• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional...

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
This is a good start.

A federal judge in Florida on Friday ruled that a U.S. law that bars people from possessing firearms in post offices is unconstitutional, citing a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling from 2022 that expanded gun rights.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, an appointee of Republican former President Donald Trump in Tampa, reached that conclusion in dismissing part of an indictment charging a postal worker with illegally possessing a gun in a federal facility.

I really wish people would stop saying this. Because it’s stupid and misses the point on so many levels.

I mean, sure, that’s great, if you are just carrying to carry. Isn’t particularly helpful in any situation where you’d actually need it.
? Please expand on that thought, if you would.

There is an exemption....

I direct your attention to 18 USC 930 (d) (3)

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1)
the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2)
the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3)
the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

I really wish people would stop saying this. Because it’s stupid and misses the point on so many levels.

I mean, sure, that’s great, if you are just carrying to carry. Isn’t particularly helpful in any situation where you’d actually need it.

I always thought concealed meant something other than concealed, and sometimes I forget that concealed means concealed... Thankfully though, I do get reminded every so often on this very website that concealed does in fact mean, concealed.

Postal police are the biggest cock suckers on the planet...i swear they take the guys who get rejected from the atf and msp and have them sire a line of dick heads that go work for them
One of my National Guard officers was a Postal Inspector. Another guy who I helped train me at my current job is retired from being a Postal Inspector. Both were cool-as-F***.
People go to the PO?

Do you people work? When do you find time to go?
I know, right? My hours are their hours, except for Saturday mornings.

Postal police are the biggest cock suckers on the planet...i swear they take the guys who get rejected from the atf and msp and have them sire a line of dick heads that go work for them

One of my National Guard officers was a Postal Inspector. Another guy who I helped train me at my current job is retired from being a Postal Inspector. Both were cool-as-F***.

I know, right? My hours are their hours, except for Saturday mornings.
IMG_1249.jpeg

I f***ing dread going to the PO to ship anything

I have a ton of things I’d love to sell. But each would require a visit.

This is not even a can’t carry rant.

And I’m now wondering why my by 9:00 am mail delivery is now a 3:30-4:30 delivery?

There is an exemption....

I direct your attention to 18 USC 930 (d) (3)

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1)
the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2)
the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3)
the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
Ah, but check the definition of "Federal facility": a building or portion of a building where federal employees regularly perform work.

The USPS folks regularly claim they're not federal employees, because USPS is a federally chartered quasi-private corporation. If that's true, the PO isn't a federal facility.

Ah, but check the definition of "Federal facility": a building or portion of a building where federal employees regularly perform work.

The USPS folks regularly claim they're not federal employees, because USPS is a federally chartered quasi-private corporation. If that's true, the PO isn't a federal facility.
Yes and no. This poster, displayed in every post office i have visited:

https://about.usps.com/posters/pos158.pdf

Specifically mentions 18 USC 930....

I guess folks need to decide for themselves if they will or will not disarm....

Why does everyone seem to hate the post office? I don't mind it unless there's a long line.

Because most of them have bankers hours, and actually they're on average worse to visit than a bank. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom