• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bear Season, Got One

Buya, me and my two buddies got this 174 lb male in a cornfield we had surrounded for several hours.

bearhunt16.jpg

PS, the ice cream was for us, it was ridiculously hot that day. We figured he might wants some too, but he declined.

No bait, that is illegal. He took 3 shots of 30-06, but that was probably not really necessary. Two were in a nice group in the lungs, then a coup-de-gras in the neck because it was still moving a bit. I bet one shot would have done it, but guy had shot one before years ago, it fell, then got it up and ran off, so he took no chances.

This was out in western MA right near a cornfield we staked out.

I think you should have spent the extra change and gotten the bear one to put in his right paw haha. I mean, didn't the camera person want one? Nice one regardless.

Nice Bear

Nice Bear

I have been thinking about going Bear hunting here in Maine.

What do they taste like?

Have never hunted Bear but I hear they like Donuts.

The season opened last week.

Anyone want to go?

Bring Donuts. Lots of Donuts

Capt Walt

BearHunt-X.gif

Last edited:
No bait, that is illegal. He took 3 shots of 30-06, but that was probably not really necessary. Two were in a nice group in the lungs, then a coup-de-gras in the neck because it was still moving a bit. I bet one shot would have done it, but guy had shot one before years ago, it fell, then got it up and ran off, so he took no chances.

Pretty impressive to see a hunter who doesn't need a guide to hold his hand to get the job done. My hat is off to a real hunter. [cheers]

What ammos did you shoot, 165gr or 180gr?

Nice work. I was hoping you were going to say all three of you put a shot in him...

I had some meat last week from a black taken in Canada. It was actually really good. Cooked like a pot roast (in small pieces) in a tin baking pan with potatoes and vegetables. And seasoned like crazy. Every other time I've had it it was terrible.

How big is 174lbs? Trying to get a gauge as I have no idea. For example, how big is a really big one around here (e.g. 250lb buck)?

Average bear size in MA is like 110 lbs according to wildlife numbers. But, someone did get a 330 lb bear near that area a few days before we got this one. Now that would be a HUGE bear for the area.

I am pretty sure they were 165gr bullets. I was using 180gr SilverTips myself, but we also had 165gr Winchester Supreme ballistic tips

Bear HUnting

Did you sell the Bears Gall Bladder? I hear all kinds of stories about how the Japs will pay big bucks for them but have not been able to find any buyers.

What about Moose guts? Is there a market for them?

bear.jpg

If you can possibly find the time and have the inclination, it would be great to hear your hunting story from starting out to packing the bruin away. I’ve only hunted once in my life but find most every story of the hunt very engrossing. Nice hunt dvajda, do you have any more photos?

You gut a lot of Gall?

[rolleyes] So???

What doe the rolly eyes mean? Do you know any buyers?

How about buyers for those other innards from An-a-mules?

Mountain Oyesters? etc...

The Moose tail and Buck tails are going into the fly tying kit.

For our Maine friends:

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/pdf/hunting_trapping2007.pdf

Page 14:

OTHER LICENSES (available at the Augusta
Offi ce only): For detailed information on the
following licenses, contact the Department at
(207) 287-3614.
• HIDE DEALERS LICENSE: Required for
anyone who commercially buys, sells or
barters any raw, untanned wild animal hide,
head, or gall bladder from any bear.

Back