• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Hunter shot

Sparkey

NES Member
He got smacked a lot harder than some serious poachers have.
But they don't mention the amount of $$ fine.
Dumbass makes all hunters look bad.

I ain't gonna lie, I almost popped some poor bastards decoy when I was a teenager. I was with a friend and we were both new to turkey hunting and luckily I was not aiming in the direction of the other hunter. We we're walking out in the middle of the day to grab lunch and I was doing some locating calls while we were walking and we heard some calls come back to us so we went and checked it out and thought we spotted a bird. Turns out it was just a super realistic decoy in a fairly wooded area and it took a few seconds for me to realize something was off about it and then I lowered my shotgun and looked closer and realized it only had one leg that was a straight metal rod and it wasn't moving even though it should have been able to see us lol It also really didn't help that the other hunter was practically in a ghillie suit didn't see us until we were on top of eachother and he was calling back to me the whole time because he thought my calls were actual turkeys also lol

I ain't gonna lie, I almost popped some poor bastards decoy when I was a teenager. I was with a friend and we were both new to turkey hunting and luckily I was not aiming in the direction of the other hunter. We we're walking out in the middle of the day to grab lunch and I was doing some locating calls while we were walking and we heard some calls come back to us so we went and checked it out and thought we spotted a bird. Turns out it was just a super realistic decoy in a fairly wooded area and it took a few seconds for me to realize something was off about it and then I lowered my shotgun and looked closer and realized it only had one leg that was a straight metal rod and it wasn't moving even though it should have been able to see us lol It also really didn't help that the other hunter was practically in a ghillie suit didn't see us until we were on top of eachother and he was calling back to me the whole time because he thought my calls were actual turkeys also lol
That's why you don't walk around and hunt turkeys (which is basically what you were doing). You sit and call them to you and bad things don't happen.

That's why you don't walk around and hunt turkeys (which is basically what you were doing). You sit and call them to you and bad things don't happen.

Stalking the wrong gender mo less. Some people are dummer than a bag of hammers. It looks like he paid a stiff price for it.

“On Thursday, October 27, 2022, the shooter pleaded guilty to all charges. The shooter was ordered to pay a monetary fine and lost hunting privileges for five years, this loss will extend into 48 additional states next month when the Commonwealth formally joins the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. The firearm was ordered to be destroyed and the shooter’s firearms license is being reviewed.”

I hadn’t heard that Massachusetts was joining the IWVC. I would have expected Mass to be one of the first to join not one of the last.

They were BOTH on private and posted land. Why does the guy who got shot get to talk absent any charges.... Trespassing at a minimum applies. Had he not been trespassing, and himself illegally hunting posted land, he wouldn't have gotten shot.

Can't say I have much sympathy for either of them... Sad a fellow hunter got shot, but if either man had decided not to break the law that day, this never happens.

Also, when you turkey call, every once in a while do the "Jane got a haircut ".... sequence with the call... It's a good way to let other hunters know you're not a bird. Once I did the "Jane's got a haircut" sequence, to hear back the "two bits".... We both stood up, waved at each other, and moved on.

They were BOTH on private and posted land. Why does the guy who got shot get to talk absent any charges.... Trespassing at a minimum applies. Had he not been trespassing, and himself illegally hunting posted land, he wouldn't have gotten shot.

Can't say I have much sympathy for either of them... Sad a fellow hunter got shot, but if either man had decided not to break the law that day, this never happens.

Also, when you turkey call, every once in a while do the "Jane got a haircut ".... sequence with the call... It's a good way to let other hunters know you're not a bird. Once I did the "Jane's got a haircut" sequence, to hear back the "two bits".... We both stood up, waved at each other, and moved on.
Maybe the guy that got shot had permission to hunt the property.

I didn't anything in the article that mentioned if he was supposed to be there or not.

Turkey hunting has always been a bigger deal down South, and I've always said that dressing up like a bush and gobbling like a turkey is a good way to get yourself shot.
LOL dummy shoots another hunter in Mass and you are criticizing the South? Since you capitalized South I assume south of the Mason Dixon, not NH border.

That said, blaze orange for sure helps to spot other hunters.

LOL dummy shoots another hunter in Mass and you are criticizing the South? Since you capitalized South I assume south of the Mason Dixon, not NH border.

That said, blaze orange for sure helps to spot other hunters.
I was criticizing turkey hunting, no matter where it happens.

Being from the South, I've known people who have been fanatical turkey hunters for decades. And they don't wear blaze orange: they dress up like bushes and gobble like turkeys, like all successful turkey hunters everywhere. They also catch some shot from other hunters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ7eLPoqIHU

The guy that got shot probably had permission.....or was actually the land owner.....both are quite possible.

But why was the firearm destroyed?
I had a friend who was an avid duck hunter. He and a friend were warming up for the season by shooting clays in a pasture. A couple of barn swallows swooped down and his friend popped them both.

A USFWS agent had been watching them through binoculars and swooped in to make the big bust: "Migratory non-game bird". It cost him a $5,000 fine for each bird and the loss of his shotgun. Since the clays thrower was a hitch mount attached to his truck, they could have seized the truck as well.

My friend was just glad it hadn't been his turn, because he would have done the same.

Can you hunt turks from a tree stand?
Yes. Ive shot many out of a tree. With the bow. Most of them in CT during the fall season in coincidence with deer hunting.

Never specifically hunted Turkey out of a treestand in the spring. Typically, its tough to target where they will be, so you want to be somewhat mobile, moving spot to spot. Treestands wouldn't be a great idea. When I move spot to spot, I put blaze on while in motion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom