• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BBC with Kurdish troops caught in ISIS gunbattle

[h=1]Extended footage shows BBC caught in ISIS gunbattle[/h] 1 hour ago
The assault by Sunni militants ISIS in Iraq has seen fierce fighting between the Islamists and government forces.
The BBC's Paul Wood was reporting on Kurdish troops in Jalula when the group he was with came under fire from ISIS fighters.
During the battle a Kurdish soldier was shot in the leg, but survived the injury.
This extended footage shows how the gunbattle unfolded and Paul Wood's lucky escape.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27937868

I know it must be the only weapon he may have been able to get but, I would not what an AK with no stock and only a pistol grip. Better than not having anything I guess.

I know it must be the only weapon he may have been able to get but, I would not what an AK with no stock and only a pistol grip. Better than not having anything I guess.

I've spent quite a bit of time with Iraqi miltary and from what I've seen having a but stock or not won't matter.....or help them at all. You can train those guys "site alignment, breath control, trigger squeeze" till your blue in the face......but they always revert to "spray and pray" when the shit hits the fan. I have a few friends that were on embedded training teams with them and they all say the same. US Soldiers will take cover.......apply suppressive fire while another element maneuvers....all while applying the fundamentals of marksmanship for the most part. These guys just don't get it.

I've spent quite a bit of time with Iraqi miltary and from what I've seen having a but stock or not won't matter.....or help them at all. You can train those guys "site alignment, breath control, trigger squeeze" till your blue in the face......but they always revert to "spray and pray" when the shit hits the fan. I have a few friends that were on embedded training teams with them and they all say the same. US Soldiers will take cover.......apply suppressive fire while another element maneuvers....all while applying the fundamentals of marksmanship for the most part. These guys just don't get it.

This is what my wifes brother has said. He's been twice and comes back with the same story about the Iraqi soldiers every time. He does have a hilarious story about an ambush and an Iraqi soldier doing the spray and pray then ducking behind cover with him and saying in broken english:"We gonna die Yo!" He had never laughed while being shot at before, but he can cross that off his bucket list now.

If I had to be there again I'd want to be with the Kurds. They were pretty squared away, disciplined, and didn't take no shit.
We cleaned up Baqubah and now its being overrun again. Oh well.

Excellent spray and pray footage starting at around 2:20. Do both sides have some unwritten agreement not to actually hit each other, or are they just beyond hope?

Bulletproof glass at 1:25.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent spray and pray footage starting at around 2:20. Do both sides have some unwritten agreement not to actually hit each other, or are they just beyond hope?

Bulletproof glass at 1:25.

are you saying they would fit in at a car shoot? (from what I've heard)

Last edited by a moderator:
I should'nt criticize as I've never been in combat, but WTF is this? run from wall to wall take turns spraying AKs all over the place, stop have a big discussion about what to do next when everyone agrees run to the next spot start spraying again. Trade off on the who gets to shoot the big "BAR" pose like Rambo shooting from the hip

did you ever see anyone go prone, send out a flanking party, deploy a scout to direct fire. One guy was shooting what looked to be garand (but I doubt thats what it was) in white collar shirt sleeves left handed that was odd.

If I had to be there again I'd want to be with the Kurds. They were pretty squared away, disciplined, and didn't take no shit.
I spent some time with the Peshmerga in 05and 07. They are by far the best that country has to offer. They can fight, and theres a lot less spray and pray with them

I spent some time with the Peshmerga in 05and 07. They are by far the best that country has to offer. They can fight, and theres a lot less spray and pray with them

I was there in 06. Spent some time a little West of Sulaymaniyah with them.

Yeah I've heard the stories that the Kurds know what they are doing. I never went north of Tikrit. Spent time in Baghdad and Tikrit on both my deployments and the Iraqi "soldiers" that hail from the suni triangle are not.....shall I say.........very bright.

Helmets? Wouldve never ventured out into that mess without that and my vest. Never understood why a lot of the Iraqi soldiers think body armor and helmets are not manly. Maybe when youre holding your buddies brains from falling out of his head theyll see the reason.

Sent from the blind

Back
Top Bottom