Axe

You start playing with Chainsaws and you always end up wishing that you had a back up. It really sucks when you bind a saw in log and have to cut the ****er out by hand. There isn't a cutter that has been cutting for any length of time, that hasn't done it at least once.
No doubt. We are buying a bunch of outdoor stuff and the guy is throwing in a small Poulan, but I don't knw if it runs, although it's barely been used. They don't have a great reputation but for free I can't go too wrong. I've also realized I didn't get anything to sharpen the chain.

Last edited:
Pretty damned frustrated with Stihl at the moment. Some branches came down in Boston and I wanted to cut them up. Put in fuel and oil and look for the primer bulb the manual says to use "if equipped." Wound up searching the iwebz to discover the 271 does not have one. Put it on full choke per instrcutions and pulled, it sputtered once. Tried a few more times, then shut off the choke in case it was flooded - still no dice. of course, dealer is not open on Sundays...

Pretty damned frustrated with Stihl at the moment. Some branches came down in Boston and I wanted to cut them up. Put in fuel and oil and look for the primer bulb the manual says to use "if equipped." Wound up searching the iwebz to discover the 271 does not have one. Put it on full choke per instrcutions and pulled, it sputtered once. Tried a few more times, then shut off the choke in case it was flooded - still no dice. of course, dealer is not open on Sundays...

If you arent familiar with the equipment and cutting in general get someone with experience to help you and show you the ropes. Chainsaws arent something to toy with.

Another vote for Fiskar, I went out to play with my X7 Hatchet today that I got for my b-day. Thing works great, had to be careful not to take my foot off but it worked very well. Light weight but sturdy, I cut down a few sapplings and limbed a few trees I had down in the yard with it.

I have two axes I got at yard sales for about $2 each but most yard sale axes are beat up so bad they're not worth even $2 unless you just happend to have extra handles that fit that particular head! Most yard sale finds take a considerable amount of effort to reshape the head and sharpen--I've done it once and it was fun but buying new is far more practical.

there's an old saying that if you have 6 hours to chop down a tree then spend the first four sharpening the axe

thus, get a puck sharpener and a blade cover too!

I love these guys, lots of options, but no fiskars:

http://store.harryepstein.com/search?q=axe

Last edited:
In my experience with my 2 strokes, as soon as it sputters or even if it might have, turn off the choke right away. Usually they start right up. Also, get the Stihl ultra synthetic oil.

No doubt. We are buying a bunch of outdoor stuff and the guy is throwing in a small Poulan, but I don't knw if it runs, although it's barely been used. They don't have a great reputation but for free I can't go too wrong. I've also realized I didn't get anything to sharpen the chain.
I have a 20" Poulan as a backup to my Husqarvana. It's underpowered but has been reliable for the past 5 years.

Fiskar tool are great until the fiberglass handle breaks. Not replaceable. (Now all the guys who've had one for 25 years will chime in that the handles never break. Trust me, they do.) For a handy, take-along addition to the chain saw, one of the Estwings or the Huskie axe is probably your best bet. Hopefully the Estwing is still made in USA. I have several of their claw hammers, two brick hammers and their 3-pound sledge. Can't wear them out. Stay away from any Chinese-made striking tool - they say they're tempered, but I've seen them chip hitting 8-penny nails.
I have a few old axes including a Norlund and a True Temper, but they don't see much action. Two Stihl saws, a big lopper and sometimes a bow saw usually are plenty. I use a Sawzall with a demo blade if I have to go up a ladder and cut and there's power nearby. They also make a handle that takes Sawzall blades and folds up like a jackknife.

I've been using a Kukri on our property. Takes everything up to a couple of inches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You start playing with Chainsaws and you always end up wishing that you had a back up. It really sucks when you bind a saw in log and have to cut the ****er out by hand. There isn't a cutter that has been cutting for any length of time, that hasn't done it at least once.

Exactly!

I never go cutting without two or even three chainsaws with me and an axe. Although I try to read the log position, I've bound a saw more than once and it makes life much easier to just reach for another and cut a relief cut to free it. The axe rarely gets used but it's plan C if needed.

Saws with no primer bulb, once it sputters, you shut off choke and start it. Same with saws with compression release, like some of the larger Husqvarna saws.

Also make sure you have a bar wrench, preferably two. One in your vehicle ( the go to one if the other is lost) and one in a bucket with bar oil, chain file, a couple of spare bar nuts, screwdriver and what ever other tools you might need.

Yeah, I tried that. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow morning, where it will undoubtedly start on the first pull....

Saws with no primer bulb, once it sputters, you shut off choke and start it. Same with saws with compression release, like some of the larger Husqvarna saws.

Also make sure you have a bar wrench, preferably two. One in your vehicle ( the go to one if the other is lost) and one in a bucket with bar oil, chain file, a couple of spare bar nuts, screwdriver and what ever other tools you might need.

This, my Husqvarna has a primer bulb but this is still how it works. Mine you prime, put on the choke, pull till it sputters (usually once or twice), choke off then it fires right up. I've cut about 36 cord or so with my 455 Rancher, just a large homeowner saw but it works pretty well. I wouldn't mind something with a bit more juice for my next saw though.

This, my Husqvarna has a primer bulb but this is still how it works. Mine you prime, put on the choke, pull till it sputters (usually once or twice), choke off then it fires right up. I've cut about 36 cord or so with my 455 Rancher, just a large homeowner saw but it works pretty well. I wouldn't mind something with a bit more juice for my next saw though.

Look for a older 372, about the best overall saw on the planet. There's not a tree service around that doesn't have a few of these in the trucks.

Jason.

I always keep an extra bar and chains with me just for this. I don't do it often, but I'll just pull the head off and put the spares on and cut my way out. Cheaper than a spare saw.

I use a brush hook way more than an axe - the long handle and heavy blade is great for up to small trees. They're usually around $40 when you can find one..

brushhook.jpg

Holy shit guys, dude posts a thread asking for opinions on a good Axe and the first 50 posts are why he doesn't need an axe/tools that aren't axes. Lol.

Holy shit guys, dude posts a thread asking for opinions on a good Axe and the first 50 posts are why he doesn't need an axe/tools that aren't axes. Lol.
Don't need an axe, use a chainsaw.
But chainsaws are dangerous, don't use those, either.
But machete and string trimmer got a pass.

Eventually I got the info I wanted.

I always keep an extra bar and chains with me just for this. I don't do it often, but I'll just pull the head off and put the spares on and cut my way out. Cheaper than a spare saw.

Yes, I keep a spare bar and several sharpened chains in addition to spare saw/s. The one time I didn't have the spare stuff with me( cutting after my day job on a large construction site) I had to dismantle a stuck bar and leave it until the next day. It was freezing cold, I was soaking wet and getting hypothermic, hands getting numb and it was almost too dark to see. That experience changed my outlook on having everything with me all the time. Spent that evening laying in front of the wood stove with a roaring fire and drinking hot broth to warm up.

Experience speaks volumes.
in the storm this weekend two branches 3-4" in diameter came down in our yard. An axe and machete would have made quick work of cutting them into bag size.

Took the chainsaw back to the dealer and he confirmed that I'd flooded it and once wet the plug wasn't going to fire.

He put it on full choke, pulled it through once, then went to part choke and pulled it through. It started after a few more pulls so I'm all set.

I pulled it through multiple times on full choke as it did not "burp" and that was my downfall.

in the storm this weekend two branches 3-4" in diameter came down in our yard. An axe and machete would have made quick work of cutting them into bag size.

Took the chainsaw back to the dealer and he confirmed that I'd flooded it and once wet the plug wasn't going to fire.

He put it on full choke, pulled it through once, then went to part choke and pulled it through. It started after a few more pulls so I'm all set.

I pulled it through multiple times on full choke as it did not "burp" and that was my downfall.

This is why it's crucial to keep a plug wrench on hand.

Back
Top Bottom