beginner 3 gun type of competition

mac1911

NES Member
Where in massachusetts do they hold the 3 gun competitions that are beginner friendly. A few years ago I tried the IDPA shoots. The few I went to, not to beginner friendly. Then I got hooked on trap shooting. Now I would like to try a more defense/tactical type of format ?

I'm not too sure if 'competition' and 'beginner' belong together. I the warmer months, some club have 3-gun practices in prep for matches. It's a great way to start practical/tactical shooting. I don't have experience with IDPA because personally I like USPSA/IPSC. Lots of clubs offer it and they are generally very friendly to new shooters. Check out http://www.uspsa7.org

On the flip side, if you are looking for real training, Front Sight outside of Vegas is the place to go.

I would just like to find something above punching holes in a piece of paper. Something with a competing factor but at a friendly get you into it atmosphere. Not looking to win anything, if I do thats great. Been shooting trap and CMP just would like a different level

I'm not too sure if 'competition' and 'beginner' belong together. I the warmer months, some club have 3-gun practices in prep for matches. It's a great way to start practical/tactical shooting. I don't have experience with IDPA because personally I like USPSA/IPSC. Lots of clubs offer it and they are generally very friendly to new shooters. Check out http://www.uspsa7.org

On the flip side, if you are looking for real training, Front Sight outside of Vegas is the place to go.

Yup, they sure do, at least in my opinion. When I was a newbie and shooting in 2700's, it was at first discouraging. But, sought out the good shooters and asked for advice. Took what they said to heart and practiced accordingly. Grin, this "new shooter" started winning, class by class. Many moons ago, but I think the same holds true...up to the individual. Want to get better and win? Practice, compete, ask, and learn.

There aren't too many 3 gun matches around here to begin with. The matches can't be simple, or they won't draw shooters. As a beginner in such things, don't be too intimidated, you'll do better than you expect. Ask for assistance as Ray-500 mentioned.
That being said, Harvard runs at least a rifle match anually, and sometimes 3 gun. Pelham IDPA shooters run a couple carbine matches and sometimes a 3 gun, I think. Pioneer Sportsman's has run a 3 gun last fall.
Hope this helps.

Couple things:

Pelham NH Runs a couple three gun matches a year. See Paul when you get there, tell him you are new and he will make sure you have a good time. he is a very good representative of the shooting sports.

next: Pioneer also runs a couple three gun matches. At check in tell them you are new. They will help you also.

For IDPA, if you want to learn, send me an e mail. we will find a club in between us both and I will shoot with you and help you as much as I can until you are comfortable.

My best advice is to get the handgun you want to use and get 5 mags for it or if a revolver, 8 speed loaders or moon clips and 200 rounds of ammo and meet me at Independent Sportsmen in Foxboro on 01-24-09 ready to shoot. We will have fun. This is a great crew and they welcome new shooters. If you are not comfortable going from a holster, you start at low ready. it is a USPSA style match.

e mail me. Don't plan to show up and watch, show up and shoot but dress warm they shoot outside [wink]

E mail is in my profile

Edit to add, there have been many changes at the club mentioned by Matt to the point I have not shot on their outdoor range since August and may never again.

Last edited:
Round_Gun_Shooter speaks wisely...

come down to Independent on the 24th, dressed warm and ready with the suggested equipment/ supplies. Show up around 8:15 to 8:30 and identify yourself as a new shooter to RGS or any of us setting up. We are an easy-going group, and are always welcoming new folks.

We shoot mostly USPSA-style stages, but you'll have fun and learn a lot.

One thing he forgot to mention is you'll need a 9mm/ .38 special as a minimum caliber....

Hope to see you there.

Round_Gun_Shooter speaks wisely...

come down to Independent on the 24th, dressed warm and ready with the suggested equipment/ supplies. Show up around 8:15 to 8:30 and identify yourself as a new shooter to RGS or any of us setting up. We are an easy-going group, and are always welcoming new folks.

We shoot mostly USPSA-style stages, but you'll have fun and learn a lot.

One thing he forgot to mention is you'll need a 9mm/ .38 special as a minimum caliber....

Hope to see you there.

It's funny, you make an offer like this and never hear from the OP. Guess the interest just isn't there.[rolleyes]

Pelham and Pioneer both do a great job and each are good for beginners. I shot a 3 gun at each this year and would definitely recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom