• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AZ Gov Brewer Vetoes Campus Carry

Good, they can take it back and make it a real campus carry bill like Utah if they want to pass it at all. I did not like what was passed either to be completely honest, too many holes in it/exceptions.

Do you have a link to the text of the bill?

That's why I said in another thread I had mixed feelings about it. It's great that she's pro-2A. But in fact the legislature screwed this one up, not Brewer. If she signed it, gun owners probably would ultimately not have carried on campus because the law was like OUR law(s)...fubar. I just hope they actually do go back and do it right. I tend to give her credit because she didn't sign it just for the sake of being able to say she signed a pro-gun bill for her "resume".

According to about 10 news sources, she's going to resubmit it by thursday with language that will protect the gun owner. Apparently it's very vague and leaves holes large enough that a anti-2 leo could turn a legal carrying citizen into a criminal in .2 seconds based on interpretation and if the person crosses the imaginary line they made up. I'd like to see it re-written to be crystal clear....we all here should know this more than anyone being victims of the most vague and opaque gun laws in the country. I hope she follows through.

Anyone living under MA law should not only respect this decision but applaud it. The bill is far clearer than most MA law and still it is considered vague by AZ standards. Kudos to the AZ governor.

I haven't researched the current law or the proposed law yet, but I have to guess that the OCDO college carry map is inaccurate. It lists Arizona as green ("carry not statutorily prohibited") and Texas as red ("carry prohibited by statute").

As reported, it sounds like this bill would have improved AZ law to be in line with Texas, to make campus carry legal, just not in buildings. Texas law is actually very explicit on this; there's no room for interpretation, and carrying "on campus" is perfectly legal so long as you don't enter any buildings. Sadly, Texas doesn't (yet) forbid state colleges and universities from restricting students and staff from carrying, and almost all schools do.

Edit to add: the Fox article in the OP mentions the Texas bill, but doesn't explain that the Texas statutes only say "school", without defining that term. It's not limited to K-12, which is why people sometimes worry about church carry, because of "Sunday School". No, seriously, they do.

If pushed far enough, it could be argued that Texas bans "school" carry at karate lessons, dance and tumbling, and beauty school.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom