Best CCW holster for S&W J-frame?

I have both DeSantis Nemesi and Mica. I have never carried Mica on the street because it has a wider opening which I feel makes my pocket stand out too much. Nemesis, on the other hand, contours to the shape of my 442. However, when drawing from a pocket, Nemesis, will often times come out with the revolver unless I get the draw just right, while Mica's will always stay in the pocket.

holsters

I met depicts back awhile ago, he had a j frame in a pocket holster.

I know he had someting in his pocket, possibly a wallet but could not
tell he was carrying.

Maybe he could share the holster type.

JimB

A lot of people have bought the Mika holster and love it. It ensures a nice clean draw and re-holster, whereas the "flat ones" like the Uncle Mikes collapse and you can't get the gun back in the holster afterwards.

I've never heard/read anything negative about the Mika holster on any forum and it is extensively discussed on a number of them that I read on a regular basis.

I'm very pleased with mine. Robert Mika is a pleasure to deal with, a true gentleman.

I plan to order a holster for my 3914 very soon.

Gary

Yuppers...Just ordered a square cut for my 642CT after really loving the round cut I bought initially. It's so effective that for me, buying anything else for pocket carry just does not make sense - especially for under $20.00

I met depicts back awhile ago, he had a j frame in a pocket holster.

I know he had something in his pocket, possibly a wallet but could not
tell he was carrying.

Maybe he could share the holster type.

JimB

Jim and others. That was the Mika round bottom pocket holster.

It does show something is in my pocket, at least in jeans, but you'd never know what it was. Look around at people and see how many are carrying cell phones, PDAs, wallets and other stuff and their front pockets swell a little bit.

I have been wearing the Mika with a 442 in my pocket for over a year now, every day and no one has noticed it, even the gunnies at the club or the gunshop. People are surprised as heck when I pull the gun out at the range, they had no idea I was carrying.

I have three styles of Mikas, round, square, and IWB. They are all good to go

Jim, that was a funny day. First that guy said he wasn't carrying because he didn't think he should bring a gun into Massnee's house. Then you said, why not, I have one, and Massnee said,... I have one, and then I said I have one. That just struck me as real funny. There was a fourth guy there also carrying, I think it was Adam, and he was carrying too.

Last edited:
Renegade Model 500 Ankle Holster

I have owned and worn a Renegade Model 500 Ankle Holster for almost as long as I have owned and carried my S&W 642. Like any ankle holster it takes a little getting use to. I feel funny leaving the house without it now and once its on I usually forget its there. It features a nice wide stretchy nylon ankle band that closes with velcro (easy on/easy off) and prevents 'rocking' (a problem with narrower ankle straps). The safety strap is a 'draw through' style made of elastic material. It secured the J-frames by strapping over the trigger guard - this makes it functional for all j frames whether hammerless or not. As you can tell, I really like this holster. I miss it in the summer when I can't wear it (the shorts aren't quite long enough ;-).

Do some searching in google etc as there have been some pretty strong reviews of this holster. It IS hard to track these folks down as they do not have a website. The link below is one source I found in a quick google search.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine.cfm?brand=Renegade&page=gear

I carried a model 60 daily in an IWB (appendix position) rig for over 15 years. I started with a cheap, thin IWB holster and regretted it. The thin suede did little to smooth out the contours of the gun and made carry a little uncomfortable. The holster would collapse when the gun was drawn, making reholstering a two handed operation. I was given a hard leather IWB holster of unknown MFR and what an improvement. The hard leather smoothed the contours of the gun and was more comfortable than the thin suede and remained open after the draw so that you could re-holster one handed. Un fortunately I wore this holster until the stitching rotted out and it fell apart. I lost the parts before I could get it reassembled. Back to the thin suede POS. I luckily found a JP hard leather IWB holster in a "bargain bin" for $5 and I was back in business. I still have this one and will rebuild it as is necessary. The purpose of this rather long post is to suggest hard leather over soft for an IWB.

I tried a Safariland ankle holster for the same model 60. I was wearing this holster one night when a couple of thugs ripped off a pinball machine in a bar I managed, and ran out the door. I gave chase and was getting pretty close to one of the miscreants when the retaining strap on the ankle holster let go. The 60 preceeded me down the street and the rearmost scum could have scooped it up had he known it was following him down the sidewalk. He didn't, and I did with a sigh of relief. I never wore that rig again and gave up on ankle rigs that night. I still have it, and its for sale.

Back
Top Bottom