Back to the drawing board.....Need some identity help

BTSDOG

NES Member
Hello again,
Posted some pics recently of a beater cap and ball revolver that I got from my late father. Narrowed it down to an 1860 Army Model, cal. 44. Another member said he had the same ASM (Armi San Marco) revolver. Great I thought, now to get some parts to get her running again. Ordered some parts from a reputable company that deals in this stuff and when i got them, nothing fits. Parts all different. Mainly basing off the fact that the trigger and bolt screws are too oversized and wont even fit in the holes in the frame. And if you try to put an original part on the the pins, theres way too much play. I ordered a couple of screw sets from two more different companies in the hopes that one is right and ill figure out who made it. I did get it running again wit a bit of filing, fitting and tuning, but id like to keep it original to the maker. Anyway, heres a couple of pics, with the only markings found anywhere on the gun. The cylinder is engraved wit a navy scene which is common for the 1860 Army model. Also has four screws instead of three as in the 1851 Navy model.
Can anyone identify this cartouche, located on the bottom of the barrel........

2DB47841-D09F-4E82-9193-4527E2B31B07.jpeg 65D67A94-E0E9-4409-A0D9-9CF41506994B.jpeg 4EFBF122-8862-4B1C-A8AD-F9DBF6AC74C7.jpeg 05E49024-B89E-42B3-A33C-99B8748383A2.jpeg

I am by no means an expert, not even a casual user of these, but I can look at pictures and it looks more like a Pietta than an ASM reproduction.

A reproduction is to the original firearm, as a film is to a book.

There will be liberties taken.

The manufacturing techniques of the past may not map onto the needs of today's production lines.

What are the parts that are needed?
Was looking to replace all the internals, hammer, trigger, cylinder bolt, screws for same, trigger and bolt spring, and all the screws......Might just strip the whole thing down and add a new trigger guard, and backstrap also.

Found this:

The marking under the barrel is probably GDG rather than DG. These initials stand for Grassi, Doninelli and Gazzola, the founders of Armi San Paolo.

and this...

Armi San Paolo S.r.l., established in 1970, uses the last names of the original founders Grassi, Doninelli, and Gazzola as a symbol, DGG, usually contained within a circle. Beginning December 31, 2001, Armi San Paolo officially became Euroarms Italia S.r.l. The same logo is used on all Euroarms models. Armi Sport, which produces an exceptional line of single shot percussion pistols like the French Le Page, Sharps rifles, and the popular Spencer rifle for Taylor's & Co., uses an AC within a circle, (AC for Armi Chiappa founder Rino Chiappa's last name). Armed with this information it is now possible to identify the maker and year of manufacture on any black powder rifle, shotgun, pistol, or revolver produced since 1950.

halfway down page #14 http://acwsa.org/Documents/MBPProofmarks.pdf

Last edited:
Well now i know its not an ASM, PEDERSOLI,UBERTI, or PIETTA.... Its a ASP (ARMI SAN PAOLO), which is now EUROARMS of America. Made in the early 70's. But, its only marking is the Cartouche on the barrel. No other markings, serial numbers, nothing anywhere. Could this be a FRAKENSTEIN revolver with just an ASP barrel ???

what distinct differences tell you its a pietta, versus a uberti or pedersoli ?
Well if you really want to know my thought process....
I didn't recall it being said it was a reproduction, but with the black powder only and Italy markings I assumed it was.
I did an image search for Italian reproductions of the 1860 army.
I noticed a few distinct items that would be connected to the manufacturing process, so unlikely to change even when other things varied. These were the number and placement of frame screws, and the groove in the frame running horizontal where the cap is installed/removed. There seemed to be variation among the manufacturers as to how they dished out this area and whether or not the groove was present. I then looked at the overall lines.
Now as I said I'm not even an amature, so I couldn't start with a known list, I started with a google search. I also only spent a little time on it.
But I thought the screws made it obvious it's not the ASM the OP thought it was, and the Pietta looked like a good match.

I was very clear about my skill level so I hardly think what I said could be taken as saying that it was absolutely a Pietta.

Well now i know its not an ASM, PEDERSOLI,UBERTI, or PIETTA.... Its a ASP (ARMI SAN PAOLO), which is now EUROARMS of America. Made in the early 70's. But, its only marking is the Cartouche on the barrel. No other markings, serial numbers, nothing anywhere. Could this be a FRAKENSTEIN revolver with just an ASP barrel ???
Or some lesser manufacturer trying to jump on the ASP bandwagon, [devil]

Are these still being made in neighbor hoods where every other house is a gun manufcture? When they are not cobbling ?
Finding correct parts can be fun. Even if bought right from the manufacture. Any line changes not well documented can create problems. Like ford is natorious for mid year model changes!
euroarms at least has a parts diagram you can down load. A call to euroarms may help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom