Bayonet M1 for Garand - regrind?

OCB

So I bought an M1 bayonet from the CMP recently. It arrived a week ago, and it was in decent shape overall - no major rust or pitting, locking mechanism was in good order, and the handle pieces were intact and in good shape. I'm guessing it was used for training, as the edges are essentially flat. Additionally, about 0.125" of the tip was broken off at some point during it's life, which is kind of a bummer.
I'm thinking about sending the bayo to a competent knife smith to have the tip/point reshaped and the edges reground and sharpened.

Anybody done this with their bayo? Thoughts or suggestions?

I've had a few poorly conditioned bayonets sent to me from the CMP. I contacted their Customer Service people and they sent me a replacement both times, no questions asked. They were great.

Yeah they aren't supposed to be sharp like a knife. But the CMP will definitely make things right if the tip is broken off.

That's interesting - the M5 bayonet I got from the CMP a few years ago was actually pretty sharp. The description of the bayonets are "used, but serviceable", and i just figured you got what you got. I'll reach out to CMP and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.

I know it sounds strange that bayonets aren't typically sharp but that's when you can do "maximum damage"

Ever try to cut a tomato or a loaf of bread with a dull knife? Now imagine that but with the people they were intended for sticking [wink]

Back
Top Bottom