• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best .22LR bolt action bang for the buck? CZ, Savage, Ruger?

Does the RP rim fire come with a canted rail? Theres a simple chart at brownells
Or calculators on line

dont forget to leave room for and scope lens caps
I like/need low scopes . My cheak to eyeball distance seems shorter than most (most of my 22s are fixed combs.
1.25”-1.35” should be plenty

you can use balls of clay to figure it out also

i have come to like burris signature XTR rings I think I have 1.0” hieght but my rail adds to that for bolt clearance
It does come with a 30 MOA rail mounted. Thanks for the info...I’ll check into it but most have been using large height like you have.

Almost liked it , until no zero stop...
I just received this 4-12x40 Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EC7KMY
Made in Philippines, not China. An extremely simple, cheap, very basic, nothing special scope, obviously with hunting application in mind. A second focal plane, as it is cheap, very light, optics are pretty clear at 12x, but, it is obviously not a tactical scope. distortion and cloudiness wise it is ok, picture is pretty clear, i do not see too much oberrations, it is usable. eye relief is more generation than on a 5-25 viper, as the latter is set to be used when you are on cheek rest, this one is for the hunting rifle held up, so, i guess should be easier for my kids to master. will see. it is easy to find a good $1k scope, to find a good <$200 is trickier. :)

In any need for more features I can move the $1000 viper around, but, I do not think a .22lr rifle will need it, well, will see. i was curious to see how low end vortexes look like, so, now i know.
hopefully by a next week end i will put it all together for a test and zero.

Last edited:
I just received this 4-12x40 Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EC7KMY
Made in Philippines, not China. An extremely simple, cheap, very basic, nothing special scope, obviously with hunting application in mind. A second focal plane, as it is cheap, very light, optics are pretty clear at 12x, but, it is obviously not a tactical scope. distortion and cloudiness wise it is ok, picture is pretty clear, i do not see too much oberrations, it is usable. eye relief is more generation than on a 5-25 viper, as the latter is set to be used when you are on cheek rest, this one is for the hunting rifle held up, so, i guess should be easier for my kids to master. will see. it is easy to find a good $1k scope, to find a good <$200 is trickier. :)

In any need for more features I can move the $1000 viper around, but, I do not think a .22lr rifle will need it, well, will see. i was curious to see how low end vortexes look like, so, now i know.
hopefully by a next week end i will put it all together for a test and zero.
I have my share of sub $300 scopes along with cheap blister pack scopes on both 22s and air rifles.
Inside 100 yards I like my Mueller for fun 22lr plinking.
As I think more "match" related most $200 scopes fail hard.
Zero stop comes in real handy if your dialing distance often , some scopes are way to busy reticle. Some times i juzt like my old school 4x cross hair reticle , zeroed for 75 yards and just hold a smidge high or low as needed.

I am about ready to order this scope. I think the 6-24 would be a little overkill for what I plan on doing with it. You can't beat the Vortex warranty, and for the money you definitely get a lot of bang for your buck! I am going with the 1" tall rings as it has the 44mm objective. Now the real question is do I go MIL or MOA? My Nightforce on my .308 is in MOA so I am probably going to just go with what I am used to already and not have to reinvent the wheel?

I am about ready to order this scope. I think the 6-24 would be a little overkill for what I plan on doing with it. You can't beat the Vortex warranty, and for the money you definitely get a lot of bang for your buck! I am going with the 1" tall rings as it has the 44mm objective. Now the real question is do I go MIL or MOA? My Nightforce on my .308 is in MOA so I am probably going to just go with what I am used to already and not have to reinvent the wheel?

If your used to MOA go with that. I went with Mil because my rangefinder is in Mil amd that’s what I’m used to.

It’s a very good scope for the money. A little scope shadow but I got used to it quickly.

It is a good scope, I was looking at it, but went with a cheaper one as I have 5-25x viper. Issues with diamondbacks- turrets are bit mushy, no zero stop - so model I got will not be ever adjusted, I will zero it and let it be. If you need or expect to dial in anything, I would get a viper or razor.
Also, midway has yours for $100 cheaper.
Or that - has zero stop and priced reasonable.

Last edited:

I got that exact scope in MIL to have a little more magnification for grouping/load development.

Zoom adjustment is a little stiff, and there is color distortion on 150+ yard objects when you are at the higher magnifications.

Overall nice feel to it though, and the glass performs well enough. I also like the Christmas tree reticle. It’s no Tremor 3, but it gets the job done and is surprisingly easy to get on target fast at 4x with the long thick vertical and horizontal stadia lines.

Absolutely not worth the MSRP, but worth the $270 I paid for it.

Last edited:
so, just ran numbers in the calculator and it seems it all works out fine - this second plane diamondback reticle got 3 drops.
if the rifle will be zeroed at 25yd - that gives 50yd a .4" elevation, basically just aim at the base of the 1" bullseye at 12x.

at 10yd it is 1st drop at 4x. a 100yd - 2nd drop hash at 12x. easy.
200 yds is trickier, top of bottom post at 6x. at 12x it is an exact double distance from a center to top of bottom post.
but, most likely this .22lr rifle will never be shot at anything longer than 100yds and up to 100yds this reticle should work perfect with a 25yd zero.

a 50yd zero brings 2nd drop for 90yds, 3rd to 120yds. i guess i'll have to play with it all a bit. but as i envision my kids to be primary consumers of this build - most likely the 25yd will be the primary working distance they will use it at, so it makes more sense to zero it there.

1614456044206.png

so, just ran numbers in the calculator and it seems it all works out fine - this second plane diamondback reticle got 3 drops.
if the rifle will be zeroed at 25yd - that gives 50yd a .4" elevation, basically just aim at the base of the 1" bullseye at 12x.

at 10yd it is 1st drop at 4x. a 100yd - 2nd drop hash at 12x. easy.
200 yds is trickier, top of bottom post at 6x. at 12x it is an exact double distance from a center to top of bottom post.
but, most likely this .22lr rifle will never be shot at anything longer than 100yds and up to 100yds this reticle should work perfect with a 25yd zero.

a 50yd zero brings 2nd drop for 90yds, 3rd to 120yds. i guess i'll have to play with it all a bit. but as i envision my kids to be primary consumers of this build - most likely the 25yd will be the primary working distance they will use it at, so it makes more sense to zero it there.

View attachment 455548
How well versed are your kids in using MOA? What ammo are you using?
What are you using for velocity and BC?
Hieght of scope?
Your going to need between 7-12 moa to get to 100 yards depending on ammo/velocity and such.
thats either your 3rd/lower hold point or the bottom post..... Roughly thats on 1050-1100 fps
and my average scope hieght.
Your should run few rounds over a crony helps to figure stuff out on those calculators better
Most scopes the reticle substenion is calculated at Highest magnification. 12x in your case. Pulled this off the website
i wish vortex calculator included their scope info and reticle , Hawke scopes had a great app juzt for that and you could print out cheat sheets that fit in your lens caps or hang from the sling swivel
1614522008634.png

Last edited:
How well versed are your kids in using MOA? What ammo are you using?
What are you using for velocity and BC?
Hieght of scope?
Most scopes the reticle substenion is calculated at Highest magnification. 12x in your case. Pulled this off the website
i wish vortex calculator included their scope info and reticle , Hawke scopes had a great app juzt for that and you could print out cheat sheets that fit in your lens caps or hang from the sling swivel
View attachment 455783
obviously, none, and the whole point is - they do not need to know. :)
the whole point of a fixed second plane setup like this is to have some pre-sets that you know to work at specific distances, so you do not need to calculate anything on the fly. you just zero it in such a way that specific drops are pre-set for specific distance at specific magnification. no need to compute anything.
i am using a basic 'SBC light' app - it has this exact scope/reticle, and calc was done with aquila ammo. based on what it shows - should work ok.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested. I sold one of my Vortex PST Gen 1 scopes today to an NES'r, but I'd sell the other that's mounted on my son's rifle too. It's listed in the classifieds.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested. I sold one of my Vortex PST Gen 1 scopes today to an NES'r, but I'd sell the other that's mounted on my son's rifle too. It's listed in the classifieds.
what are you gonna put on your cz 457 instead of that 6-25x?

obviously, none, and the whole point is - they do not need to know. :)
the whole point of a fixed second plane setup like this is to have some pre-sets that you know to work at specific distances, so you do not need to calculate anything on the fly. you just zero it in such a way that specific drops are pre-set for specific distance at specific magnification. no need to compute anything.
i am using a basic 'SBC light' app - it has this exact scope/reticle, and calc was done with aquila ammo. based on what it shows - should work ok.
Nice
Just switching around MagX and trying to remember what the hash marks hold offs can be can get a little confusing also.
i have different scopes on different rifles for different types of shooting.
its all fun
You should teach your kids about mil and moa if they are willing. My daughter picked it up quickly and i often turn to her for quick info.

Last edited:
Nice
Just switching around MagX and trying to remember what the hash marks hold offs can be can get a little confusing also.
i have different scopes on different rifles for different types of shooting.
its all fun
You should teach your kids about mil and moa if they are willing. My daughter picked it up quickly and i often turn to her for quick info.

StrelokPro is fantastic for checking reticles against your loads. Heck, I even emailed the developer to add the Trijicon German#4 and gave him the dimensions. He replied within a day and had the app updated by the end of the week.

Obviously, nothing beats actual DOPE from your rifle, but it is a great way to estimate until you can get that DOPE.

This is CCI AR tactical 22lr zeroed at 25 yards with a 2.8” height over bore:
0AE67707-6C90-40DB-AD18-E249518BBA92.png

Nice,
I still put up graph paper and see what my reticles actually look like against a known size/distance then I can go from there.
My sightron came with a chart so that was easy

Should get a front bipod adapter and it is ready. 91687951-C8B1-4201-8E33-A9C57D468D76.jpeg
Max relaxed trigger is slightly under 2lb pull. Adjustments are pretty simple. Wood is ok. I like how stock feels.

Replace the trigger spring and get to 1lb or less
I may try that, but, even as it is now it is quite good. Not a bergara lrp good, but, good. It is now about 1.7lb and I was able to tune it down to minimum movement, it is ok. I need to zero it now and run some rounds through it to get a sense of what to do with it next, if anything.

Mossberg is "More Gun For Your Money".

That's as true today, when you can pick them up for under $200, as it was 70 years ago.
I have the 702 plinkster. Picked it up for about $175. Don't regret It one bit. Bought a scope from Walmart for only 30 bucks and I'm ringing small steel targets from over 60 yards out no problem. Could definitely go farther no problem.

I have the 702 plinkster. Picked it up for about $175. Don't regret It one bit. Bought a scope from Walmart for only 30 bucks and I'm ringing small steel targets from over 60 yards out no problem. Could definitely go farther no problem.
If you see what folks are trying to do with 22s like the ruger precision 22
$175 plinkster $30 blister pack scope and .04¢ ammo is just not going to do it.
Shooting a 4-6" steel plate sure thats fun but thats hits on target fun not punching the X
really comes down to what you want out of it.

I like shooting a 513t with Redfield match sights thats pushing 80 yrs old.
Its a full size rifle, 9lbs or so and still can shoot well. Especially when I dig deep into the wallet and get some good ammo.
Its fun enough with CCI sv and stuff like SK standard plus and wolf match target.
I dont bother with anything better unless i practice a lot

Last edited:
Should get a front bipod adapter and it is ready. View attachment 457565
Max relaxed trigger is slightly under 2lb pull. Adjustments are pretty simple. Wood is ok. I like how stock feels.
did this to my 455, very nice

Back
Top Bottom