• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrel recommendation

so either way your going to need to do some series machine work or get some really nice files

Answer I got was to pick up a pitted or rusted or otherwise abused R1 barrel on the cheap and chop off the problem areas. No need for a blank!

yup thats a option?

Yeah, shouldn't be too much of an issue. Rhodesian and South African parts kits came into the US during the Federal AWB, so people sometimes cut the threading off the barrels, or the barrels are just pitted or rusted, or messed up crowns, etc. If a barrel has a messed up crown or threading, that's not an issue because I or a gunsmith will chop, re-crown, and re-thread the barrel anyways to get the right length.

Yeah, shouldn't be too much of an issue. Rhodesian and South African parts kits came into the US during the Federal AWB, so people sometimes cut the threading off the barrels, or the barrels are just pitted or rusted, or messed up crowns, etc. If a barrel has a messed up crown or threading, that's not an issue because I or a gunsmith will chop, re-crown, and re-thread the barrel anyways to get the right length.
gas port is in same place?
Do you have a picture of the barrel contour you need vs the "other" ?
I poked around for parts kits a while back and did not see much. i know one guy who has a few versions hes yet to call me back.

gas port is in same place?
Do you have a picture of the barrel contour you need vs the "other" ?
I poked around for parts kits a while back and did not see much. i know one guy who has a few versions hes yet to call me back.

All FAL gas ports are in the same place. Chopping the barrel wouldn't change that. This would be exactly the barrel profile, contour, etc. I need. Its even more ideal because it would have the right proof marks. I likely wouldn't buy a parts kit because I already have some parts and I need certain parts but not others. I also intend to comply with 922(r), so I'll be mixing in new US-made parts under the hood, such as the gas piston, fire controls, charging handle, and either the bolt carrier or the lower (FAL lowers aren't regulated parts, they aren't pressure bearing - that's the upper).

Back
Top Bottom