• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baitcaster reels....tips for a noob

I enjoy fresh water ultra light fishing and want to try a baitcaster reel. Don't want to spend a lot of money on my first reel and I've found that UL baitcaster are almost nonexistent. The only one most people recommend is the Diawa (I think) Pixie series which is discontinued and expensive. So..what reel for a beginner baitcaster and is using it very hard. First words out of anyone you ask is the birdsnests are a nightmare. So help with some information for me you folks that use baitcasters, I'll owe you one.
I recently got one as a gift. Nothing fancy, but I’ve never spent for than $40 on a rod/reel combo. Lots of good info on YouTube to show you how to use it.

I like it but still prefer a spin caster

I stick to spinning gear. More time fishing, less time untangling my damn reel.

I got into baitcasters to huck big honking pike lures more easily. I also use them in the salt for stripers when chunking bait. I have no desire to try any finesse fishing with one.

Pro tip for beginner. Start with some 12lb mono. Strip off as much line as you think you can cast, pull a yard or two additional line off. Place some electrical tape across the spool. That will prevent a bird nest from getting buried deeply in the spooled line.

Definitely start with mono. It's way easier to sort out the backlashes with, and significantly cheaper when you can't and have to cut a bunch off.
Not to dissuade you from learning a new skill, and baitcasters are fun in their own right, but in ultra light stuff spinning reels rule.

I just picked up a saltwater baitcasting/conventional reel and took it out down the cape for the first time this weekend. .............................................................................................................................. From my research though, they're preferred over spinning reels by those who claim to know, so I'm going to put the effort in.

Needs be you can chuck a heavier weight significantly farther. ;)

calcutta.jpg

Amen. One thing I figured out pretty quickly (but still too late for the first couple of trips) is that you need to tune the reel so it doesn’t unspool too quickly. That made all the difference.

You definitely want to work up the acceleration. Too much of a "whip" during the cast can cause the spool to spin faster than the line as it pays out. I also thumb the spool, to act as a brake as the line slows down.

I know with my shimano calcutta b it's important to adjust the free spool so the line just barely drops from rod tip for each lure with different weights before you toss it.

How about suggestions for baitcast rod and reel for fluke and Black Sea Bass? I was thinking of a Quantum Accurist that is what John Skinner suggests, he has some really good instructional videos on YouTube.

Right now I use a 7’ med rod and 3000 or a 3500 reel Penn and Diawa Set ups with 25-30# braid.

How about suggestions for baitcast rod and reel for fluke and Black Sea Bass? I was thinking of a Quantum Accurist that is what John Skinner suggests, he has some really good instructional videos on YouTube.

Right now I use a 7’ med rod and 3000 or a 3500 reel Penn and Diawa Set ups with 25-30# braid.
I use the calcutta (six sizes i believe) for norther pike in canada and fluke/sea bass here. great reel. rod I would have to go look at but a st. croix something...way to much stuff [thinking]

Pratice casting in the back yard to get the hang of it. Use just a sinker at first. You'll lose fewer lures once you get on the water.

Back
Top Bottom