Basic Pistol Powerpoint

I put together this Powerpoint/keynote for the NRA Basic Pistol class. Thought I'd post some example pictures and get some feedback if you guys would be so kind.[smile]

Page-01.jpg

Page-02.jpg

Page-03.jpg

much more aesthetically pleasing than 99% of the powerpoints I am forced to look at on a regular basis, especially the one from my Home Safety Course...

I agree the the previous posters though about changing the font on the titles.

I like it.

I have on my agenda to put something together....what you have done is something to aspire to.

I don't mind the title font. I would guess it's much more legible when projected.

You have a great design. I am an NRA Instructor and was wondering if you would be willing to share your power point presentation? I am a very visual person and think your slides say it just right.

Thanks,
Fred
[email protected]

I've had a number of requests lately for the PPT. I have never given it away (I don't want to seem greedy here) but I can get it to you with the associated TTFs if you want to send me a measly $5 to my paypal account ([email protected]). It took quite a bit of time so I hope you guys understand...plus I need to get some cash into my 30-40 Krag ammo savings bucket.

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Honestly, don't use PowerPoint. Really, I'm serious. It will not enhance your class, it will worsen it. PowerPoint tends to make people dumb complicated things down to a few bullet points, and to read their slides. People read the PowerPoint instead of listening to you.

I know you put a lot of work into this and it would be hard to walk away from it, but you should.

I was recently at a company offsite meeting. We spent 6+ hours each day listening to research talks. One fellow's presentation was concerning the cancer resistance to chemotherapy agents. He used no slides. Not a one. And his was, by far, the very best talk out of about 30.

I've taught Basic Pistol. You don't need PowerPoints and they won't help.

I love the contrast and the slides aren't busy. The photo of the semi auto grip is not what the NRA Basic Pistol Course teaches and the isocoles position photo has the feet much farther apart than "shoulder width" and the shoulders appear back rather than straight or even fprward. Not big on Weaver stance especially for new shooters. Dump the old world font. The fundementals you list is the old lesson plan. Get the new one as it matches better to the new text that you are providing your students. Really love the 3 A's slides! I can imagine the you put into the slide show.......very visually appealing to me.

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Honestly, don't use PowerPoint. Really, I'm serious. It will not enhance your class, it will worsen it. PowerPoint tends to make people dumb complicated things down to a few bullet points, and to read their slides. People read the PowerPoint instead of listening to you.

I know you put a lot of work into this and it would be hard to walk away from it, but you should.

I was recently at a company offsite meeting. We spent 6+ hours each day listening to research talks. One fellow's presentation was concerning the cancer resistance to chemotherapy agents. He used no slides. Not a one. And his was, by far, the very best talk out of about 30.

I've taught Basic Pistol. You don't need PowerPoints and they won't help.

I agree with this completely. Do hand outs so people have something to "take away" and read later or make notes on but don't talk to your powerpoints--talk to your audience.

It's probably beyond the basic course but if you want to use technology the action cutaways are great tools:

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

About half of my job is education of sorts. I agree that powerpoint slides can be a useful tool, or a detractor, depending on the content of the slides.

You never want the students to be reading slides, but they can help with cadence and to reinforce a concept that you are articulating.

For the record, I like the slides in the op, but the nra ones are horrible.

Good work to the op.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sorry boys, I don't mean to be argumentative, but...

saying that powerpoints are a bad way to teach is EXACTLY the same thing as saying that guns are evil and kill people

I've taught NRA basic pistol. I've taught technical training classes. I've given presentations at trade shows with PowerPoint. So I have experience that has formed my opinion.

And in my opinion, PowerPoint does not help in this type of class. You can feel free to disagree, but your analogy is way off.

I've taught NRA basic pistol. I've taught technical training classes. I've given presentations at trade shows with PowerPoint. So I have experience that has formed my opinion.

And in my opinion, PowerPoint does not help in this type of class. You can feel free to disagree, but your analogy is way off.

My analogy is way off ONLY for someone in denial about what is a teaching tool and what is not.
Again, no offense intended. PP is a tool and guns are a tool. Same difference.

My analogy is way off ONLY for someone in denial about what is a teaching tool and what is not.
Again, no offense intended. PP is a tool and guns are a tool. Same difference.
Yes, it is a tool. But the medium does affect your message.

Edward Tufte, the noted author, has written:

Alas, slideware often reduces the analytical quality of presentations. In particular, the popular PowerPoint templates (ready-made designs) usually weaken verbal and spatial reasoning, and almost always corrupt statistical analysis.

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_pp

“PowerPoint makes us stupid,” Gen. James N. Mattis of the Marine Corps, the Joint Forces commander, said this month at a military conference in North Carolina. (He spoke without PowerPoint.) Brig. Gen. H. R. McMaster, who banned PowerPoint presentations when he led the successful effort to secure the northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar in 2005, followed up at the same conference by likening PowerPoint to an internal threat.

“It’s dangerous because it can create the illusion of understanding and the illusion of control,” General McMaster said in a telephone interview afterward. “Some problems in the world are not bullet-izable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/world/27powerpoint.html

Are there types of presentations where PowerPoint really helps? Yes. But, in my opinion, based on my experience as an instructor, Basic Pistol isn't one of them.

For the OP, ask yourself this: what are you trying to achieve with the PowerPoint? Will your presentation be better with their attention divided between you and the slideware? Or will it be better if their attention is directly focused on you? What can you present better with a picture in PowerPoint than with a gun (or replica gun) in your hand?

Finally, some people use PowerPoint as basically their notes to talk from. The problem is that this almost inevitably results in them reading their slides. Old school 3x5 cards work better. Don't put sentences on your cards -- just a brief phrase to remind you of the topic you need to discuss.

Last edited:
I do have to disagree with almost every point you've made; PP can be useful when used right.

Finally, some people use PowerPoint as basically their notes to talk from. The problem is that this almost inevitably results in them reading their slides. Old school 3x5 cards work better. Don't put sentences on your cards -- just a brief phrase to remind you of the topic you need to discuss.

THIS is what the biggest problem is; so big that there's a not-too-flattering name for it. Death by PowerPoint.

I do have to disagree with almost every point you've made; PP can be useful when used right.

THIS is what the biggest problem is; so big that there's a not-too-flattering name for it. Death by PowerPoint.

Isn't that what speaker notes are for?

Blame the user, not the tool.

Yes, it is a tool. But the medium does affect your message.

Edward Tufte, the noted author, has written:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_pp

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/world/27powerpoint.html

Are there types of presentations where PowerPoint really helps? Yes. But, in my opinion, based on my experience as an instructor, Basic Pistol isn't one of them.

For the OP, ask yourself this: what are you trying to achieve with the PowerPoint? Will your presentation be better with their attention divided between you and the slideware? Or will it be better if their attention is directly focused on you? What can you present better with a picture in PowerPoint than with a gun (or replica gun) in your hand?

As someone who does adult education as a career, who has earned certifications in training design and who has delivered thousands of hours of training, I disagree with you on almost every count.

1) Yes PP can be over-used and used incorrectly and when it is, it DETRACTS from the experience. But the OP's slides weren't bad at all. The font wasn't that bad either.

2) PP slides are an adjunct to the presentation, NOT the presentation themselves. People go wrong when they try to put too much info on the slides and yes, when they read them. Two VERY serious no-no's. The OP's slides were mostly images - an EXCELLENT use of PP.

3) 'Detract attention from you'. Um, no. If that's the case then you have way too much info on your slides or you're a poor presenter or both.

Google 'adult learning styles'. You need to try and hit as many of those styles as possible in you're class if you're going to reach the biggest audience possible. You need something for the auditory learners (what you're saying), for the visual learners (this is your PP slides & practical demonstration) and for the kinesthetic learners (handling the guns, ammo etc).

Finally, 3x5 index cards are NOT recommended for ANYONE. There is nothing more distracting than seeing a presenter flip his cards and look down at them.

Practice your presentation enough so that you know what you're going to say. Use your PP slides as a place holder. Do NOT read your slides but glance at them and then turn back to the audience to talk. If you must look at them, cheat your body out (ie 3/4 turn to the audience so you're mostly facing them but can glance over your shoulder at the screen if you must).

Sorry boys, I don't mean to be argumentative, but...

saying that powerpoints are a bad way to teach is EXACTLY the same thing as saying that guns are evil and kill people

I didn't say power points are bad, what I'm saying is don't use power points for the basic pistol class. I've taken the basic class; I know what's in it. If you have under 30 people it is better to use props and talk to the audiance directly.

Make a handout of the diagram with part names
Don't show a powerpoint photo of a revolver, show a revolver
Don't show a powerpoint photo of a magazine, show a magazine, pass it around, let people handle it
Don't show a powerpoint photo of cartridges, show cartridges, pass it around, let people handle it
etc...

That's how my class went and it was great. For example, when the instructor wanted to show us the rifling in the barrel he walked around the room and showed us the rifling illuminating the barrel (removed from the pistol) with a flashlight.

If I wanted a power point presentation I'd just watch a you tube video.

Last edited:
Isn't that what speaker notes are for?

Blame the user, not the tool.

Bingo. The problem with presentations is that everyone thinks they can do it without any training or work in the area. "Oh it's easy, I'll just talk about what I know". Famous last words.

I didn't say power points are bad, what I'm saying is don't use power points for the basic pistol class. I've taken the basic class; I know what's in it. Provided you have a normal size group (under 30 people) it is better to use props and talk to the audiance directly.

Make a handout of the diagram with part names
Don't show a powerpoint photo of a revolver, show a revolver
Don't show a powerpoint photo of a magazine, show a magazine
Don't show a powerpoint photo of cartridges, show cartridges
etc...

That's how my class went and it was great. For example, when the instructor wanted to show us the rifling in the barrel he walked around the room and showed us the rifling illuminating the barrel (removed from the pistol) with a flashlight. If I wanted a power point presentation I'd just watch a you tube video.

Why not do both?

Show the PP image and send the magazine around the group so they can touch/feel it. If I'm holding a revolver up that's about 8"x5" can the person sitting in the back of the room REALLY see it???

You guys doing the NRA classes - outstanding that you're doing this and I'm sure you know your SH with respect to the subject, but how much work have you put in to perfecting your presentation skills/presentation building ability? If you're serious about doing this and if you're earning money from it, take some time and learn a bit about some technique. There's a lots of info out there, much of it free.

Back
Top Bottom