Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

I reloaded a shitload of ammo for several years, and in the process of getting rid of my ex, had to sell my 550B to make that happen. The ammo factory is almost fully back into play, though...
A truly dedicated reloader would have somehow managed to keep the 550B. [laugh] Reloading equipment actually saves you money, right? ... or so I have heard. [grin]

Just kidding. I, too, know the financial realities of divorce (even better than most). If reloading works best for you, I say go for it. [thumbsup]

With all seriousness, if you learn how to reload you can crank out a few thousand rounds in a weekend no problem. It’ll also be better ammo than the door buster stuff you can buy “cheap” from the mail order places. It’s a bit of work but really not that difficult and it’s sort of cathartic to work through the steps of the process.

With all seriousness, if you learn how to reload you can crank out a few thousand rounds in a weekend no problem. It’ll also be better ammo than the door buster stuff you can buy “cheap” from the mail order places. It’s a bit of work but really not that difficult and it’s sort of cathartic to work through the steps of the process.

"cathartic" is a good word. I like reloading. I don't save a lot of money loading 9mm, but the process is peaceful. I sit in the garage, play music on the computer that's out there, and crank out rounds. It's also reassuring knowing that I have ammo on hand and that I have components to make more.

I shot a USPSA match this weekend at my local club. I ran two guns, production and Carry Optic - still trying to figure out which I suck at least before GA state IDPA and GA state USPSA. I loaded 50 mags the night before. (20) 10 rounds, (15) 11 rounds and (15) 17 rounds. All with ammo I loaded, (4.0 grn of Titegroup under 124 grn plated 9mm bullets). I had zero issues with ammo, (missed some shots - but that's my issue, not the ammo).

I was running a shooter when his gun went POP instead of BANG. I yelled "STOP", he did. Explicitly told him to drop the mag, then rack the slide. Round popped out and the primer had ignited, but the powder hadn't lit. Double checked his barrel, because OCD. Told him that we'd run him again in a few shooters, go top off his mags.

Talked to him later, he was running remanufactured loads, that is, reloads built by a company, not himself. When he told me that he'd had 3 do the same thing out of the 500 he'd bought, I suggested that he either buy factory new or start reloading.

I've got two boxes of Freedom Munitions 124 grn sitting on my shelf. I'll eventually shoot them at the range in a practice session - but I won't run them in a match. I'm not saying they're worse than any other reloader - but if I'm going to run reloads in a match - I'll run my own - and I do.

I reloaded a shitload of ammo for several years, and in the process of getting rid of my ex, had to sell my 550B to nake that happen. The ammo factory is almost fully back into play, though...

I gave up a house, a truck and a motorcycle in a divorce. If I'd had reloading equipment at the time - I probably would have lost some of that too.

It's the fcking you get for the fcking you got.

I gave up a house, a truck and a motorcycle in a divorce. If I'd had reloading equipment at the time - I probably would have lost some of that too.

It's the fcking you get for the fcking you got.
I gave up the house, a car, and pay child support but I made sure the divorce agreement included all my guns, ammo, reloading equipment and big screen TV lol.

I gave up a house, a truck and a motorcycle in a divorce. If I'd had reloading equipment at the time - I probably would have lost some of that too. It's the fcking you get for the fcking you got.
I gave up the house, a car, and pay child support but I made sure the divorce agreement included all my guns, ammo, reloading equipment and big screen TV lol.
Man, you guys got off easy compared to me. At my advanced age (remember, older than JACK!), I'm still paying for my big mistake. [crying]

I'm rather surprised to hear this discussion, OP. Is it not 2020? Are we not in massachusetts? The state government shut down gun stores by fiat for what, a month or two? They could certainly do it again. There are other ways to acquire ammo, but the state frowns upon them so some of us might not be familiar with all the ways.

This means that whenever they want, they can deny you your ability to use guns. Unless of course you already own guns and enough ammo to make them useful. Why would you choose to give Maura such power over your own personal protection? Not to mention as others have pointed out that there are frequent shortages. We all could have seen a shortage coming with the state of politics and the upcoming election. In fact that's why I bought a two year supply of 5.56 in 2019 - the writing was on the wall. I certainly didn't deny anyone their ammo way back in the before times!

Though I did order another 1000 rounds in early March after I realized this would be an issue. Though, since I saw quite a bit of ammo on the shelf in April, I don't think I denied you the ammo you needed then either.

Yeah, been there, done that. Gave it up 40 years ago. Still have the press and all, but zero interest in spending my dwindling free time reloading.

Sounds like the OP hasn't bothered planning ahead at all given what's going on in the world. And is a bit pissed now that his life will be more difficult because of it.

I'm low on subsonic 300AAC and 9mm. I don't blame others for buying it up. I blame myself for not thinking ahead.

ETA: Anyone got a source on the aforementioned ammo. ;)

If the Commonwealth pulls that shit again, they will be forthwith hauled before the federal judge who ordered them reopened. In other words, *NOT* likely to happen.
Do you refer to the one semi-conservative judge in Boston? The one who's on senior status, that is, semi-retired already? You have a lot of faith that judges like him will always be around because they are being produced by the colleges of today.

A truly dedicated reloader would have somehow managed to keep the 550B. [laugh] Reloading equipment actually saves you money, right? ... or so I have heard. [grin]

Just kidding. I, too, know the financial realities of divorce (even better than most). If reloading works best for you, I say go for it. [thumbsup]
The difference was at the time i was running out of guns and the 550 is one of the few things i had where i could get back 85%+ of its value.

No divorce, (thank god, didn't marry) but it still turned into a $50,000 experiment.

It is also somewhat therapeutic. For me anyway.

The difference was at the time i was running out of guns and the 550 is one of the few things i had where i could get back 85%+ of its value.

No divorce, (thank god, didn't marry) but it still turned into a $50,000 experiment.
You got off easy, it took me 10 years to finish paying what was "my share" (a.k.a. all of it) after my divorce, and that doesn't include child support (didn't mind paying that). I'll never be in good financial shape, not enough time left, but I don't owe anyone anything.

Good judgement comes from experience.

Experience comes from bad judgement.

;)

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.
Boo-Hoo

I'm surprised they don't push, or at least mention revolver proficiency.

90% of all the wheelguns made in the past 15 years fire multiple cartridges.
I think those chambered for .327 fed mag ones shoot either 4 or 5 of the .32 cal.

Well, maybe it should be easier, but I remember well my main reloading buddy screaming like a madman and talking nothing but primer and powder shortages and high prices post-Newtown. Truthfully, I didn't see much difference between his problems and mine. [laugh] Only difference is that I haunted Walmart and he haunted wherever reloaders go when shortages develop. [cheers]
During obamascare 1 the primers only disappeared for a couple months. Then you basically would find places that were willing to at least sell you 1000 at a time per week or something....

You're just saying all this now, 4 months after things were bad enough that everything had to be shut down? I bought a f***ing freezer chest in January because the writing was already on the wall then. Hell, the Optics Planet orders I placed at the beginning of this are even finally getting ready to ship.
Optics planet sucks.... I wouldn’t use them as a measure of anything they could take two months to send you something before corona land... I won’t give those f***ers a dime because they’re just so painful to deal with.

Optics planet sucks.... I wouldn’t use them as a measure of anything they could take two months to send you something before corona land... I won’t give those f***ers a dime because they’re just so painful to deal with.

I was just using them in the example sarcastically, but in actuality they did just ship an order that I placed about 6 weeks ago, when the manufacturer itself (directly) was quoting 6+ weeks' lead time. Comms were horrible, and I spent the last 6 weeks not really expecting it to happen, but to their credit they came through, and saved me maybe $300 over everyone else (on a ~$1200 item).

Looking at my order history with them is funny. On a page full of historical orders 75% of them were cancelled before they were fulfilled (mostly by me in frustration).

Time travel.
Or buy something made in the last 150 yrs.
Attach a bayonet to it.
Make a lamp out of it.

Your options are limited only by your imagination.

First, that gun is only 140 years old, so nyah nyah

And a bayonet would be bigger than the gun itself. It makes derringers look massive.

Other than a few hundred Glocks I printed on the 3d, I think my "newest" pistol is 20y old or so. I have a couple of newer rifles, though.

I like old guns.

First, that gun is only 140 years old, so nyah nyah

And a bayonet would be bigger than the gun itself. It makes derringers look massive.

Other than a few hundred Glocks I printed on the 3d, I think my "newest" pistol is 20y old or so. I have a couple of newer rifles, though.

I like old guns.

See, thats where you're limiting yourself.
Think of it as a bayonet that shoots .32 r.f.

Where in the HELL am I supposed to 4k rounds of .32 rim fire extra short and 4k rounds of 6mm Flobert?!

You can still tote your pepperbox.

You can still tote your pepperbox.

The pepperbox is black powder, though. All of these would wicked sting if you were shot with one, but they might be a little impractical for daily carry...

39-pepperbox-1.jpg 38-chicago-1.jpg 40-100_1743.JPG

Back
Top Bottom