Best 1911 under $1,000 in MA?

Two times I've seen people literally driven nuts by malfunctioning remingtons at IDPA/USPSA matches. Both had already been back to the factory for service. That speaks volumes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Two times I've seen people literally driven nuts by malfunctioning remingtons at IDPA/USPSA matches. Both had already been back to the factory for service. That speaks volumes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
My R1 didn't even make it to IDPA because it ran so poorly.

As expected I am more confused then when I started. [rofl]

Is there anything I should be looking for when I'm shopping for one? I'm leaning new but always willing to go used in the right situation.
Front and rear checkering on the grips. Compare sights. My Sig came with night sights. Others don't. Quality of the MIM parts. The magazines matter. Grips. Fit and finish. Rail or no? Do you like the looks? Black, stainless, or some flavor of two-tone? Mfg and dealer support.

Last edited:
I consider the Smith & Wesson E-series to be one of the best 1911's available under $1000 in Massachusetts. I wrote about the reasons I recommend the E-series in some detail in this post:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/316457-anouther-what-to-buy-thread?p=5173490#post5173490

The E-series guns are generally thought to be expensive, and three out of the four E-series models are over $1000. But the full size steel frame E-series 1911 without the light rail is well under $1000, and it is a model worth looking at.

I can honestly agree as well about the S&W e-series. Bought mine earlier this year for $799. I shot a friends Ruger 1911. Not bad for the money. Then it was decision between the e-series and the Sig stainless. After holding and shooting both along with a few others, the e-series wins hands down.
Go to any shop and look and hold one. Fire one at the range if you can as well. You'll see what I mean.

How does AO compare to RIA?

They are essentially in the same ballpark, and could have good or bad experiences with either on a given manufacturing run. The AO is made in Worcester MA and those engravings are really what won me over, despite the forgings being kahr stock. While true to WW2 era, the sights take some getting used to compared to modern offerings. Fortunately, the 1911 platform is similar to the AR in that anything and everything can be changed to the shooter's liking.

FWIW, I was exactly where the OP was 5 years ago. I was never a 1911 guy but got the urge and couldn't get it out of my mind. Did a lot of research and choose the Remington in stainless. Paid $699 IIRC. Picked it up Thanksgiving week with 50 rounds of ammo. Then Sandy Hook occurred. No ammo for a while. I have no big experience with other models of 1911's but I've been happy with my choice.Best of luck with your choice. A 1911 is a nice addition to a collection.

I think the RIA 1911's would make a good platform to customize, if one was not keen on building a 1911. I saw a LGS selling them for around $450 for the government and commander model.

Best in quality / features would be the Sig Classic or S&W E series line. Specific model to meet your wants. Best value would be the RIA or Rugers. That said, I'd buy a used Sig or S&W before a new Ruger.

.ps Not sure where you are but Village Sports in Westport has all of these brands (and more0 in stock to compare.

Last edited:
S&W E series if you just want to go to a store and buy. If you want to search around then you are open to other options in your price range.

I paid $450 for a used Springfield Mil-Spec that had some minor work done to it, and it converted me from a 1911 hater. I had disliked every single 1911 I'd shot before that, including an R1.

A Sig will probably be the next single-stack 45ACP 1911 I buy, but a RIA in 10mm might be ahead of that in line. Just be advised that the normal Sig 1911s (the ones that are not part of their Traditional series) have different slide profiles than standard 1911s, so holsters may present an issue.

I would advise getting something that has standard Novak style sights (ie, dovetail cuts milled in to the slide) instead of the GI style fixed sights in case you decide to change them.

If this is rhetorical feel free to call me an idiot and edit this chunk of my post out lol, but why would you guys suggest a STI/SVI in MA, there aren't preban 126/140/170 mags are there?

I just picked up an RIA 2011 in 40SW the other day to use as a Limited rig in USPSA. Haven't shot it yet, but it's a sweet little thing to handle and dry-fire. Had a few mods made, and all of the kinks worked out by the previous owner so I can't speak to their fit/function out of the box.

If this is rhetorical feel free to call me an idiot and edit this chunk of my post out lol, but why would you guys suggest a STI/SVI in MA, there aren't preban 126/140/170 mags are there?

STI and SV make 1911, not just wide body 2011 and there are pre-bans for the 2011, 10 round mags too

Last edited:
I just picked up an RIA 2011 in 40SW the other day to use as a Limited rig in USPSA. Haven't shot it yet, but it's a sweet little thing to handle and dry-fire. Had a few mods made, and all of the kinks worked out by the previous owner so I can't speak to their fit/function out of the box.

Is that Craig P's old gun? Is the front sight still crooked or did he fix it?

This thread definitely delivered. I appreciate the input, I knew my collection couldn't be complete without adding a 1911. Sounds like I have a lot of shopping around and additional research to do. Once I make a decision I will share the new purchase with the group!

Under a grand? Can't help you. Add a hundred or so and get a sS&W E series. They can be had for under $1,200 if you shop around and are flawless in my opinion. I don't know a lot about 1911's but I have an E series and it is very nice.

Another Ruger SR1911 fan here... love it...(wife also LOVES hers too!). Always works, accurate...what's NOT to love!
[smile]

Under a grand? Can't help you. Add a hundred or so and get a sS&W E series. They can be had for under $1,200 if you shop around and are flawless in my opinion. I don't know a lot about 1911's but I have an E series and it is very nice.
What do you mean add a hundred? Or can be had for under $1200. They have them new for under $850. I paid $799 for mine.

Back
Top Bottom