Best 1911 under $1,000 in MA?

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
Thinking my next purchase to add to my collection should be a 1911. I know I want a .45 and I know I want to spend under $1,000. Does anyone have any constructive input? I am currently leaning towards the Ruger 1911 (saw Hickock45's review on the tube), I'm also wondering if there is anything specific to a 1911 I should know about as I begin looking/researching...

Thanks in advance.

Sigs are nice. I have a model TTT, which I believe is since discontinued. Friend of mine just bought a 'Target' model at Cabela's. Both run flawlessly with all manner of ammo.

Most all brands are pretty good. Note that most 1911's have a rounded slide profile. Most Sigs are 'squared off'. Only an issue if you're trying to stuff it into a holster designed for a rounded slide. There are companies who make Sig-specific holsters (Theisholsters.com)

Probably Ruger. RIA if you go cheaper. I had a bad experience with Remington.

Sig any model
RIA tactical FS
Remington R1 enhanced
Ruger SR1911

in that order. ymmv.

As expected I am more confused then when I started. [rofl]

Is there anything I should be looking for when I'm shopping for one? I'm leaning new but always willing to go used in the right situation.

As expected I am more confused then when I started. [rofl]

Is there anything I should be looking for when I'm shopping for one? I'm leaning new but always willing to go used in the right situation.

You should be looking at barrel fit, sear/hammer contact, slide/frame fit. grip and thumb safety blending. Tool marks on the frame and slide

You do realize this is like asking what the best compact car for under 25K is. You are going to get a wide variety of answers. I have a few 1911's and they all run very well. I like my S&W the best but it is in 9MM and you wont get it for under a grand. My second choice is my remington. I have a lot of rounds through it with no issues.

You should be looking at barrel fit, sear/hammer contact, slide/frame fit. grip and thumb safety blending. Tool marks on the frame and slide

All above good to consider. I would add to that quality of the trigger pull. Try a couple different ones at a shop and you will feel the difference.

I'm going to recommend the Remington R1- either the basic 1911 or the enhanced. I've tried most factory brands of 1911's from around $1200 and down- the R1 had the smoothest action and nicest trigger break of anything I tried, excepting maybe a Colt custom shop I had. Just picked up the plain jane one used but pristine from another NESer. It operates smoother than my Delta Elite and might be more accurate- it's at least as good. IMHO, best deal in 1911's and way cheaper than $1K.

Any Sig. Don't bother with any 1911 that doesn't have a checkered front strap unless you're going for a purist look.

All above good to consider. I would add to that quality of the trigger pull. Try a couple different ones at a shop and you will feel the difference.

I'm going to recommend the Remington R1- either the basic 1911 or the enhanced. I've tried most factory brands of 1911's from around $1200 and down- the R1 had the smoothest action and nicest trigger break of anything I tried, excepting maybe a Colt custom shop I had. Just picked up the plain jane one used but pristine from another NESer. It operates smoother than my Delta Elite and might be more accurate- it's at least as good. IMHO, best deal in 1911's and way cheaper than $1K.

gotta agree . i was looking for a new 1911 because i put so much abuse on my nice/can't replace ones . can't stand the s&w scallops and ext extractor . the sigs ???????? . looked at the ruger . wasn't impressed . then finally found an R1 enhanced at collectors . yea i've modded it quite a bit but several thousands of rounds later , couldn't be happier .

I've had great luck with my S&W 1911A1. I had a Greg Derr trigger job on it years ago and he made even better. Not a fan of the billboard logo but it is what it is.

I have a Ruger full size and a Ruger lightweight commander, both sweet shooters. I also have a Smith and it is also a sweet shooter. My favorite is the lightweight. All three are accurate, reliable and have been issue free. All three were 700 or under.

I shot a new Ruger 1911 and was rather disappointed. Fit was kind of loose and the trigger wasn't great. Then again, that's compared to nicer 1911s so maybe my expectations were too high. If your budget was lower, my view on the Ruger would change, but up to $1K gives you better options.

S&W and Sig are probably your best bet for straight out of a gunshop MA approved gun.

I've had great luck with my S&W 1911A1. I had a Greg Derr trigger job on it years ago and he made even better. Not a fan of the billboard logo but it is what it is.

Auto Ordnance is well under a grand - around $650, MA compliant, and with the trigger work left to Mr. Derr you've got a real shooter. I have a Caspian Trik trigger in mine and it's probably my favorite gun to shoot now, despite being the least expensive.

Auto Ordnance is well under a grand - around $650, MA compliant, and with the trigger work left to Mr. Derr you've got a real shooter. I have a Caspian Trik trigger in mine and it's probably my favorite gun to shoot now, despite being the least expensive.
How does AO compare to RIA?

I know I like my RIA better than the Rugers but that's at the $600 price point. I'd be looking at Sig and S&W at $1k.

My next is gonna be an RIA Tactical II model, maybe even in 9MM. They have upgrades beyond their price point, and having handled many, nice triggers, beautiful fit, various finishes...

Looking into Auto Ordnance now. I haven't seen them in the shops I have been at on the South Shore.

Also seen a few people mention a trigger job from Greg Derr... where is he located out of?

Appreciate everyone's opinions!

Back
Top Bottom