• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Backup trigger lock key

Are you asking if you can, as in is it physically possible to do so? Or are you asking about the permissibility/legality of doing so?

EDIT: Okay, you posted a clarification while I was typing. Sorry, can't really offer anything helpful in that regard.

Last edited:
Dont see any legal issue as long as the keys arent distributed or are available to anyone who is not authorized/licensed to access/posses the firearm.

Why not take it to hardware store / home depot and just ask?

A real locksmith could make them.

Whether the average untrained clerk in a big-box store is capable of making any keys that will actually work is a totally different question. That will vary from person to person . . . added to the difficulty of an adult with large hands working with a tiny key blank.

If you own any lock, there is no law that prohibits you from duplicating the key, period!

I don't know about those brands but some brands of locks have numbers on the keys. The number corresponds to the lock. As such, you can order that number key from the vendor. If its a big brand like masterlock, your local locksmith may even have some in stock.

I agree with LenS. I'd just google "locksmith" and your town and try that route before I trusted a clerk at Home Depot or the like.

If you mean a regular old trigger lock, I use combination trigger locks that you can set. They only run about $10.00-$12.00 each. The only keyed ones I have are cable locks for lever actions and they all use the same keys so I have a bunch.

Based on some of the gun locks I've used, they don't seem to do a wide variety of key patterns. By fumbling around for a few minutes, everybody managed to identify 3 or 4 that were keyed identically. That gives you all the back-up keys you could want, plus multiple locks.

Ken

I have bought groups of them at one time. If you check the key number stamped on the lock they all should be the same. You get two keys per lock.

OR

Buy a multi lock deal from a dealer. I bought a three pack of Master Trigger locks. Three Locks = 6 keys.

Hope that helps,

Back
Top Bottom