• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.

Not sure if serious- most of the ammo drought is not caused by people buying shitloads of ammo, it's caused by the fact that there are a million new gun owners (maybe twice that? forget the
stat, but we are looking at all time sales records this year) in america today vs February. Ponder that for more than 10 seconds and it makes more sense. Even if those people only bought a
few boxes doesn't take much to see how it can clean the channel out.

Also, it's really just a reminder that you need to stay ahead of the curve. This crap has only happened, like THREE times in the past decade or so. And it will keep happening.

As a general rule you should have a years worth of ammo in reserve at any one given time. If you use a rolling replenishment strategy, you generally won't get caught short, and it gives you the
freedom to opt out of high prices for a year or so. .

Also your instructor is way off. everyone's needs are different, a johnny/jane one box type might be fine with 2k on hand, but the rest of us have to look at how much we use annually on a good
year, and come up with numbers that float around that. Mine is in the 6-10K range for 9mm and probably lower for other stuff.

The ABSOLUTE worst thing about this entire thread, is that the OP joined this message board in 2007.

Yes, so basically they have been through all 3 major ammo droughts and still haven't learned the lesson.

Hell I still even have .22 LR from before Obamascare 1 in inventory.... [rofl] I think a few boxes of tulammo 9mm, too.

Yes, so basically they have been through all 3 major ammo droughts and still haven't learned the lesson.

Hell I still even have .22 LR from before Obamascare 1 in inventory.... [rofl] I think a few boxes of tulammo 9mm, too.

I learned my lesson after Sandy Hook.
Honestly, I have no idea what 5.56, 9mm is going for right now, I may pop in to one of these "I can't find any ammo" threads just to find out.

Honestly, I have no idea what 5.56, 9mm is going for right now, I may pop in to one of these "I can't find any ammo" threads just to find out.

The sands are constantly shifting. Street on 9mm is about .30 CPR but it can go down to .26 CPR or less if you're lucky or willing to slum for
steel cased stuff when it can be found. 5.56 is .40-.60 CPR depending on source etc. It's dried up in a lot of places.

I can beat that. In my MA house I had ammo in 3 different locations, so I didn't have a good handle on exactly what I had. When I moved all my ammo to my NH house, I found .22LR ammo that I had bought when I was shooting bullseye back in the 1970s, also .380ACP that I had loaded back then as well (I used to practice with my PPK/s weekly with that stuff). Everything is and was in sealed ammo cans, so no big deal. I bought ammo when it was on sale (Four Seasons), TSA for SV .22LR when my Wife and I were burning ~400 rds/range trip, etc. Other than 1 brick of subsonic .22LR I picked up at Shooters Outpost II, I don't think that I've bought any other ammo in at least 3 years. Of course, house-hunting in NH, back surgery and moving means that I rarely went shooting over the past 3 years too.

I sold a case of .223 during Sandy Hook for $600 and the guy was happy to but it. Insane. Its not that high yet but wait a couple more months.

I'll be padding my reloading supplies more well before Nov.

That instructor is retarded. 4000 rounds of every caliber you own, let's do the math. 4000 rounds of 458 Lott @ 7.39 per round = $29,560, nah. Yes its a dumb example but do you see why what the instructor said is moronic.
Any instructor /person that casts a blanket over everyone and tells people what they need is a moron.

Reminds of that video of the guy saying you had to pull the trigger and shoot the ground while drawing the gun and then shot his leg.

I sold a case of .223 during Sandy Hook for $600 and the guy was happy to but it. Insane. Its not that high yet but wait a couple more months.

I'll be padding my reloading supplies more well before Nov.
Better buy fast. A supplier Emailed me about large pistol primers being in stock in the morning. By the afternoon they were gone.

Large pistol primers, their demand is not nearly as high as small rifle and small pistol.

It is insane.

Any instructor /person that casts a blanket over everyone and tells people what they need is a moron.

Reminds of that video of the guy saying you had to pull the trigger and shoot the ground while drawing the gun and then shot his leg.

Lol which one was that? The main leg ND video I saw with "tex" was he just f***ed up his draw and put his finger on the trigger too fast, and NDed into his leg.

The guy who "walked up the bullets" was the guy from cold steel who used to cut ham hocks on video wtih katanas. He released a couple of shooting videos where he
would "walk bullets into the target" that went viral, then were taken down. [rofl] He didn't shoot himself, though.

If there's another ND video I'm missing, I want to know what it is. This has meme potential all over it... [rofl]

Lol which one was that? The main leg ND video I saw with "tex" was he just f***ed up his draw and put his finger on the trigger too fast, and NDed into his leg.

The guy who "walked up the bullets" was the guy from cold steel who used to cut ham hocks on video wtih katanas. He released a couple of shooting videos where he
would "walk bullets into the target" that went viral, then were taken down. [rofl] He didn't shoot himself, though.

If there's another ND video I'm missing, I want to know what it is. This has meme potential all over it... [rofl]
Ok, maybe I am confusing both videos.

Still, "walking" the bullets has to be by far one of the most retarded videos I have seen.

Better buy fast. A supplier Emailed me about large pistol primers being in stock in the morning. By the afternoon they were gone.

Large pistol primers, their demand is not nearly as high as small rifle and small pistol.

It is insane.

I remember during one of the Obamascares, Large rifle primers were the only thing easy to find. Even some Win 209 type shotgun primers were
hard to come by at times, too.

I'm always thinking....whoever kills me and takes over my compound is going to be one "set" SOB. [laugh]
See? This is my problem as voiced in the ongoing apocalypse/gold thread. You amass a ton of gold for the apocalypse and then someone comes along with one 25¢ bullet. Now he owns all the gold. [rockon]

Better buy fast. A supplier Emailed me about large pistol primers being in stock in the morning. By the afternoon they were gone. Large pistol primers, their demand is not nearly as high as small rifle and small pistol. It is insane.
In the bad times, non-reloaders chase ammo. Reloaders chase primers (or other components). Basically, the same deal. No one escapes the shortages and high prices unless they have planned ahead and bought during the good times. [thumbsup]

In the bad times, non-reloaders chase ammo. Reloaders chase primers (or other components). Basically, the same deal. No one escapes the shortages and high prices unless they have planned ahead and bought during the good times. [thumbsup]

Except as a reloader, its easier to stay ahead of the curve because mats cost less than the same # of rounds of loaded ammunition. And you have sunk costs in reusable stuff like brass that, once you hit a certain point of it, you don't have to think about much.

See? This is my problem as voiced in the ongoing apocalypse/gold thread. You amass a ton of gold for the apocalypse and then someone comes along with one 25¢ bullet. Now he owns all the gold. [rockon]

You don't make it that easy to find.

Which is the whole idea about being PREpared. [thumbsup]

Except as a reloader, its easier to stay ahead of the curve because mats cost less than the same # of rounds of loaded ammunition. And you have sunk costs in reusable stuff like brass that, once you hit a certain point of it, you don't have to think about much.
Well, maybe it should be easier, but I remember well my main reloading buddy screaming like a madman and talking nothing but primer and powder shortages and high prices post-Newtown. Truthfully, I didn't see much difference between his problems and mine. [laugh] Only difference is that I haunted Walmart and he haunted wherever reloaders go when shortages develop. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom