• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional...

Employee safety is a top priority for the Postal Service, which is why the organization wants to ensure everyone is aware of its longstanding policy on firearms on postal property.

A recent Florida district court decision is being misreported or may be misinterpreted as holding that the Postal Service’s ban on carrying firearms — either openly or concealed, or storing them on USPS property — is unconstitutional.

In fact, the case dealt with a different federal statute and does not involve the Postal Service’s regulation. Therefore, it does not change the organization’s policy.

Employees are reminded that carrying or storing firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives — either openly or concealed — on USPS property is prohibited and can result in discipline up to and including removal from the Postal Service, as well as potential prosecution.

This prohibition includes storing firearms in vehicles that are parked on postal property.

That's a crazy statement? Go to a post office to pick up my mail?

I barely check my mailbox

I had a post office box in CT for thirty-some years. Got it when I was getting divorced and kept it as I moved around. Came in particularly useful this last 8 years or so as I summered up there and lived down here. Finally closed it this past summer when I sold my CT camper.

My PO has a big sign on the door letting the serfs know it extra special punishable to carry a firearm around the King's men.
It even bigger at the employee entrance, a silhouette of a model 36 with a big red slash through it. NO WEAPONS! And the statute is listed with punishment.

Employee safety is a top priority for the Postal Service, which is why the organization wants to ensure everyone is aware of its longstanding policy on firearms on postal property.

A recent Florida district court decision is being misreported or may be misinterpreted as holding that the Postal Service’s ban on carrying firearms — either openly or concealed, or storing them on USPS property — is unconstitutional.

In fact, the case dealt with a different federal statute and does not involve the Postal Service’s regulation. Therefore, it does not change the organization’s policy.

Employees are reminded that carrying or storing firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives — either openly or concealed — on USPS property is prohibited and can result in discipline up to and including removal from the Postal Service, as well as potential prosecution.

This prohibition includes storing firearms in vehicles that are parked on postal property.
FWIW, that reads more like a rule for employees rather than one for someone walking in from the street. If there isn't a law against it (and I'm taking no stance on that, one way or the other), then I would think that the PO saying "No Guns!" would only have effect in a state where there was a law compelling you to follow such signs.

Last edited:
FWIW, that reads more like a rule for employees rather than one for someone walking in from the street. If there isn't a law against it (and I'm taking no stance on that, one way or the other), then I would think that the PO saying "No Guns!" would only have effect in a state where there was a law compelling you to follow such signs.
That’s how I interpreted it.

Back
Top Bottom