• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

best slug shot guns

I'M LOOKING FOR A GOOD ACCURITE SHOT GUN DEDICATED TO DEER HUNTING. ANY RECOMENDATIONS? Any thoughts on bolt action 12g's.

Boy do I have one for you...a 1969 Browning A5 Light Twelve "Buck Special." Comes with a 24" slug barrel and is a potent deer slayer. PM for details.

Boy do I have one for you...a 1969 Browning A5 Light Twelve "Buck Special." Comes with a 24" slug barrel and is a potent deer slayer. PM for details.

Hope you handle that offer better than the the offer you failed to come through on with me....could have simply said not interested.....

Mossberg 500 trophy sluggster, two stock combs, fully cantilevered rifled and ported barrel.

Love mine, accurate as hell with lightfield slugs.

08mossberg3.jpg

Standing shot using 4x4 post as leaning support at 100 yards after minor sighting tweaking from the year before.

7d7c07a4.jpg

Attachments

• 7d7c07a4.jpg
    7d7c07a4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 08mossberg3.jpg
    08mossberg3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I like multi-taskers. The only thing in my house that is NOT a multi-tasker, is maybe a fire extinguisher. I couldn't see buying a dedicated slug gun for taking ~2 meaningful shots per year.

I've got a Remington 870 Express Combo. 12gauge, and handles up to 3" shells. Came with rifled deer barrel, 26" vent-rib barrel with threads for chokes, and I also got an 18" home defense barrel.

I can use this gun for deer, turkeys, and for upland birds, skeet/trap, etc. To be honest, I've only been (sea) duck hunting once, but have used my gun for deer and turkeys in MA for several years. I have yet to shoot a round of skeet, but know I can if I want.

I put a saddle mount picatinny rail on it, and added a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot scope on it for this year's deer season. I missed a doe high with three successive shots last year shooting with open sights. I don't want to miss again.

I missed a doe high with three successive shots last year shooting with open sights. I don't want to miss again.

If you had a dedicated slug gun, or even a cantilevered slug barrel (scope stays mounted on the barrel when you take it off to put your bird barrel on), that probably would not have happened.....

First: Budget? For less than $100, you can get a used mossy bolt gun that will likely be more accurate than the ammo.

Second: Why a dedicated slug gun? An 870 with a couple different barrels (slug, regular) might be better.

Third: Remember, that if you're going for deer, you'll get few shots beyond 50 yards in most area of Mass. You'll have to test it with several different types of ammo.

i have a Mossberg 695 and love it to death. its a bolt action with a 22inch ported and rifled barrel with a synthetic stock and a parkerized barrel. mine is topped with a scope. ive knocked deer off there feet dead in there tracks outside of 100 yards but the short barrel makes it east to take quick close shots. but anything that shoots a sabot is better than a rifled slug.imo

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

I was on the fence about the Mossberg but sounds like that is reliable platform, and it sounds like many people have favorites. The savage 220 and 212 has caught my eye so thanks for the info on those. The Ithica III is a no brainer. Probably the best pump gun for long range shooting with a shoot gun made. If any one has one of these for sale please let me know.

I've got a 500 too, and it's my "every season" gun. I've got the cantilever slug barrel, and a 28" smoothbore. Learned to shoot trap with it, hunt deer, turkey and small game with it. It's also got an 18" barrel that's on it whenever it's not in the woods with me.

First: Budget? For less than $100, you can get a used mossy bolt gun that will likely be more accurate than the ammo.

Second: Why a dedicated slug gun? An 870 with a couple different barrels (slug, regular) might be better.

Third: Remember, that if you're going for deer, you'll get few shots beyond 50 yards in most area of Mass. You'll have to test it with several different types of ammo.

First, no. You might be able to buy an old polychoked mossy bolt for less than 100 bucks but the mossy bolt slug guns are a lot more than that.

Second. No way is a combo gun better than a dedicated slugger. Cheaper immediate investment for a multi use tool? Yea maybe, but a dedicated slugger is far superior for harvesting deer at multiple ranges with confidence of a quick and ethical kill.

Third, absolutely false. I have shot more deer at over 100 yards with slugs than I can count on my fingers and toes in Mass and NY. In a treestand it is quit easy to see well over 150 yards in large stands of mature hardwoods. Even further with field edge setups.

I to have the 500 field deer combo and with a sabot slug from a rest I can drop them all in the 9 ring at 100 yards...Super cheap as well the combo is on sale at dicks all the time for 300 bucks. The above poster is correct a dedicated slug gun is going to be a bit better but the 500 is plenty good for almost any situation you will see in mass weather it be in the field woods or water... There are better and my 500 took a back seat to my versamax for everything but a slug gun.. But as a jack of all trades that doesn't hurt the wallet to bad... it gets my vote.. I have no intention on replacing it with a dedicated slug gun...

I have a older Ithaca deer slayer,they have a reputation of being very accurate and I agree.

I'll take a picture later I have a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. I changed the stock to a Boyds thumbhole to help with the recoil. I have a Leupold 3-9 on the setup. I took my deer last year at 125 yards, clean shot in the lungs.

photo (27).JPG

Last edited:
far beyond what slug gun you buy is what you put into it.... If it says sabot on the box or not.... Spend 750 bucks in a nice slug gun and put in a lead slug or a rifled slug it will not out shoot a 300 dollar 500 with a sabot....

far beyond what slug gun you buy is what you put into it.... If it says sabot on the box or not.... Spend 750 bucks in a nice slug gun and put in a lead slug or a rifled slug it will not out shoot a 300 dollar 500 with a sabot....

Of course if you put a square peg in a round hole your gonna get a shitty result.

I wouldn't get a dedicated slug gun. Changing barrels on my Benelli takes 10 seconds, you can have slug barrels or smooth bore ones of different lengths and variety of chokes.

My 18.5 barrel is plenty accurate with slugs and is a smooth bore.

I have an old Mossberg 835 with a new rifled barrel and a cantilever scope mount. I was shooting Hornaday sst sabot's and it was terrible. I can group better with my smoothbore 870 and open sights at 50 yards. I suggest the 220 or the H & R slug hunter. Anybody have suggestions on better slugs for my Mossberg. I got sick of paying almost $3 a shot and not hitting crap!

I have an old Mossberg 835 with a new rifled barrel and a cantilever scope mount. I was shooting Hornaday sst sabot's and it was terrible. I can group better with my smoothbore 870 and open sights at 50 yards. I suggest the 220 or the H & R slug hunter. Anybody have suggestions on better slugs for my Mossberg. I got sick of paying almost $3 a shot and not hitting crap!

Lightfields. Thats all they do is create superior sabot slugs for hunting applications. I use the lightfield commanders in 3" but they may not be making those anymore. Others I know are getting great results from the hybrid EXP's which are their newest offering.

http://litfld.com/wp/?page_id=14

Back
Top Bottom