Atlantic Tactical - New Shop in Westwood MA

Can they not have a section of guns that are LE only, like I see at many shops? Between this policy, and their bid on the Jersey City contract I want nothing to do with them.

That would have required them to sign other contracts for sales of "civilian" guns (different skus, have to track which are sold to who-LE program vs. other), minimum volumes to get good pricing, etc. They made a business decision.

I'm LE, but not police (any more) and have been in the place 3 times now. Grand Opening (curiosity) where I bought some cleaning patches, to meet someone from NES and yesterday just to get answers to the questions asked here since their change of policy.

They are a friendly bunch but I (as a Constable) have no use for almost anything they carry and am unlikely to go there except on extremely rare occasion. Yes, I qualify to buy their guns, but I'm not a Glock person (we already own some) and I already have my M&Ps before they ever opened. YMMV

I doubt most here would find anything there that they need/want that they can't get cheaper at Four Seasons or Wal-Mart. They are a list price shop (other than occasional specials).

Personally, I'm just reporting the info and don't care if folks like the place or not. Each person can make their own decisions, by reporting the facts (just like MA gun laws), it gives each of you the ability to make an informed decision, nothing more and nothing less.

I stopped in at Atlantic Tactical yesterday and spoke with Andy (I think he's the Asst. Mgr).

- Ammo sales to anyone with MA LTC/FID, EXCEPT the Ranger series of ammo (restricted to LE only due to contract with Winchester).
- Officially they only carry Winchester ammo, but occasionally a shipment appears from corporate with other brands (they had AE .223 at $8.95/box yesterday).
- Andy says that you can order ammo shipped to store for pickup. He's unsure if corporate will charge you shipping to the store or not.
- All guns are restricted to LE sales only.

Interestingly they had signs that BATFE asked them to put up . . . no use of cell phones at the gun counter. Apparently in other parts of the country in particular, people are using their cell phones at the gun counter to facilitate straw purchases, thus BATFE has been asking some (all?) gun shops to prohibit use of cell phones while at the gun counter. Yup, that'll solve the straw purchase problem I'm sure! [laugh]

Is the LE restriction just for their store in MA? I ask because I see the following on their website when I was browsing the handgun section:

Q: Why did Atlantic Tactical change it's policy to only allow gun sales to Public Safety personnel?

A: Given our small volume of commercial gun sales and the high cost of liability insurance, we have decided to not renew our commercial gun dealer agreements. We will continue to do business under our Law Enforcement dealer agreements which limit sales to Public Safety personnel. This category includes Fire, EMS, Active and Retired Military with Retired Credentials, Licensed Security Officers, Judges, District Attorneys as well as Active and Retired Law Enforcement officers with Retired Credentials.

Due to Atlantic Tactical's distribution agreement with GLOCK, Law Enforcement Blue Label Pistols can only be sold to individuals in the following states: PA, NY, NJ, MA, MD, DC, VA

NOTE: We do not ship firearms/weapons to the State of California.

What I get from this is that they will still sell their weapons to not only LE, but to any person in public safety. What's your take Len?

Is the LE restriction just for their store in MA? I ask because I see the following on their website when I was browsing the handgun section:

Q: Why did Atlantic Tactical change it's policy to only allow gun sales to Public Safety personnel?

A: Given our small volume of commercial gun sales and the high cost of liability insurance, we have decided to not renew our commercial gun dealer agreements. We will continue to do business under our Law Enforcement dealer agreements which limit sales to Public Safety personnel. This category includes Fire, EMS, Active and Retired Military with Retired Credentials, Licensed Security Officers, Judges, District Attorneys as well as Active and Retired Law Enforcement officers with Retired Credentials.

Due to Atlantic Tactical's distribution agreement with GLOCK, Law Enforcement Blue Label Pistols can only be sold to individuals in the following states: PA, NY, NJ, MA, MD, DC, VA

NOTE: We do not ship firearms/weapons to the State of California.

What I get from this is that they will still sell their weapons to not only LE, but to any person in public safety. What's your take Len?

True, assuming state law allows for that. MGL does NOT allow sales of Glocks to non-LE and other models/brands may be the same.

Given our small volume of commercial gun sales and the high cost of liability insurance, we have decided to not renew our commercial gun dealer agreements. We will continue to do business under our Law Enforcement dealer agreements which limit sales to Public Safety personnel. This category includes Fire, EMS, Active and Retired Military with Retired Credentials, Licensed Security Officers, Judges, District Attorneys as well as Active and Retired Law Enforcement officers with Retired Credentials.

what a bunch of freedom hating dipshits

there's different insurance requirements for a gun dealer selling to retired military vs. retired housewives? I'm calling BS on that.

cue the out yourself posts

Last edited:
what a bunch of freedom hating dipshits

there's different insurance requirements for a gun dealer selling to retired military vs. retired housewives? I'm calling BS on that.

cue the out yourself posts

No idea, but wouldn't be surprised these days. If anyone here deals commercial lines of insurance they can address this issue.

However, SKUs are different, agreements with mfrs are different and separating paperwork for mfr audits has to be a PITA if you carry both LE Dealer and "other dealer" lines of the same product.

Once Joe Blow walks in there and looks around, they aren't likely to come back often as it offers almost nothing to the non-public safety crowd. That's why I've blown by AAA Police Supply hundreds of times/year and not stopped. Same here.

My son leaves for basic training next week and wanted a new 5-11 backpack for his new adventure.

We visited Atlantic Technical, hoping to find it in stock. Well, they had the right backpack but not the right color.

We dealt with Adam who was great. He looked online and found they had one in that color in their NY store. He called them and asked them to fed-ex it to the Westwood store. He said without calling it could sit on the shelf for a few days, but he knew Joe needed it quickly.

Next he gave Joe 15% off because of his new military journey. And today when picking it up they insisted on sewing on an American Flag patch.

Great customer service for sure.

Thank you, Adam and Atlantic Tactical.

They will not sell weapons to civilians so I say the hell with them I would not spend a single nickel at Atlantic tactical

+1
I am working right up the street wiring the new appt complex and stopped in there to buy a gun, no go. That was and will be the last time I step foot in their door.

Once Joe Blow walks in there and looks around, they aren't likely to come back often as it offers almost nothing to the non-public safety crowd. That's why I've blown by AAA Police Supply hundreds of times/year and not stopped. Same here.

I've got some good deals on ammo at AAA. Also, they are really nice. I always get a little notebook when I buy something from them.

+1
I am working right up the street wiring the new appt complex and stopped in there to buy a gun, no go. That was and will be the last time I step foot in their door.

Unrelated...but that area is really coming along. Wish I could afford those apartments and the sports complex.

They will not sell weapons to civilians so I say the hell with them I would not spend a single nickel at Atlantic tactical
+1 I am working right up the street wiring the new appt complex and stopped in there to buy a gun, no go. That was and will be the last time I step foot in their door.
Yep. Atlantic Tactical = Dead to me now. Screw them.

Really wish I grabbed a Shield at 300 when they serviced us civies.
Well, here's my strange story: After the whole intelligence-insulting "$25 background check fee" mess was resolved, I went in there to buy an M&P9 (FS) for the $350 sale price since I already owned a Shield.

For whatever stupid, crazy-assed reason, I let myself be talked into buying second Shield for $300 instead... and to defer buying the M&P9 until my next trip north (after payday but well before the sale price was to end).
Well, you guessed it. Suddenly, overnight and before payday, the Goddamned store turns cops only. [crying] Now, the next best deal on an M&P9 becomes the $500 range kit at Four Seasons. [thinking] Opps!!! [frown]

Never did get my M&P9. Later, I bought a VP9 instead. But I am still pissed at them and myself for allowing them to pull the old switcheroo. [angry]

Selling to LE only, they'll be out of business within months.

Seriously. ****. Them.

There are a few other shops that more or less do this... since their primary revenue isn't from guns they're probably not going anywhere.

-Mike

They have been open for quite some time now, so that is not the case. They also carry all of the on duty gear in stock that a LEO may need for his/her job.

There are a few other shops that more or less do this... since their primary revenue isn't from guns they're probably not going anywhere.

-Mike

It's a cop shop, plain and simple. The new ownership (corporate) made a decision to NOT renew contracts with gun mfrs for the civilian sales (different contracts and pricing than LE sales). Selling both means managing paperwork and SKUs for both categories, means more warehouse space, logistics, etc. Although I don't like the idea, I do understand it from a management point of view.

AAA gave up all gun sales years ago and survives very nicely. They still maintain the FFL and sell ammo to anyone, but the rest of the shop is really of no interest to anyone not LE or security. AT is a small chain of stores and is and will survive very nicely without civilian gun sales (and frequent BATFE visits about alleged PPs trying to buy at a shop).

Back
Top Bottom