• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Background check on handgun purchase -- done by birth state or state of residence?

Had a coworker ask me an interesting question this morning.

He is an NH resident, but was born in MA.

Went to buy a handgun from a dealer in NH, and when the salesman went to call in the background check, my coworker asked him how long they were taking today.

The guy replied something to the effect of "only 10-15min, but since you were born in MA, they're the one doing the background check, so probably an hour"

I had never heard this before -- I thought if an NH resident bought a handgun from an NH FFL, NH State Police handled the NICS check, regardless of your state of birth?

Ironic that NH is as much of the problem as MA is on this particular issue (POC rather than NICS for handguns).

This is news to me...I was born in Wistah, Mass, albeit 60 years ago but my dad moved his ass outta Mass into northern NH in 1961 when I was all of 5 years old (smart move on his part). I've never had an issue with buying any firearms in my life.

Ironic that NH is as much of the problem as MA is on this particular issue (POC rather than NICS for handguns).

The NH NICS POC for handguns is a holdover from the Brady era that actually, at one time, allowed NH residents to dodge the brady wait period before that became defunct. The problem is that entire "idea" is now deprecated and the law must be changed to eliminate NH's NICS POC for handguns and allow dealers to just use the federal one for all transactions.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom