Standard Sen. Ayotte and Rep. Kuster responses

July 8, 2016
Dear Mr. ZZZZZZ:

Thank you for contacting me regarding my efforts to prevent known or suspected terrorists from legally buying firearms. I appreciate hearing from you.
As we continue to address the aftermath of the Orlando attack, I have been working with my colleagues on how to make sure known or suspected terrorists cannot purchase firearms, while also protecting the constitutional rights of American citizens. While the Orlando terrorist was not on any government watchlist when he purchased his guns in June, he had been investigated previously by the FBI and was temporarily placed on the Selectee List - a narrower subset of the terrorist watchlist that requires extra screening at airports.
We need to understand why the FBI closed its investigation and why he was removed from that list, but this situation also underscores the need to make sure terrorists are not able to purchase guns.
On June 20th, the Senate failed to advance two proposals on this issue offered by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and John Cornyn (R-TX) - both of which had failed previously mostly along party lines. I had concerns with both - namely, that Feinstein's proposal was overly broad and lacked sufficient due process protections for Americans, and that Cornyn's may not provide enough time to stop a terrorist from purchasing a gun. Despite my concerns, I voted to advance them in order to force a debate on this issue and find a better solution.

I believe that solution is common sense legislation I helped draft with a bipartisan group of colleagues that prevents terrorists on the No Fly and Selectee Lists - narrower subsets of the broader terrorist watchlist - from purchasing guns while ensuring due process rights for Americans who believe they may be mistakenly on these lists. On June 23rd, our measure - the Terrorist Firearms Prevention Act - passed a key procedural vote in the Senate, demonstrating there is a path forward on this issue that both parties can support, and I will continue my efforts to advance this proposal. Please find attached my recent op-ed to read more about my views on this critical issue.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. It is important for me to hear from you regarding the current issues affecting New Hampshire and our nation. Please do not hesitate to be in touch again if I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kelly A. Ayotte
U. S. Senator

July 6, 2016

Dear Mr. ZZZZZZ,

Thank you for reaching out to me with your views about proposed changes to our nation’s gun laws. Listening to my constituents is a fundamental part of my job as it helps me to best represent you and New Hampshire's priorities in Congress.
I am a firm believer in the right to keep and bear arms enshrined in the Second Amendment. In the wake of the tragedies in Newtown, CT, Aurora, CO, Fort Hood, TX, and other communities, I also believe a conversation is needed over what more can be done to keep our schools and communities safe, including our military bases. There is room for common sense measures to accompany and complement our constitutional freedoms, such as increased access to mental health services and background checks to limit gun ownership for individuals with dangerous criminal histories.
As our nation continues to have a conversation about how to prevent these horrific shootings, I will continue to meet with New Hampshire law enforcement officials, hunters and sportsmen, school administrators, first responders, mental health counselors, gun owners, and all other stakeholders to discuss the best way to protect the rights of responsible gun owners and ensure the safety of our children and communities. Reducing gun violence should not be a partisan issue, and I strongly believe that both parties can and must come together to get serious about preventing future tragedies.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. I strive to maintain an open dialogue with the people of New Hampshire about issues important to our district. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my Concord office at (603) 226-1002 or my Washington, DC office at (202) 225-5206. I also encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at [url]http://Kuster.house.gov/contact/newsletter[/URL], visit my website at [url]http://Kuster.house.gov[/URL], follow me on Twitter at @RepAnnieKuster, or check out my Facebook page at [url]http://www.facebook.com/CongresswomanAnnieKuster[/URL].

Sincerely,
Mp_OhFlF4xU8RY976Scjyx7AET-gP-EnpWyAL4Hfg_SmdMpYhNL3N6HzewPmEzFINjWFOTblIJtiTGnGUb1tbBQ_vHSSkFjVXfue5c6pk5Ei7Y5VJ8aLds7n1UKbjKH7ORPXeXu6DPg6PwyKvsylTn4m=s0-d-e1-ft

Ann McLane Kuster
Member of Congress

Any comment that contains the word or words "commonsense" or "common sense" you can immediately dismiss as bullshit.

"Thank you for contact us, but we don't give a shit what you want or that you like freedom."

Bingo! I have an identical letter from Ayotte and one from Kuster coming soon. It does lead me to believe that contacting these congress critters is futile.

The only "Conversation" that should be happening is who we're going to replace these ass clowns with

Back
Top Bottom