• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Camping Ax

Signa427

Banned
What company makes good camping axes? I Would like to have a nice wood-handeld stainless steel axe that i can use to cut a tree down, or use to split *Dry* wood. Cabelas Selection aint doing it for me anymore, so i need some advice.

+1 on the Fiskars axes. I have had one for 2years now and have used it on everything from taking off limbs to cutting roots off of stumps. The plastic handle was a turn off for me at first but after all this time it held up wonderfully.

There are two models that they sell one has a wider head for splitting and one that is normal width. You are not using this axe for splitting but the extra weight on the splitting model gives you a good initial bite for limbing. When sharp, you can take off 1 inch limbs in one stroke...and up to about 3 inch limbs are very manageable. The splitting model is not that great for cutting thru larger stuff.

I do plan to buy the skinny head model at some point...although I may look for a double sided axe instead.

EDIT: the x15 model is the skinny head and the x17 is the same length with splitting head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom