Best multi stage reloading press..... thoughts??

I am planning on starting my venture into reloading. I have narrowed the field to a choice between dillon x-650 and a RCBS 2000 ??? I think i have the names somewhat wrong but I was looking to hear from reloaders who have dillon and RBCS products and the good and bad.... Thanks in advance.

Don't leave out the Hornady LnL, if you can find one in stock somewhere. I have a Dillon 550B, but would have purchased an LnL if I could have found one. I'm not familiar with the RCSB press.

If a moderator could please move this to the reloading thread.. i didnt see it when i posted, and cant move it myself

Lot of praise for the Hornady recently. I have a single stage press, but eventually I will get the Hornady when/if I want to reload a lot.

I don't like the RCBS dies. If you're loading 9mm or 5.56 with them, and bump into berdan primed brass, you'll break pins.

Dillon dies are great, as are Lee dies. The Hornady knock out punches seem to be similar in design to the Lee and Dillon.

The Hornady uses a primer pick up tube, similar to Dillon.

I much prefer the Lee primer feeding mechanism.

I have an RCBS Pro 2000. It's a great press. However now that I know what I'm doing I wish I'd bought the Dillon because they have auto indexing. YMMV.

The LNL is an excellent press, the only real problem with it is it appears to be made of unobtainium. Maybe if I place a backorder with some company that sells them, I might be able to get one by Christmas. [laugh]

-Mike

Natchez got a truck load of them in yesterday. They sent out all the ones on back order and put the rest on their web site. They sold out in 4 hours.

It looks like the only way to get one is to get on a back order list.

I'd narrow the list to the Dillon 650 and the Hornady L-N-L. The Hornady has a far better powder measure, but the case feeder on the Dillon is easier to set up.

If you're going to load lots of calibers, caliber conversions are much cheaper on the Hornady.

Make sure you have the room above your reloading bench for the 650. They look awfully tall with the case feeder attached. Dillon has a good reputation for taking care of their customers.

I use a Lee Loadmaster. Once you learn the press and its little tricks it is flawless and fast. Caliber changes are easy. FM Reloading, Wideners, Midway, and Natchez all carry them along with parts to set up different calibers.

Back
Top Bottom