• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ayotte Sellout

She is supporting mental stuff, not the manchin toomey garbage.

"I believe that restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners will not prevent a deranged individual or criminal from obtaining and misusing firearms to commit violence. While steps must be taken to improve the existing background check system, I will not support the Manchin-Toomey legislation, which I believe would place unnecessary burdens on law-abiding gun owners and allow for potential overreach by the federal government into private gun sales."

Before you get too judgemental, this is NOT support for S.649, The "SAFE COMMUNITIES, SAFE SCHOOLS ACT OF 2013," AKA the Toomey - Manchin bill, being debated today.

The "Protecting Communities and Preserving the Second Amendment Act" is NRA sponsored legislation that has nothing to do with universal background checks or other anti-gun poison.

Christ, reading is fundamental.

Before you get too judgemental, this is NOT support for S.649, The "SAFE COMMUNITIES, SAFE SCHOOLS ACT OF 2013," AKA the Toomey - Manchin bill, being debated today.

The "Protecting Communities and Preserving the Second Amendment Act" is NRA sponsored legislation that has nothing to do with universal background checks or other anti-gun poison.

This. But the whole mental health thing I'm not sure how I feel about it.

This. But the whole mental health thing I'm not sure how I feel about it.

You make a good point. I think everyone agrees with the concept of "address[ing] mental health gaps in the criminal justice system," but the execution of that concept is going to be the piece to watch for. Too many legitimate concerns about excluding vets, or voluntary counseling, etc. It can be dangerous ground.

Yes it is, but what's contained within the NRA bill? My guess is it won't get traction, good bad or otherwise, because there's not enough anti stuff in it.

-Mike

Yes it is, but what's contained within the NRA bill? My guess is it won't get traction, good bad or otherwise, because there's not enough anti stuff in it.

-Mike
The Republican/NRA bill hasn't got chance, either, but it gives the ones who vote NO on Manchin-Toomey a fig leaf so they can say they voted for something.

-Mike

Agree. It's stated purpose is "...reauthorizes and improves the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), increases resources for prosecutions of gun crime, addresses mental health gaps in the criminal justice system, and responsibly addresses gun violence by criminalizing straw purchasing of firearms and gun trafficking..."

It's a cover bill, with none of the anti "Big 3" (AWB, mag limits, universal background checks), designed to allow moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats claim "See? I voted for tougher gun legislation" to their constituents without actually limiting anyone's rights. After Feinswine and Manchin/Toomey get beat down, this allows vulnerable Senators to say "We've made progress! We've crafted bipartisan legislation to combat crime!"

The mental health issue is a slippery slope of monumental proportions. Not giving in to that is just as important as all these firearm restriction proposals.

If I need to know if a politician is voting anti-liberty, I just ask myself "what would Ron Paul do?"

The mental health issue is a slippery slope of monumental proportions. Not giving in to that is just as important as all these firearm restriction proposals.

I think there's a persuasive argument that information on those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution should be reported uniformly across states, which in many cases it is not. That's certainly different than mandatory physician reporting, or HIPAA violating regulations, or .gov intrustion into medical records. I agree this is a hot button that needs to be addressed with caution.

If I need to know if a politician is voting anti-liberty, I just ask myself "what would Ron Paul do?"

Yeah, that would be the last question I would ask on the issue of "mental health."

Sorry to say but I called this....Ayotte is a sellout and not out to protect your civil rights.

She and her staff are so incompetent that they can't even include a bill number and/or link to the bill on thomas.gov.

She needs to be voted out along with Kuster/Shea Porter and Shaheen

Yeah, that sell-out. Supporting the NRA-sponsored amendment and voting NO on S.649 (Toomey/Manchin). Making you actually Google the amendment!!

Chris Cox, Executive Director of the NRA-ILA said this amendment “helps improve the National Instant Check System by improving the quality and the quantity of information contained within this system. It is a substantive step in the right direction and the National Rifle Association is grateful for the leadership and support of Sen. Coats.”

Additional cosponsors to the amendment include Senators John Thune (R-N.D), Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), Jim Risch (R-Idaho), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Mike Johanns (R-Neb.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and David Vitter (R-La.).

Look at all those losers she's associating with! What was she thinking!?!

Why are you still here?

Question; Straw Purchases and trafficking are already illegal correct? How can we pass another bill making them super illegal? If I buy a gun to give to a felon, I would already fall under federal laws. Just seems pointless. But we elect people to make more laws not support existing ones I guess.

Question; Straw Purchases and trafficking are already illegal correct? How can we pass another bill making them super illegal? If I buy a gun to give to a felon, I would already fall under federal laws. Just seems pointless. But we elect people to make more laws not support existing ones I guess.

It's going to make the illegaler

:p

Its a further expansion of an unconstitutional infringement of RKBA......lets not even get into the cost of the NRA debaucle.

I agree wholeheartedly! Look at all the infringements in the amendment!

The Protecting Communities and Preserving the Second Amendment Act focuses on preserving the Second Amendment while fixing the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), providing resources to help address mental health and school safety, protecting veterans from false health determinations and addressing gun trafficking and straw purchasing.

This legislation would:

•Improve and reauthorize grants for NICS database;
•Require federal courts to submit relevant information to NICS;
•Ensure that relevant mental health records are submitted by states to NICS;
•Condition federal grant money for states on their submission of mental health records to NICS;
•Increase federal prosecution of gun violence by establishing the Nationwide Project Exile Program and establishing a high level federal taskforce;
•Create a study on the causes of mass shootings;
•Responsibly address gun violence by criminalizing straw purchasing of firearms and gun trafficking;
•Ensure Second Amendment protections for veterans;
•Require the Department of Justice to explain to Congress why it has or has not been prosecuting gun cases;
•Place limitations on Fast & Furious type operations by DOJ;
•Authorize Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) to utilize the NICS database to for voluntary background checks of employees;
•Authorize FFLs to access the FBI’s National Crime Information Center stolen gun database to ensure that a firearm is not stolen prior to acquisition;
•Reauthorize the Mentally Ill Offender Treatment and Crime Reduction Act (MIOTCRA) with amendments; and
•Address school safety by Reauthorizes the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Secure our Schools Program through 2023.

For the "it's already illegal" crowd, the argument is the penalties for straw purchases/trafficking aren't sufficient to provide deterrance. This amendment doubles, and in some cases, triples, the penalty for knowingly trafficking in firearms.

Increased penalties are fine. But how it reads to John Q Public and anti gun people is that currently straw purchases are fine and dandy. In fact lots of people seem to think this is how Sandy Hook happened.

The girlfriend or friend of the guy (now dead) who killed the CO prision director was arrested for straw buying him the gun he used. He was a convicted felon, recently out of prison so he got his gf to buy for him. Shes going away for some time.

Increased penalties are fine. But how it reads to John Q Public and anti gun people is that currently straw purchases are fine and dandy. In fact lots of people seem to think this is how Sandy Hook happened.

Good point. You can never underestimate the ignorance of the general public.

I was actually impressed a lot of Senators and even some media swine went out of their way to point out a universal background check bill would not have stopped Sandy Hook.

Ayotte sold out a long time ago when she allowed that crazy felon Greg Floyd, who murdered Liko Kenney, walk free.

You see, murder isn't murder in some cases. You can say what you want about the incident, but for me Liko was clearly pushed over the edge by a maniac cop who was acting WAY OUT OF LINE (and had a history of acting out of line) and got what he had coming to him. Liko on the other hand, was murdered in cold blood.

Ayotte sold out a long time ago when she allowed that crazy felon Greg Floyd, who murdered Liko Kenney, walk free.

You see, murder isn't murder in some cases. You can say what you want about the incident, but for me Liko was clearly pushed over the edge by a maniac cop who was acting WAY OUT OF LINE (and had a history of acting out of line) and got what he had coming to him. Liko on the other hand, was murdered in cold blood.

not-this-shit-again.jpg

Obvious troll is obvious.

Not sure you read the article....its not well written.

Ayotte is listed in the article as one of the 7 uncommited votes......she hasn't committed to voting for or against T/M

Furthermore the GOP Progressive substitue bill is nothing more than an unconstitutional expansion of existing unconstitutional statutes

Get with the program. Look at the date on the "7 uncommitted votes." Yesterday.

Now look at same site, 1521L Today:

posted at 3:21 pm on April 17, 2013 by Allahpundit
Barring last-minute schedule changes, the Senate votes on nine, count ‘em nine, amendments to Reid’s gun-control bill starting at 4 p.m. ET. Manchin/Toomey goes first, then comes the GOP’s alternate bill. Cornyn’s bill on concealed-carry reciprocity will follow a bit later, then Feinstein’s assault-weapons ban and a vote on banning high-capacity magazines, among others. If you can’t get C-SPAN 2 on your TV, you can watch it here. With Ayotte and Heitkamp having finished off Manchin-Toomey, the only major bill whose outcome is a mystery right now is the GOP alternative. Will Dems kill that in retaliation and hand Republicans a talking point about opposition to new gun laws being bipartisan, or will they send it to the House on the “something’s better than nothing” theory? Either way, here’s your thread to comment; stand by for updates and the roll call for each vote.

Not sure you read the article....its not well written.

Ayotte is listed in the article as one of the 7 uncommited votes......she hasn't committed to voting for or against T/M

Furthermore the GOP Progressive substitue bill is nothing more than an unconstitutional expansion of existing unconstitutional statutes

She is voting against manchin toomey. She announced that this morning.

GOP Sen. Kelly Ayotte Announces Says She Will Vote Against Manchin-Toomey, Amendment Now DOA? | Weasel Zippers

- - - Updated - - -

Get with the program. Look at the date on the "7 uncommitted votes." Yesterday.

Now look at same site, 1521L Today:

Typing at the same time. Ipad slowed me down.

Back
Top Bottom