• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best rifle ever?

Does anyone know what would make the HK PSG1 A1 leo only? Has anyone seen shot one?Anyone seen one available somehow.Best one yet, anyone know a price or do I dare ask.It looks beautiful so why can't I have one? Would anyone believe me if I tell them I just want to hang it on the wall, you know like art?

Does anyone know what would make the HK PSG1 A1 leo only? Has anyone seen shot one?Anyone seen one available somehow.Best one yet, anyone know a price or do I dare ask.It looks beautiful so why can't I have one? Would anyone believe me if I tell them I just want to hang it on the wall, you know like art?

Never heard they were for LEO only; although it may or may not have been HKs policy to sell to LEO only, there's no legal reason why a civilian can't own one.

The reason they're so expensive is due to the ban on importation of them.

I've only seen one for sale at Four Seasons. That was a couple years ago. IIRC, the price was around $10k.

Surely a very fine rifle, but it is awfully hard to argue that one particular rifle is the "best rifle ever."

They are sold only to law enforcement agencies since the 1989 import ban because they would qualify as a non-sporting rifle as imported. Also there are federal excise tax implications, as PDs and government agencies don't pay excise tax.

--EasyD

Does anyone know what would make the HK PSG1 A1 leo only?

It isn't "LEO ONLY." It's because I think (Clinton?) banned importation
of the gun by executive order. That's what makes them rare and
expensive more than anything else. (well, that and
the high initial sticker price)

Note that, LE/military are allowed to circumvent any import bans,
which basically may be why it shows up as LEO ONLY etc when
being sold by some dealers, etc.

I wouldn't fret it- there are plenty of semiautomatic .308s out
there that will meet/beat the PSG1's standard anyways, for the
kind of money they sell for. They're pretty much an HK collector
toy and nothing more. You can probably get a twinked out M1A
that will do everything a PSG1 does for half the price... or any
number of other .308s, for that matter. You could probably even
get something else that's "exotic" in that price class!

-Mike

I hear ya, just needed a title.Anything out there close in quality for less than a down payment on a house.

Sure. Get yourself a good M1A, with a fiberglass stock. Lots of gunsmiths can tune them quite well. Scope mounting is tricky, but doable. If you like the AR platform, get a new target grade AR10.

I do like 2 other rifles Armalite AR10 Supersass and thanks to Jose turning me on to Savage that seem to be readily available the Target 12f series but my prob. with the Savage is the STRANGE ammo (or strange to me).Obviously though there are other models.

jlotta, how much do you really know about rifles and shooting them?

You seem to bounce around with no rhyme or reason. Did you know that most target and sniper rifles are still in 308 Winchester?

I made it to the Master classification in NRA Long Range matches using a slightly customized Remington Model 700 chambered in 308 Winchester and match-grade aperture iron sights. I didn't need a $10,000 rifle.

Savage makes an F/TR target rifle and several law enforcement bolt actions (available to anyone with the cash) all in 308 Winchester.

What? Savage 10fp in .308 is a kick ass rifle for $500 plus add on $500 for leupold optics and you're golden...I'de take 10 of those over the PSG1 anyday. Don't understand what you mean by strange rounds...

I do like 2 other rifles Armalite AR10 Supersass and thanks to Jose turning me on to Savage that seem to be readily available the Target 12f series but my prob. with the Savage is the STRANGE ammo (or strange to me).Obviously though there are other models.

What? Savage 10fp in .308 is a kick ass rifle for $500 plus add on $500 for leupold optics and you're golden...I'de take 10 of those over the PSG1 anyday. Don't understand what you mean by strange rounds...

It means he can't do a basic product search on a manufacturer's website.

PSG-1 was the answer to a specific problem during the Munich debacle, when the German snipers attempting the rescue of the Israeli athletes were inhibited by, among other things, an inability to take rapid followup shots.

Comparing it to a $500 Savage isn't even worth it. In the hands of shooters of equivalent skill, the PSG-1 will outperform a stock Savage just like it should. Yes, an accurized bolt-action will match and surpass the performance of the PSG-1 in terms of straight accuracy, but the capability for rapid followup shots (19-29 of them) is what separates the PSG-1 from bolt action rifles. In terms of capability, it's not as unique any more, but it was the only game in town, and defined its class when it was first introduced. They didn't have accurized .308 ARs back then, and the PSG-1 was a better rifle than other semi-auto designs such as the M21 and Dragunov.

Last edited:
I'm just saying I could buy a 50 BMG Barrett but...I won't because it's kinda pointless at 100yrds. I doubt he has a 1000yrd range in his backyard and needs a $10,000 gun for it

i had a psg1 i like my gaps better better tool, it depends on what your misson is m24 m40 m25 or bolt. hd rifle if you can find one, so on just mho thanks

Back
Top Bottom