Best Quality .22LR Bolt Action or Lever Action?

I tell ya, this is a tough one for me.

I like the Ruger 10/22 rifle because it is inexpensive, accurate, simple, clean design, lots of parts, etc.

I like the quality of the Ceska Zbrojovka and the [url=http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_Semi_.22_Clsc.htm]Thompson Center[/URL] .

I LOVE the snick snick of the Henrys, including or maybe especially The Henry Golden Boy.

Savage is local, which has something going for it.

Marlin is the bargain gun, but I don't care for quality control. Others disagree ("most popular 22 in the world.").

Remington is known to be good, or at least used to be. I haven't heard much lately.

And, certainly, check out the CMP RIFLES.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger 77/22 Bolt action that is really nice. It is the "target grey" stainless barrel with a wood laminated stock. I really like it and recommend it to anyone looking for a very good quality .22 bolt action.

View attachment 294

Chris

Last edited:
AR-15 with a .22 conversion kit is just the thing!

Aside from that, I picked up a Russian TOZ-17 .22 bolt action a few years back (actually have two). It was $20 and it works great.

I got a Browning BL22 which is a thing of beauty. I hate to use a scope on it though, it messes up the old west look and feel.

Winchester 9422 is the gun I grew up on (til age 8). They're stopping production after this year but you can buy one of the new ones for MSRP $550 and you won't be disappointed. Great gun.

Check out the recommendations at www.rimfirecentral.com

After reviewing the comments on a number of rifles last year, and after further research on the net, I bought a CZ 452 - American. Tremendous rifle - a light, well-made, bolt action with the fit and feel of a larger gun. For short money, it's a very accurate .22 rifle. On the 50-yard range you can shoot 1/2" groups all day. The American model requires installation of a scope, but there are others that have fixed iron site.

Check out the CZ website, too.

Check out the recommendations at www.rimfirecentral.com

After reviewing the comments on a number of rifles last year, and after further research on the net, I bought a CZ 452 - American. Tremendous rifle - a light, well-made, bolt action with the fit and feel of a larger gun. For short money, it's a very accurate .22 rifle. On the 50-yard range you can shoot 1/2" groups all day. The American model requires installation of a scope, but there are others that have fixed iron site.

Check out the CZ website, too.

I second on the CZ-452.
I own the predecessor of this model (2-E), and have mounted a cheap
4x32 Bushnell Sportsman. With the right ammo it will group even smaller
than 1/2".
It has an adjustable rear sight (windage & elevation), too.

I second on the CZ-452.
I own the predecessor of this model (2-E), and have mounted a cheap
4x32 Bushnell Sportsman. With the right ammo it will group even smaller
than 1/2".
It has an adjustable rear sight (windage & elevation), too.

And I'll third the CZ-452. You'll probably need to spend twice as much to get a better bolt action .22. It's accurate, it occupies a sweet spot on the price/performance curve, and unlike a dedicated target rifle I wouldn't hesitate to take it into the woods.

CZ-452FS is my first choice. Beautiful gun, the only trick is to correctly tighten the screws after taking the action out of the stock, it is tough and accuracy is poor if you do it wrong. You also need to do a little work to correctly free float the barrel.

My favorite is the Marlin M39 lever action. Walnut & blued steel, just like the old days. While it's not your typical target rifle, mine shines at rolling empty soda cans at 50 yds.

The best .22 bolt action ever made was the Winchester Model 52. It is long since out of production, but for a bit of cash, good used ones are available. C and D models are strictly target rifles (and there aren't all that many around). The B model makes a fine target rifle (equipped with decent sights), but has a lighter stock and barrel and makes a fine field rifle also.

I should add that for a while Kimber made a virtual copy of the M52. I never had my hands on one, but reportedly it was as good as a Winchester.

The Kimber you speak of? Was that the one CMP was selling recently?

I recall lots of fellow shooters with Win 52s when I first started shooting back in the mid-1970s. Very popular gun.

The Kimber you speak of? Was that the one CMP was selling recently?

I recall lots of fellow shooters with Win 52s when I first started shooting back in the mid-1970s. Very popular gun.

I'm not sure what CMP is selling.

One of Kimber's first, if actually its first, productions was a copy of the Win52. It was reputed to be every bit as good as the Winchester version, and, like the Winchester version, it was exceedingly expensive to manufacture. It was then discontinued, and Kimber brought out a different .22 bolt rifle of a different design. I'm referring to the original one, which I think was called the Model 82.

Back
Top Bottom