR-15 Milspec - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have Rock River National Match 2 stage triggers in my AR's. I really like that trigger.

Not too hard. Not too soft. Just right! And very repeatable.

YMMV

Pelican - go buy yourself a S&W M&P Sport for $600 and be done with it. If you decide you really love it, you can spend $80 on a better trigger. At that point, with the right ammo you will have a 1 MOA gun.

And as a Smith and Wesson, its covered by their lifetime service policy. they even pay shipping both ways if there is ever a problem.

Don

A few year back I was at a gun shop I'd never been to (about an hour drive away) picking up a milsurp pistol I'd been searching out for years, and while I was there I saw an AR drop-in trigger group hanging on the gun shop wall. I ended up buying it, and it was pretty much the same price as the gun I was picking up (a Polish P83). Haha! It's a CMC single stage non-adjustable 3.5lb trigger and wow what a difference between that and the stock trigger (rifle is a bare bones A2 pre94ban Frankford Arsenal).

I would love to find a way to bring the pull weight down significantly on both the Garand and M1 carbine but I understand doing so in both those platforms is not nearly as easy, safety and reliability-wise, as doing so with the AR.

Shameless plug here. I have a barely used Rock River Arms National Match 2 stage trigger for sale if anybody is interested for short money $60. I was going to put it in my M&P 15-22, but decided against it. It's definitely a nice trigger for short money!

WTS - AR15,Glock, and S&W parts and accessories!

Its not a plug. I'd consider this a public service announcement.
Great trigger.
Great price.

Perhaps the single most cost effective accuracy upgrade you can make on an AR.

I was in on the Velocity trigger group buy a while back. GREAT drop-in trigger IMO. Went for the lighter model (3-3.5# IIRC, that tipped the scale at just under 3# pull).

IMO, you can get really good trigger replacements without spending stupid money (like over $200). But, if you're looking for really long range precision shot placement, you will want to spend the extra cabbage to get a GREAT trigger group. Plus more on a solid optic to let you see that your target well.

A few year back I was at a gun shop I'd never been to (about an hour drive away) picking up a milsurp pistol I'd been searching out for years, and while I was there I saw an AR drop-in trigger group hanging on the gun shop wall. I ended up buying it, and it was pretty much the same price as the gun I was picking up (a Polish P83). Haha! It's a CMC single stage non-adjustable 3.5lb trigger and wow what a difference between that and the stock trigger (rifle is a bare bones A2 pre94ban Frankford Arsenal).

I would love to find a way to bring the pull weight down significantly on both the Garand and M1 carbine but I understand doing so in both those platforms is not nearly as easy, safety and reliability-wise, as doing so with the AR.
The garand is easy and directions are out there. The carbine is a bit tougher. These 2 are also more tuned by correctly fitting parts. Few tips for the M1 polish the pins and anywhere there is contact. I can't describe how to stone the hooks. You need some quality trigger stones found at brownells.

The garand is easy and directions are out there. The carbine is a bit tougher. These 2 are also more tuned by correctly fitting parts. Few tips for the M1 polish the pins and anywhere there is contact. I can't describe how to stone the hooks. You need some quality trigger stones found at brownells.

I have honing stones. My Garand is a CMP Special Grade .308 and the trigger on that is actually pretty good compared to other Garands I've shot and worked on (fixed several for my American Legion post). The Carbine though, could use a little love.

Ok, it seems the drop-in trigger was far less costly than I had surmised. Thank you for the education on so many offerings out there.

Someone suggested I just get a stock S&W, see if I like it, etc.

I know this has been asked before, a lot, but I will add to the count anyway: What is a good stock AR in a configuration that does NOT have that sight post in front? Maybe in the future I would add a set of buis but this will have an optic on it from the start. From what I have seen, all the Ruger offerings have the dratted thing, so perhaps one of S&W's offerings or another brand would be better?

Why don't you want the A frame style sight post? Its still the best way to shoot open sights. If you put a magnified optic on the gun it disappears. With a red dot its hardly even noticeable.

Just my .02. If I get a minute I'll take a photo of what it looks like through my aimpoint at one.

With that said. all makers offer without the post. You just end up bumping up in price.
Generaly you want to look for something marketed as "optics ready".

Here's an optics ready version of the M&P 15 sport.

M&P®15 SPORT™ II Optics Ready with M-LOK® Handguard | Smith & Wesson

Here's a list of places to buy it on the Internet.

022188872958 - Smith & Wesson 12024 M&p15 Sport Ii Semi-automatic 223 Remington/5.56 Nato 16 | gun.deals

Why don't you want the A frame style sight post? Its still the best way to shoot open sights. If you put a magnified optic on the gun it disappears. With a red dot its hardly even noticeable.

Just my .02. If I get a minute I'll take a photo of what it looks like through my aimpoint at one.

I just never really liked the look of the thing, nothing else. Call it one of those inexplicable peeves.

I would appreciate that, and thanks for the info on the optic-ready version.

I was in on the Velocity trigger group buy a while back. GREAT drop-in trigger IMO. Went for the lighter model (3-3.5# IIRC, that tipped the scale at just under 3# pull).

I’ll throw a plug in for Velocity also. I have the 3# flat-bow trigger in my carbine, it’s insane how smooth it is, especially considering they’re only ~$130

The stock trigger on my LWRC SPR is pretty good. Like any mil spec trigger you need to ‘learn’ it. Where the break is etc

Shameless plug here. I have a barely used Rock River Arms National Match 2 stage trigger for sale if anybody is interested for short money $60. I was going to put it in my M&P 15-22, but decided against it. It's definitely a nice trigger for short money!

WTS - AR15,Glock, and S&W parts and accessories!

Its not a plug. I'd consider this a public service announcement.
Great trigger.
Great price.

Perhaps the single most cost effective accuracy upgrade you can make on an AR.

already have one, love it, needed another and after seeing this thread i jumped on it. good price. good seller.

Back
Top Bottom