Beretta 92 compact. Hard to get?

I'm hoping HK makes a VP9 Compact - i.e. G19 size rather than G26 size, and using USP Compact magazines. Maybe it won't be better than a Glock 19 but it's nice to have alternatives.

There's M&P Compact too, never held one though.

Any VP9 compact will still be too fat and out of contention to compete with a G19 assuming they keep the same grip angle and fundamental magazine dimensions. The grip angle of the platform doesn't lend itself to capacity either, so you'd end up with a 13 round gun maybe at the most. (ignoring MA bullshit for the sake of discussion). Basically, the VP9 Compact won't get there from here- best case, it will be another small, fat gun like a 2000SK or M&P9c, etc. The laughable thing about these guns is their OAL is shorter than a G19 but most of them are still fatter than it is.

-Mike

Any VP9 compact will still be too fat and out of contention to compete with a G19 assuming they keep the same grip angle and fundamental magazine dimensions. The grip angle of the platform doesn't lend itself to capacity either, so you'd end up with a 13 round gun maybe at the most. (ignoring MA bullshit for the sake of discussion). Basically, the VP9 Compact won't get there from here- best case, it will be another small, fat gun like a 2000SK or M&P9c, etc. The laughable thing about these guns is their OAL is shorter than a G19 but most of them are still fatter than it is.

-Mike

Well, that's very subjective, some people think the Glock has the wrong grip angle. I find the G19 feels fat in the grip to me, and don't like the mag release, overall I prefer the feel of the USP Compact 9. I think i've only shot gen 2 Glocks though, should try a gen 3 or 4.

I agree that HK seems fixated on fat subcompacts - the P30sk is their newest gun (well, and the VP40 which is really a VP9 with bigger barrel).

Well, that's very subjective, some people think the Glock has the wrong grip angle..

While this is true that doesn't change the metrics of the gun and what it does, etc. If it don't fit your hand it don't fit your hand.

-Mike

I was at my local gun shop looking at the full size and planning on ordering the compact. One of the factors I had stuck in my mind was a 9 the size of a 1911, thinking somehow a 9 should be smaller. After handling the full size model I thought what was I thinking. The extra cost of the compact couldn't be justified. Compact prices were from $680 to $750. I ended up getting the full sized. Thinking like you Squib I thought the same thing. Barely any smaller, and other comments like not being able to get magazines and accessories for the smaller one, and the deal I got on the full size, it was a no brainer. I've always had a hard on for the 92. When I got it home I played with it for a few hours.....ahem....the pistol, not my gun. I like the looks of the grip, the way the covers trail straight down and the bottom curves out on the full size. Almost makes the compact cut off. Picked up the model without the rail which is more like the m9a in the military. The full size is just a better looking piece overall. Anyways thanks everyone for the help. I'll post up a pic when I get a chance.

Congrats.
get yourself a D spring. Best $6 that can be spent on a beretta. Very easy to swap. Makes the DA pull 100x better. The stock mainspring is something stupid like 16#.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prings/hammer-spring-d-version-prod27930.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

At risk of derailing the thread, what is out there in the category of compacts: Glock 19, Kahr P9, USP compact,etc? I find this category fits me better than the sub compacts, but don't seem to be a lot of choices.

IMO the problem w "compact" model is it means almost nothing. Some compacts are huge...others small. With fullsize and subcompact theres some clear expectations, but compact could mean anytjing. The beretta 92 compact is good example. Persinally i habe no use for compacts. I like to go either full size or as small as possible.

Thanks Squib. I plan on getting the D spring. Also the steel slide rod. Probably walnut grips too.

5b1e92fec1267ea153919287a1710ac8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO the plastic guide rods work fine. If you intend to shoot hot 9mm loads the wilson combat shok buff is a nice addition. Keeps the slide from slamming into the frame. I run them in every 92 but honestly theyre more important for a 96 model running .40S&W

Back
Top Bottom