• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best OC Spray & Pattern

Catoperat

NES Member
I am looking to get some OC spray for a less than lethal option. I plan to primarily use it to ward off aggressive dogs when I walk my own dog (on a leash), but stopping an aggressive human is not out of the question. What brand(s) do you recommend? Is a 2oz size enough? Also, what pattern (fog, spray, foam, etc...)
I am leaning towards a Fox 5.3 2oz cone spray.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
In any product manufacture you decide to go with a stream pattern works best. Aim for the eyes, mouth and nose.

You might also want to carry some decontamination wipes with you too, in case of back spray to yourself. Sudecon is one of many products available and is easy to carry in a pocket.

In any product manufacture you decide to go with a stream pattern works best. Aim for the eyes, mouth and nose.

You might also want to carry some decontamination wipes with you too, in case of back spray to yourself. Sudecon is one of many products available and is easy to carry in a pocket.

I think the stream is best for LE use (liability). I would recommend a fogger to someone with it for self defense. I have used OC, and trained with inert units and find that, against a quick attacker, itis not really easy to hit the person in the face.

I carry: http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3029.php

I do have cone pattern but normally carry the stream pattern. Cone is easier to get in the bad guy's face but it is also easier to get in your face if it is windy. And, it is windy quite often.

The stream pattern is certainly good enough for dogs, who aren't quite as smart and talented as humans to get out of the way of the stream in time. For a dog, you just need to get a tiny bit on their face and they'll run away whimpering like a baby. The one time I had to use it on a dog in the woods that was in attack mode, he jumped out of the way of the stream, but not fast enough... maybe a couple drops hit his snout but that was enough to send him scurrying. I had no need to soak the dog with a cone pattern.

But if facing a group of thugs, I'd rather have a big can that sprays a cone pattern. Preferably a big bear spray can so they can be hosed down with it at once, but a 4oz will do.

I've got the ASP OC/kubaton. I can use it as OC, or I can peel someone off me and then if they come back I can spray 'em. Also, 2 less lethal tools in one. Also, this way if SHTF and I have to use my gun, I can state in court that I had less lethal options (that may not have been appropriate, etc. depending on the situation), but I'm glad I have all the tools at my fingertips, if I ever need to use them. Always remember to get training inserts/get training in OC or kubaton, and practice practice practice if you plan to use them.

I also carry the ASP combination OC/Kubotan. However I carry the medium sized "key defender" model and not the slightly smaller "palm defender". The key defender is more comparable in size to the traditional kubotan.
They do not have the range of say, the unit a police officer would carry, however I feel it is a good comprimise between effectiveness and easy of carry. Also it is nice to be able to spray then transition to kubotan with the same tool in the same hand.

I used to carry a stream pattern until I had to use it under stress on a dog that came out of nowhere... and missed... twice. I was backing up at the time.

The cone pattern that I carry now could have been sprayed with an "S" motion, while retreating, and the "assailant" would have received a mouth/nose/eye/lung-full.

If you do get a spray, expect to get some on you if you deploy it. To me, the stream / foam is the way to go since it has less possibility of getting in your eyes when you use it. If you have never been OC'd it is an unplesant experience and some react more than others. If you are moving at all, you create enough of a disturbance to end up with OC drifting around if you use a spray IMO.

Cone is easier to get in the bad guy's face but it is also easier to get in your face if it is windy. And, it is windy quite often.

I once sprayed some people with stream and landed a direct hit to my right eye due to wind. Stream is affected by wind.

Use a cone or spray for animals and stream for humans.

I like to paint someone's face with the cone. [smile]

I once sprayed a guy with stream, he turned his head at the last second, and I only got his cheek, but every time I've used cone, I've gotten 180 degrees of their head/face.

YMMV.

Where'd y'all get the combo kubaton/OC ?
It's making my keychain huge carrying one of each on there...

A lot of police supply stores have them too, if you want to try a few sizes out before buying.

A lot of police supply stores have them too, if you want to try a few sizes out before buying.

From ASP's website:

Massachusetts

J.B. Simons, INC

329 Lynnway

Lynn, MA 01901

(781) 595-2644

www.simonsuniforms.com

Andrea's Police Supply

Raynham Marketplace

1470 Route 44

Raynham, MA 02767

(508) 821-5815

www.andreaspolicesupply.com

But I got mine from M&S Police supply in somerville... make sure you get a training inert insert so you can practice!!

Last edited:
dagwag77, please don't post any info on places that ship OC to Mass., our AG doesn't like that stuff. [grin]

vexor.jpg

Hell in a can at 15 Million SHUs

Back
Top Bottom